Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Kingdom Builder: Crossroads» Forums » Rules

Subject: Outpost: Adjacency rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
Hidden trackable information in games sucks!
badge
I play games for fun and pursuing the goal to win the game is fun! :)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a rule question I have on the new location tile Outpost:

Its description says: "You must build this settlement adjacent to one of your settlements, if possible."

Sounds as usual at first. But I think in this case its meaning isn't entirely unambious.

I *think* it is supposed to mean that as long as you have any settlements adjacent to any terrain type eligible for building, you must build there.
Which means that if you have a settlement adjacent to for instance an empty canyon, but have none adjacent to empty grass, you can't use your Outpost to build on grass, you must choose a terrain type that you have adjacent settlements to (such as canyon).

But from the wording of the description, I think it could also mean that you only need to build adjacent to one of your settlements if you choose a terrain type to which you have an adjacent settlement. Meaning if you choose grass in the example above, you could build on any empty grass on the board.
So this would practically be "choose the effect of either Farm or Oasis or Garden or Forester's lodge or Monastery".
Which would seem awfully strong as the strength of its effect strictly dominates all of the other 5 location tiles. Which is why I think this is not how it was meant. But strictly judging by the wording of the rules, I can't be certain and would therefore propose to change that wording if still possible.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Darador wrote:
Here is a rule question I have on the new location tile Outpost:

I do not know the published names of the abilities and somehow your question is not enough information for me to tell which ability this is.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
Darador wrote:
Here is a rule question I have on the new location tile Outpost:

I do not know the published names of the abilities and somehow your question is not enough information for me to tell which ability this is.

They don't show you the rules for sanity-checking before printing?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
Hidden trackable information in games sucks!
badge
I play games for fun and pursuing the goal to win the game is fun! :)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:

I do not know the published names of the abilities and somehow your question is not enough information for me to tell which ability this is.


The entire text for it is:

P. 2 of the English rule PDF (emphasis in original) wrote:

Outpost
Build one settlement on a space of any terrain type eligible for building. You must build this settlement adjacent to one of your settlements, if possible.
The terrain types eligible for building are grass, canyon, desert, flower field, and forest.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Darador wrote:
P. 2 of the English rule PDF (emphasis in original) wrote:

Outpost
Build one settlement on a space of any terrain type eligible for building. You must build this settlement adjacent to one of your settlements, if possible.
The terrain types eligible for building are grass, canyon, desert, flower field, and forest.

I am embarrassed to say that I am not familiar with this ability.

I am looking at the image of the boards, this must be the one depicted as house, curved arrow, hex with a question mark. I was expecting that to be "draw a card and put a piece on that terrain."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
russ wrote:
They don't show you the rules for sanity-checking before printing?

They did not show me this rulebook. I did get to see the Nomads one (and caught something but missed something).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
Darador wrote:
P. 2 of the English rule PDF (emphasis in original) wrote:

Outpost
Build one settlement on a space of any terrain type eligible for building. You must build this settlement adjacent to one of your settlements, if possible.
The terrain types eligible for building are grass, canyon, desert, flower field, and forest.

I am embarrassed to say that I am not familiar with this ability.

I am looking at the image of the boards, this must be the one depicted as house, curved arrow, hex with a question mark. I was expecting that to be "draw a card and put a piece on that terrain."


I think that is a much better ability than the one they morphed it into. I believe it might be a bit too powerful to be able to choose which of two terrain cards you use each turn. What do you think?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
Hidden trackable information in games sucks!
badge
I play games for fun and pursuing the goal to win the game is fun! :)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:

I think that is a much better ability than the one they morphed it into. I believe it might be a bit too powerful to be able to choose which of two terrain cards you use each turn. What do you think?


I think it sounds like he doesn't yet know that other location tile, either...

What rickert was getting at is a different location tile called "Crossroads", which has a plus sign and the back of a terrain card as its symbol:

P. 2 of the English rule PDF wrote:

Crossroads
Draw one additional terrain card at the end of your turn.
During your next turn, you choose which of your two terrain cards you will use for both your mandatory action and your extra actions, if any. Discard both terrain cards after you have finished your actions.
Draw the first additional terrain card at the end of your turn during which you gained this location tile.


So from what you wrote I assume this wasn't designed like this by you, either, Donald?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Darador wrote:
P. 2 of the English rule PDF wrote:

Crossroads
Draw one additional terrain card at the end of your turn.
During your next turn, you choose which of your two terrain cards you will use for both your mandatory action and your extra actions, if any. Discard both terrain cards after you have finished your actions.
Draw the first additional terrain card at the end of your turn during which you gained this location tile.


So from what you wrote I assume this wasn't designed like this by you, either, Donald?

I'm not sure why you think I have commented on this already.

If it goes on to say, "if the two cards are the same then pick any of the five terrains" then this ability is exactly as intended. If it doesn't say that then it's working how it worked when it was in the main set back when; at some point I decided that getting a random reward when the two cards were the same was better than randomly punishing you.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pato rumura
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
Darador wrote:
Here is a rule question I have on the new location tile Outpost:


I *think* it is supposed to mean that as long as you have any settlements adjacent to any terrain type eligible for building, you must build there.
Which means that if you have a settlement adjacent to for instance an empty canyon, but have none adjacent to empty grass, you can't use your Outpost to build on grass, you must choose a terrain type that you have adjacent settlements to (such as canyon).



This seems pretty clear to me in either German and English. If you are adjacent to grass and canyon, you can place an extra settlement to either one of these terrains. If your not adjacent to desert, you can not just simply place an extra settle on desert.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pato rumura
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
donaldx wrote:
Darador wrote:
P. 2 of the English rule PDF wrote:

Crossroads
Draw one additional terrain card at the end of your turn.
During your next turn, you choose which of your two terrain cards you will use for both your mandatory action and your extra actions, if any. Discard both terrain cards after you have finished your actions.
Draw the first additional terrain card at the end of your turn during which you gained this location tile.


So from what you wrote I assume this wasn't designed like this by you, either, Donald?

I'm not sure why you think I have commented on this already.

If it goes on to say, "if the two cards are the same then pick any of the five terrains" then this ability is exactly as intended. If it doesn't say that then it's working how it worked when it was in the main set back when; at some point I decided that getting a random reward when the two cards were the same was better than randomly punishing you.


No, unfortunately it does not say anything about what is going to happen if you draw the same card, but I get you point concerning the reward Donald.

Also, one thing that is unclear is, what happens after I have chosen one terrain and I have discarded both cards? Do I get to draw two new cards as long as I have the crossroad chit or is it only valid for one turn, like the nomad chits?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The latter seems likely, from the phrasing "draw your first additional card".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pato rumura
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
qwertymartin wrote:
The latter seems likely, from the phrasing "draw your first additional card".


I read the rule again and think you are right. You just keep on drawing two cards for the rest of the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.