Kenneth Wynne
United States
Allison Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Wynners Circle Games
mbmbmbmbmb
For about 4 months I have been working on a game I dubbed "Piñata." I took it to a big game day and tested it and have been doing a bunch of play tests since. I was working the way I wanted and we were working on smoothing out a few of the rough spots in the bribing and trading mechanics. One day I was scanning over BGG (like everyday) and came across a game on the hotness named Piñata. Needless to say I wasnt very happy about it. Now my game has a different set of mechanics and seems to be a bit deeper. My question is, should I even continue on the game or move on? The few games I am trying to make I pride myself on using odd themes. This one I was beaten to though. So what do you fellow designers do when an idea you have is snatched up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rename your game to Suikawari; make it about hitting a watermelon with a baseball bat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheWynner wrote:
For about 4 months I have been working on a game I dubbed "Piñata." I took it to a big game day and tested it and have been doing a bunch of play tests since. I was working the way I wanted and we were working on smoothing out a few of the rough spots in the bribing and trading mechanics.

Bribing and trading in a game about piñatas? Hmmm....

Quote:
One day I was scanning over BGG (like everyday) and came across a game on the hotness named Piñata. Needless to say I wasnt very happy about it. Now my game has a different set of mechanics and seems to be a bit deeper. My question is, should I even continue on the game or move on? The few games I am trying to make I pride myself on using odd themes. This one I was beaten to though. So what do you fellow designers do when an idea you have is snatched up?

Ironically, Piñata was designed over 10 years ago, but was re-themed by the publisher to be released as Balloon Cup in 2003. I don't know if that makes you feel better or worse. Either way, I can understand your disappointment.

Only you know enough about your game to know:
1. Whether you could re-theme it
2. Whether it really is different enough to co-exist (it sounds like it would be)

If you keep the theme, you would presumably need to rename the game. It could be a tweak like "Piñata Party", or maybe something related but different like "Cinco de Mayo Party".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Wynne
United States
Allison Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Wynners Circle Games
mbmbmbmbmb
B a n j o beat me to the Gallagher reference lol. My buddy says I shouldn't give up on it either due to my game being different mechanically. Piñata Party doesnt sound like a bad idea since the first player marker indicates that its your birthday and entitles you to a special ability for the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely don't give up on it. Generally, if you have an idea, 10 other people had it too. Pinata Party seems like a good compromise, and the different mechanics and clear public domain of the theme should have you in the clear legally (note: I am not a lawyer), while naming the game after Gallagher (or even the idea of smashing watermelons with a sledgehammer) might actually cause problems (Gallagher is kind of a dick from what I understand).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The watermelon thing is something they do in Japan that has nothing to do with Gallagher. I doubt it'd cause problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This happens fairly often.

Here are the options.

1: Add to the name. Like Lord of the Pinata, Pinata Tycoon, Pinata Wars, The Great Game of Pinata, Not That Other Pinata Game. (Just dont call it Viva Pinata. Taken allready. :ninja:)
The easiest change without compromising your game. Battletech started out as Battledroids.

2: Rename and retheme it totally. Not the best, but in some cases it can be relatively easy and painless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.