Popular Tags: [View All]
Jukka Höysniemi
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Everyone playing the game in BGA has probably noticed that there are still some bugs in the game even though the developer has been bravely battling against them. As the designer I thought I'd point out some of them that may alter the game experience to a large degree compared to the actual card board version (which you can get by supporting us on KSwhistle).

The reason why I am doing this is that the BGA campaign is mainly used to promote the game in Kickstarter and we wanted everyone to be able to try the game out before making the decision to back it or forget it. Of course the bugs might affect that decision especially if the person is not yet familiar with the rules.

So here are some of the bugs I (and some others) found that I feel might affect the experience:

- Game ends one round too early (this is important since the game is already very short)
- You can only upgrade 1 junk part with 1 Workshop action. You should be able to upgrade unlimited parts. This kind of ruins one Junk Yard strategy.
- Scoring is not correct after the game. I would advice people to check their score before leaving the game.
- Adding Scrap parts doesn't always work out the way you want it to.

You can also post some of the bugs you experience in this forum to help the developer fix them.

http://forum.boardgamearena.com/viewforum.php?f=4

EDIT: I think it is safe to say that all of the mentioned bugs have been fixed and the game seems to be running smooth.

Cheers,
Jukka

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not exactly a bug, but more of a request for add-on.

Since 2p & 3p games have certain cards taken out from the new parts stack, maybe it'll be better if we're able to see how many tiles are left in the stack? (So we know when the end is near)

Or is it intentional that players can only rely on their memory on how many tiles have been cycled through? blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jukka Höysniemi
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It is mentioned in the rules that this is hidden information but of course when you see the actual tile stack in the card board version it is fairly easy to calculate the number of tiles left, especially in the end game.

This rule was written basically to prevent the players from fiddling with the stack and calculating the tiles during the game. The idea was to give the players a good estimate of how long the game lasts but not the actual figure.

The BGA version is lacking this at the moment but there is a percentage indicator of the game duration in the top right corner. As a rule of thumb a normal game lasts 5 rounds with 4-6 players and 5 to 6 rounds with 2 or 3. It is theoretically possible for the game to end even in 4 rounds but very unlikely.

Currently 8 junk part tiles and 3 new part tiles are removed in 2 and 3 player games.

-Jukka
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jukius wrote:
It is mentioned in the rules that this is hidden information

I've understood that part of the rules as "you cannot count the separate kinds of tiles left in the stack" - i.e. check how many red fuels are left, and just attributed the rest to awkward phrasing

you can generally clearly see how many tiles are left anyway, so that information should be open - more so since it is impractical to hide (you can clearly see how many tiles are in play and in hand, and (in a physical version) how many have been discarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jukius wrote:
This rule was written basically to prevent the players from fiddling with the stack and calculating the tiles during the game. The idea was to give the players a good estimate of how long the game lasts but not the actual figure.

I'm not sure I see the point of that. Can you elaborate? I play many games where we all know when the end game is going to trigger. For example, I played Kingdom Builder yesterday and when someone knew they only had enough settlements to last one more turn they'd announce it so we all knew how many turns we had left. When we play Fzzzt! we count how many cards are left to see if we have enough for the following round. I don't see how that negatively impacts gameplay. On the other hand, being caught by surprise by an endgame trigger is unpleasant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LudiCreations
Finland
Turku, Finland / Boston, MA, USA
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
kc2dpt wrote:
jukius wrote:

I'm not sure I see the point of that. Can you elaborate? I play many games where we all know when the end game is going to trigger. For example, I played Kingdom Builder yesterday and when someone knew they only had enough settlements to last one more turn they'd announce it so we all knew how many turns we had left. When we play Fzzzt! we count how many cards are left to see if we have enough for the following round. I don't see how that negatively impacts gameplay. On the other hand, being caught by surprise by an endgame trigger is unpleasant.

You can still do that with Gear & Piston (announcing that you are about to end the game, counting the cards, etc.), but this is exactly what we wanted to avoid. We prefer it if the game "flows", and people are so immersed in the experience that they don't take the time to min-max their gameplay.

Thus, the rules forbid the counting of tiles. If you buy the game, you are free to not follow that, and houserule it at will. We promise we won't be hurt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.