Myth» Forums » General

Subject: Who is planning to Solo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dolem Thorn
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I still find it strange that the game is listed as 2 to 5 players, when they have said there will be a solo mode. Also in a co-op you can always solo multiple heroes.

Are there others out there planning to primarily solo with this game? What concerns/ideas do you have for solo play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I'm sure I will give it a shot, but honestly the main draw for me is the team collaboration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark guckeyson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am, when my kids aren't feeling it. There's a quote in the MYTH_FAQ from Brian about why they didn't list it as "1-5" players. Basically, they thought it would imply a single Hero as solo play, which will require some tweaking. I personally felt that was in error. The game is playable solo, straight out of the box. How many Heroes you have to play at once doesn't really change that. Maybe they'll change it later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dolem Thorn
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Mice and Mystics is listed as 1-4 players, even though when playing solo you control multiple characters. I really think they should fix that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dolem Thorn
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
We could all vote it to be recommended with 1, but it feels strange doing that when you haven't played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markguy wrote:
How many Heroes you have to play at once doesn't really change that. Maybe they'll change it later.

I think when it comes to a blurb like the players on the side of the box, its in their best interest to give the most complete accurate information possible. Saying 2-5 is doing that. Most people who understand a co-op game will understand they can play it solo. Indicating a 1-5 player set up would require a footnote indicating that this means playing one player with multiple heroes and a single hero version requires minor rules adjustments and by then its not longer a little graphic on the back of the box but rather a disclaimer paragraph.

The most accurate information in the most efficient way. That's why they did it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Boucher
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolem wrote:
I still find it strange that the game is listed as 2 to 5 players, when they have said there will be a solo mode. Also in a co-op you can always solo multiple heroes.

Are there others out there planning to primarily solo with this game? What concerns/ideas do you have for solo play?

I actually had an exchange with one of the designers on another thread about recommended number of players. He said he was going to talk to his partners and discuss changing the player numbers to 1-5. That was a couple of weeks ago though, so sounds like they're playing it safe and not explicitly advertising solo.

But I plan on soloing this one - looking very much forward to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark guckeyson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:

The most accurate information in the most efficient way. That's why they did it.

I understand and am not, y'know, frothing over it. But for folks who have moved away from gaming groups, searching for solo games is a big deal. And that's going to mean MERCS isn't reaching a significant, if hopefully minor, portion of their potential customer base.

I know of no game that claims to be solo ready while also insisting that solo means "single hero" instead of "single player". If the rules state that to play on your own means you have to play a party, that's different than saying "there is no effective way to play this game solo".

Zombicide would be the most relevant example I could quote of a game saying "1-6" players while meaning "if one player, control four heroes". That's not inaccurate, that's just how it works. Star Trek: Expeditions for a non-Kickstarter example. As a negative example, Super Dungeon Explore cannot be played by a single player, unless they're schizophrenic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan on playing both solo and in groups, although I'm sure I'll enjoy playing with others more...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Barnes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure I will be playing it solo occasionally. And I will definitely play it solo 2-3 times before I break it onto the table for game night While I definitely prefer the group aspects of board gaming, especially in co-op games, there are times where I am bored or just want to play something and no one else wants to.

I am glad there will be solo rules, of some sort, and it seems like you could easily do it by just playing 2 heroes at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan on playing my first 2 or 3 games solo. This is just so I can get a handle on the rules, and darkness activation before I introduce it to my friends (girlfriend in particular, she's not a fan of being confused by rules).

It just means I should be able to explain things better, I'm so bad usually the first few times I play a game on explanation & following of the rules properly, solo should help..I hope =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dolem Thorn
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Myth BGG page is now showing it being recommended for 1. That works, even if it's officially 2-5 still.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolem wrote:
The Myth BGG page is now showing it being recommended for 1. That works, even if it's officially 2-5 still.

Not everybody uses BGG though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.