GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Everybody wants to be a Game Designer but nobody wants to be a Game Designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
This session report features the Witch. As in my previous games I'm using my standard optional rules listed at the end.

The Witch can be a powerful character if she can get a little lucky. In multiplayer games, if she takes too long finding a suitable monster to absorb, then she may not have much left for her to kill and score any points. This shouldn't be a problem in solo play.

My plan is to find the Tremendous Flying Dragon (TFD) and kill some groups of monsters or natives for the high multipliers. Absorbing one of the Tremendous Dragons is also an option but much more limited. I would start looking in one direction while my familiar searched in another. Finding spells to read runes just didn't really appeal to me this game. I placed 0 points in Great Treasures, 0 points in Spells, 2 points in Fame, 3 points in Notoriety, and 0 points in Gold.

I picked Broomstick to help me escape from harm during my initial searching, Absorb Essence, and Prophecy. (I strongly thought about getting Remedy instead of Prophecy but decided not to since I wasn't searching for any spells this game.)

The map was a pretty favorable setup with the Inn near the middle of the board and close to the Borderland. Top and right were above ground and the Witch would explore those areas while the familiar went left and south searching through the cave tiles.

On day 1 I moved to the Borderland and found Ruins C and Slither 6. A Heavy Dragon appeared in clearing 6. Day 2 I ended in Nut Woods and found some Bones and two Ogres. I killed them from hiding for 6 Notoriety.

On day 3 the familiar found clues at the Caves and saw Stink C and Roar 4 (Cat's can see smells and sounds, right?) while I ended in Pine Woods revealing Smoke and the Small Campfire in clearing 5. I continued into Deep Woods and only found Ruins M and Flutter 1 while the familiar moved through the Caves.

The familiar exited the Caves on day 5 into the Mountain and on the next day found Bones M and the Lost Castle: Altar 1, Vault 3, Lair 3, Shrine 4, and Roar 6. It also found the hidden path in Mountain 4-6.

The only tile unexplored in the top part of the map was Crag and I made it there hidden on day 6 but only found Smoke M and Flutter 2. I could have cast Broomstick at this point but I wouldn't have made it far. I would need to move through some valleys to get further south before flying to the southern part of the board.

I moved south for two days, but before flying away I risked peeking into the Cavern tile. Made my hide roll and found Bones C and Patter 5. I cast Broomstick that evening and flew towards Linden Woods (either route in the woods would lead me to the Ruins). I could have just run from the clearing and flown directly to the Ruins on the next day using up to four fly phases but I wanted to explore the woods around there too.

Linden Woods had Ruins W. The next day I hid and moved to Oak Woods and found Stink W and the Large Campfire on day 11.

My familiar had been in High Pass and failing to find anything for five days. On day 11 it eventually saw Dank C and Pool 6.

Finally on day 12, I entered the Ruins to find Smoke C and the Lost City: Slither 3, Howl 4, Howl 5, Cairns 5, and Hoard 6. Even better, the monster roll was a 1 and the TFD appeared in clearing 6 and a Tremendous Dragon appeared in my clearing. Unfortunately, I had failed my hide roll. I ran away. (I could have absorbed the TD and probably would have if the Hoard hadn't also been there. I ran, knowing if I was lucky it would still take me two days to reach the TFD.)

I made it back unhidden into the clearing with the TD and a Tremendous Spider showed up in clearing 5. The familiar made it onto the Ledges.

Day 14 could have been tricky because a failed hide roll would keep me stuck in the wrong clearing. I decided that nothing should be able to hurt me, moved unhidden into clearing 6 and cast Absorb Essence on the Tremendous Flying Dragon that evening. (The only danger in the tile was the Tremendous Dragon because of it's longer head. It wouldn't be able to move to clearing 6 because if the monster roll was a 1 it would return to the setup card first.) I flew away at the end of combat so I could get four phases next day.

On day 15, the familiar found Dank M and the Statue 2 at the Ledges. At a dead end, it would spend most of the next two weeks just moving back through mountain and cave clearings.

I made it back to the Large Campfire fully rested on day 17 when the Company showed up. They were my allies, my compatriots. But the dragon I had absorbed was hungry. Before I could shout a warning, I was transformed into the TFD and had killed their great swordsman. Trying to load his weapon, the crossbowman was next. In turn, they all fell to this ravenous beast that I had absorbed into me and I gained 89 Notoriety and 16 Gold. (Nice story, but I just chose to attack them for the points.)

Resting up on day 18 the Lancers showed up. They Insulted me and charged! Where once stood the wrinkled old hag they had reviled was now a tremendous armored beast of death and destruction. I had to fatigue two grey magic counters to continue combat, but I was able to kill all four of them for 40 Notoriety and 8 Gold.

It took two days to rest up from all of that and I went back into the Ruins on day 21. The monster roll was a 6 so nothing regenerated but I was able to kill the Tremendous Dragon for 10 Fame and Notoriety.

I rested up again on day 22 and the Axe Goblins appeared in clearing 4 while the Spear Goblins appeared in clearing 5, joining the Tremendous Spider. I moved there on day 23 hidden while two Heavy Serpents appeared in my previous clearing. I was able to kill one Spear Goblin before the Tremendous Spider hit me and flipped. I was forced to kill it for only double the points but I managed to kill the rest of them in 8 rounds for 38 Fame and Notoriety.

With just a few days left, I planned to hike up into the Cliff and enchant it to provide purple magic for my Prophecy spell. I made it unhidden on day 27 and enchanted the tile while my familiar found the hidden path in Ruins 1-5. Cliff had Stink M and Patter 2 and a Heavy Spider attacked me while another appeared in clearing 2. I was forced to transform again and cooked it with dragon breath, but I was unable to cast prophecy.

On the last day I just went to the axe goblins clearing, knowing that if the monster roll was a three they would come back and I wouldn't risk the goblin swordsmen at all. Hopefully the roll would be a two and the serpents would join us. The monster roll was a 3 and I easily killed the goblins in six rounds for 21 Fame and Notoriety.

Witch Wins with 43 Victory Points. She had 0 Great Treasures, 0 Spells, 72 Fame, 207 Notoriety, and 34 Gold (-10 for starting cost=24).

Interesting Note: the only tile I didn't explore was Maple Woods which obviously had Dank W.

-----------------------------------------------------

Optional rules selected were: Caching, Dropping and Losing Belongings, Ambush Rules, Serious Wounds, Grudges/Gratitude, Enhanced Artifacts and Spell Books, both for Wizard, Captain, Woods Girl, Magician, both for Druid, Persistent Chits, Birdsong Rearrangement, No Spell Limit, Decline Opportunity, No Mission/Visitor Flip, No Campaigns, Knights Adjustment, Watchful Natives, Extended Grudges, Benevolent Spells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
GodRob wrote:
Resting up on day 18 the Lancers showed up. They Insulted me and charged! Where once stood the wrinkled old hag they had reviled was now a tremendous armored beast of death and destruction. I had to fatigue two grey magic counters to continue combat, but I was able to kill all four of them for 40 Notoriety and 8 Gold.

This doesn't sound correct.

Rule 4.6.4i allows a character to voluntarily fatigue color chits during the Encounter Step in combat.

Rule 4.6.9e specifically prohibits a transmorphized character from using his action chits in any way, with the single exception that he can fatigue a color chit to energize a Permanent spell. There's nothing here to suggest that he can voluntarily fatigue a color chit as per 4.6.4i just to keep combat from ending, if there is no Permanent spell in the clearing that could be energized by that color chit.

I would not have allowed this, and if this occurred in RealmSpeak it should be reported as a bug in the program.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richfam wrote:
GodRob wrote:

This doesn't sound correct.

Rule 4.6.4i allows a character to voluntarily fatigue color chits during the Encounter Step in combat.

Rule 4.6.9e specifically prohibits a transmorphized character from using his action chits in any way, with the single exception that he can fatigue a color chit to energize a Permanent spell. There's nothing here to suggest that he can voluntarily fatigue a color chit as per 4.6.4i just to keep combat from ending, if there is no Permanent spell in the clearing that could be energized by that color chit.

I would not have allowed this, and if this occurred in RealmSpeak it should be reported as a bug in the program.

Thanks Jay. I've submitted the bug. I somewhat remember when the opposite was reported as a bug a few years ago and the feature was added, so someone must have had a very convincing argument. I hope Robin still has his notes from back then.

As a follow up, should I have been able to use a Black magic counter to extend combat, energizing the already energized Absorb Essence spell?

Looking back through my record, combat should have ended after round 6. If it was possible to fatigue the other Black magic instead the of the Grey, then I have no problem "rewriting history". The second fatigue was on round 8 but I managed to kill L1's pony anyway to continue combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
GodRob wrote:
I somewhat remember when the opposite was reported as a bug a few years ago and the feature was added, so someone must have had a very convincing argument. I hope Robin still has his notes from back then.

I did a quick search of my Magic Realm Mailing List archives to see if this situation had ever been discussed during the preparation of the 3rd edition rules, but I didn't find anything there.

GodRob wrote:
As a follow up, should I have been able to use a Black magic counter to extend combat, energizing the already energized Absorb Essence spell?

I want to say no, because if the spell is already energized then nothing happens when another matching color chit is fatigued, so it would be no different than fatiguing a Grey chit. But I can't find anything in the rules that addresses this question, so one could argue it either way.

The main issue here for me is that in basic Magic Realm, absorbing a Tremendous armored monster (and in particular the Tremendous Flying Dragon) is a tactic that can break the game: you can win the game just by casting a single spell. Your session report here is a perfect example of this. If transmorphized characters are allowed to fatigue color chits just to keep a battle going, it makes a tactic that is already too powerful even *more* powerful... and that's not good.

(This is yet another reason why I only use the Optional Combat Rules, where absorbing the Tremendous Flying Dragon is no longer a game-winning tactic.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
On day 1 I moved to the Borderland and found Ruins C and Slither 6. A Heavy Dragon appeared in clearing 6. Day 2 I ended in Nut Woods and found some Bones and two Ogres. I killed them from hiding for 6 Notoriety.

I feel like I'm overlooking something obvious here, but with your spell choices and lack of a weapon, or any fight chit stronger than L3, how did you kill the two Ogres?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jardeon wrote:
I feel like I'm overlooking something obvious here, but with your spell choices and lack of a weapon, or any fight chit stronger than L3, how did you kill the two Ogres?

from the tutorial in the files section:
Quote:
A character that plays a Fight chit without a weapon is assumed to be using a dagger with negligible weight/harm and one sharpness star. There are no dagger counters in the game, but every character always has a dagger available. A dagger is always played with a Fight chit whose strength exceeds the dagger’s weight, so its basic harm of negligible is increased one level to L. Against an unarmored target, the sharpness star will increase it another level to M.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
jardeon wrote:

from the tutorial in the files section:
Quote:
A character that plays a Fight chit without a weapon is assumed to be using a dagger with negligible weight/harm and one sharpness star. There are no dagger counters in the game, but every character always has a dagger available. A dagger is always played with a Fight chit whose strength exceeds the dagger’s weight, so its basic harm of negligible is increased one level to L. Against an unarmored target, the sharpness star will increase it another level to M.

Gotcha: for some reason I had mis-remembered the Ogres as being Heavy vulnerability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richfam wrote:
GodRob wrote:
I somewhat remember when the opposite was reported as a bug a few years ago and the feature was added, so someone must have had a very convincing argument. I hope Robin still has his notes from back then.

I did a quick search of my Magic Realm Mailing List archives to see if this situation had ever been discussed during the preparation of the 3rd edition rules, but I didn't find anything there.

GodRob wrote:

I want to say no, because if the spell is already energized then nothing happens when another matching color chit is fatigued, so it would be no different than fatiguing a Grey chit. But I can't find anything in the rules that addresses this question, so one could argue it either way.

The main issue here for me is that in basic Magic Realm, absorbing a Tremendous armored monster (and in particular the Tremendous Flying Dragon) is a tactic that can break the game: you can win the game just by casting a single spell. Your session report here is a perfect example of this. If transmorphized characters are allowed to fatigue color chits just to keep a battle going, it makes a tactic that is already too powerful even *more* powerful... and that's not good.

(This is yet another reason why I only use the Optional Combat Rules, where absorbing the Tremendous Flying Dragon is no longer a game-winning tactic.)

You make some excellent points there. I never even thought to use this strategy until it was added to Realmspeak.

In the long rung, it's difference of 16 notoriety assuming she managed to kill the remaining two lancers on the following evening. In future, I'll try not to abuse this option.

Robert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.