Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ace base
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand this is NOT the rules, but I kind of like the idea of you building YOUR race from start to finish.

Without spoiling anything for me, is there some reason this is not a good idea? Is it detrimental if we do do this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Keeping spoilers to a minimum, this directly contradicts some of the unlocked mechanisms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wolfe
United States
Imperial
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My group went into this game wanting to stick with the same faction throughout, but there are events that occur in the game (appx session 5 for us) that caused us to change to the selection of different factions per game.

It was one of those "had I known then what I know now" situations, we likely would have selected different factions for each session from the get go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fleece
United States
New Baltimore
MI
flag msg tools
Jesus Christ is Lord of my life.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't do it. You will be missing out on a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Parsons
United Kingdom
Salford
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, are you guys saying you're meant to change factions each game? That just seems strange, not how we've been playing at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, that's a Japanese CTR ring shield cut in half...
mbmbmbmbmb
My group has kept same factions throughout. When certain events occurred...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
we added a new player
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yror wrote:
Wait, are you guys saying you're meant to change factions each game? That just seems strange, not how we've been playing at all.
You're meant to have the option of changing factions each game. If you've been playing the most powerful faction, then obviously you don't have much interest in changing -- but everyone else does. Re-read the rules on starting the game (determine first player, first player chooses any faction, first player chooses start spot, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group read it wrong, and played with the same factions for several games - I wish we hadn't.

In any case, by doing this you miss out on a LOT of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Some factions will inevitably become better than others. The game adjusts for this by balancing faction choice against other start-game advantages as the rules change.

Thing is, there's nothing to stop you all trying to get the same faction each game. If your group all want to play the same faction every game then, without spoiling anything, they will. It won't be breaking the rules, the rules will never force you to choose "another player's" faction. They will just given you the option to.

But house-ruling out that option would take out a huge chunk of the game. But it's fine for people to have a 'favoured' faction and the reality is that unless that faction is massively over-powered, they'll probably get to play with it 80% of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.