Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pat Gagnon
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone played this sufficiently yet to tell me how long the game plays with certain number of boards and possibly the time impact on how aggressive or nice players are with the effects cards?

Trying to decide how many boards/effects cards to include for various time slots such as after school club (less than 1 hour) and regular game nights (more than 3 hours available).

Thanks,
Pat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Baker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hmmm.

We played two games last night; 1 with two players and 1 with three. Each of the games were played with the beginner recommended set up of five boards.

In total, the games took around an hour and a half. While I did not time them, I would say the two player game took around a half an hour, while the three player went around 45 minutes.

I was surprised at how swiftly the games played, though that might have been impacted by our not having the chance to play many effect cards.

The best of the effects was when my wife sent our daughter's salmon tumbling over a waterfall, directly into the jaws of a hungry bear. It might be a slightly off-topic observation, but I had a good laugh over that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Catron
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the game countless times and timed many sessions.
Here is my estimation of how most games go (not counting the rules explanation)

Using 5 boards:
2-3 player gamers= 18-30 min
2-3 player non-gamers= 20-40 min
4-5 player gamers= 30-40 min
4-5 player non-gamers= 35-50 min
Using 6 boards:
2-3 players= add about 5 minutes
4-5 players= add about 5-10 minutes

Obviously river set-ups with many hard boards and waterfalls will take longer than easier boards.

Boards with bears icons in the water, lots of currents, and aggressive players will make for longer games (though loads of fun).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Baker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

One of the reasons my wife dislikes Flashpoint: Fire Rescue is that she claimed the game was too easy. I wanted to avoid that in our third game of Salmon Run, so I went the 6 board route with 2 Medium and 2 Hard boards (Cataract Falls being the last one before the Spawning Pond).

No hyperbole: It was one of the best games we have played against each other in the five months we've been board gaming; very challenging; very aggressive. We even rolled the dice three times in the game!

2 players - ran about 35-40 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.