Popular Tags: SNEW [+] Pyuredeadbrilliant [+] [View All]
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 3rd Saturday of the month is when the wargamers meet at our friendly host Nick's house for some gaming. SNEW (Southern New England Wargamers) has been meeting since 2006. This month saw 9 gamers appear and 3 games getting played. Axis & Allies: WWI 1914 was on the kitchen table with 4-5 players.
The dining room had the block games, Hammer of the Scots & The Guns of Gettysburg.
Our GoG game had ScottP (Union) vs. ScottH (Confederate).
Turn 1- July 1st at 7AM started great for the rebellion as Dorsey Pender's troops arrived at the crack of dawn. No Union reinforcements can even hope to appear before 9AM, so I have a jump. The down side is the objective disks can start moving backwards immediately.
I spent two turns bringing them in by road moves into forward positions threatening the Union cavalry blocking the Chamberburg Pike.

This was the last Confederate division to appear until after noon! Luckily, a Union Corps showed up by 10AM, stopping the objective disks from moving. The morning ended rather quietly while Robert E. Lee scrambled to get ANY other Confederate division to show up.
At 1PM another Rebel division appeared, so attack plans could finally be made. I hit the Union defensive line and we each took losses, but the +1 Confederate attack advantage swung the battles my way. The Union line was forced to withdraw and reform on the next ridge line. I drove them off of McPherson & Seminary Ridges this way. Losses for both side were relatively small, but the Union troops were backed up to the town and needed to reform their lines.

Between 2 to 3 PM we each received another reinforcement. He was still moving the disks, but the next unit would stop the disks for good. I decided to go for a log turn starting at 4PM and it ended at 7PM. It turns out both of us received reinforcements at 4PM,. The disks were stuck in their spots the rest of the game. The Union had pulled the center spot back from west of Gettysburg and had it safely behind Cemetery Ridge. The ones on Culp's Hill and south of town had yet to move.
I decide the long turn would help me quickly extend my line to the southern objective. It tuns out we both also received additional reinforcements during that long turn. Scott was able to road move quite a few of these next to the center & southern objectives. This was a little disheartening as the long turn ended up helping him too!

We both started maneuvering and I fully set my sights on the southern objective inside the historic Confederate lines.
July 1st night fell and both armies were jockeying for position, but the faster Confederate army had more troops near a lightly defended Union objective.

July 2, 1863:
I did a 3 hour turn from 5AM to 8AM to redraw my chits and get ready for the attacks. This allowed the Union line to start extending from Cemetery Ridge towards the southern objective, but I had more troops that were closer and felt okay with this last big movement. My idea was to keep attacking until I had the objective. The 1 hour turns would limit his movement while the terrain favored the Confederate rapid movement to that contested area.
At 9AM the attacks began. No slow-footed Confederate generals THIS July 2nd!

I won, attacked again at 10 O'clock. and at 11am, the Union was forced to withdraw away from the objective.

I moved over the star claiming it. The Confederates took a hold stance but made the next turn only an hour long, forcing the Confederates to either declare an attack or withdraw stance at the end of the shortened turn. This would not give the Union a long turn. From noon onward, the Union would have to attack, then all turns would be an hour long. I positioned my self to attack the weakened units driven from the objective so that I could declare an attack. I certainly did not want to be forced to say withdraw as that would let the Union go second each hour!
By 2PM the Union were just about out of chips, leaving them with no attack options. At noon they had launched an assault at the captured objective star, but the hastily thrown together attack had no artillery support. The Confederates did. Between excellent artillery choices on their tray and 5 cannons on the defensive positions, they generated the largest bombardment seen yet at 9! This generated 3 hits, eliminating the attacking corp!

I had fresh units and artillery to back them on the objective. Scott knew it was over after that, but he gamely attacked the Confederate left flank. His all but last attack was won as Howard beat Johnson.

He said post war they opened a hotel chain with orange roofs.
He only had one chit left, so he conceded after the epic Howard-Johnson battle and we called it a night with a stunning Confederate victory at 3PM on July 2nd.
This shot is when he conceded. Note the large dead pile on the north side of the map.

When I dumped out the Confederate battle bag, there were not a lot of counters left. Had I not grabbed that objective I am not sure how much of an offensive drive I could have put forth on July 3rd. I attacked early and often, but I really was heading for an empty tank and was lucky that the one objective was so close to my lines!
Another fun game with fewer rules errors. I'm starting to really enjoy this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice write up. Captures the flavor nicely. And it seems like a distinctly different flavor from NT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we might have nearly missed discarding counters on attacks, but am sure we caught it at the last second each time. We made sure to keep the objective markers far enough apart. I think I missed some subtleties in reading the map though.

I have to say the game while long, does not feel like it. Around the end of the 2nd or 3rd hour (game timeline, not playing time) we had put Gettyburg the movie on. Previously Braveheart was supporting the adjacent game of Hammer of the Scots. Before what seemed like no time at all I was looking up and commenting that there was no way the movie could be over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Ulman
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for the write up! I'm quite excited to try this myself and appreciate the growing trickle of session reports.

How long did your game take in total?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
Your AAR has arrived in Richmond. The Confederacy commends you on a well written AAR and a stunning victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ulmangt wrote:

How long did your game take in total?

Tough to say exactly as there were a few breaks along the way. We started setting up around 5:30. Scott needed a rule recap which took probably an hour with all the distractions. I'd say we were definitely under way by 6:30.
We had a large dinner break at some point, but the time flew by. I think the 10AM turn when I captured the objective hex was around 11PM. By midnight we were talking with our hosts, slowly packing the game and I enjoyed a few sips of a very nice single malt scotch provided by my host.
I was in my house by 12:40PM.
Best guess...between 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 hours with 5 hours being a best guess. Sorry I can't have any precision on this. We were absorbed and having fun, plus it is hard not to watch the other games and chat with our friends. I kept checking on the progress of Axis & Allies: WWI 1914 as it has popped up on my gaming radar.
One of our friends, Matthew is going to Scotland later this year. That is why he requested Hammer of the Scots this month. We have scheduled ourselves to play Chainmail, the Bannockburn (1314) scenario at next months SNEW. I will let two other players grab GoG and play at May SNEW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Silverman
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic writeup, and that did look like Scotch in the picture! Looking forward to getting to play this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am so looking forward to trying this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason I got it in my head that we would resupply markers during the night turn when the battle pool was reset. Again my fault for not verifying this with the rules. Using this "knowledge" I took a withdrawal order to redress my lines. I had some units off on my right flank that were sort of isolated from the rest of the battle line and pinned as well. It think we were actually fairly well mutually pinned except for 1 Confederate block. I saw withdrawing them and fussing over the rest of the line as an opportunity. In reality I should have let that flank be. It probably didn't really need help and the rest of the line wasn't really in need of work.

I'm not sure about forcing the Union into an absolute attack mode if an objective is taken. This will potentially lead to suboptimal attacks, well ok that can happen in war too. It will also cause you to peter out at some point as you only have so many tokens available. Allowing time to marshal more resources or march into a better position wouldn't seem that bad. Maybe an attack every other turn. Or let them do what they want but keep the objective of having to get the marker back by nightfall. I want to go back and read the designer notes to see if there is a justification given. I'll also need to play a few more games to check for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Haggerty
United States
flag msg tools
spizio wrote:

I'm not sure about forcing the Union into an absolute attack mode if an objective is taken....I want to go back and read the designer notes to see if there is a justification given.

I don't know if an explicit justification will be found, but the rule's effect makes its intent clear: if the Union loses full control of any objective on July 2 or 3, the Army of the Potomac is in a crisis.

Victory conditions evolved throughout playtesting. And the Attack order requirement, onerous as it is, was actually added as a mitigating element. Previously, the game simply ended in a CSA victory under the same conditions that now trigger the mandatory Union Attack orders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.