Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick
United States
Gallatin
TN
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
File this under "There's a First Time For Everything".

It was Discovery Day, a day to explore and try games people have been interested in but had yet to play. Being the first truly nice day in the area, not a lot of folk attended, but those who did were hardcore gamers who believe the only way to play a game is to win. One is the type who catches on very quickly and does help others gain understanding more quickly.

Fantastiqa was at the top of the list of games to try (mostly, I think, because I bring it up so often when I talk about games I play). So I broke out the game and started explaining the basic rules. One of the two I demo'd for had never played a deck builder, so the basic concept was one I had to focus on at the outset. Once that was accomplished, I switched to strategies....and the game was on.

Apparently having done something right, and with the one player who is a rules savant (previously mentioned) helping remind the non-deck builder on the finer aspects of deck building in general, gameplay quickly picked up, and the usual slowness of a demo session reached more of a standard time with experienced players.

There we were, myself and two other players, building our hands, searching the lands, and visiting statues in order to make our hands more powerful. Uhmmm...did I say we? I meant 'they'. I had no way to visit statues because the other players thought it would be funny to go after me! They did everything they possibly could - play majic carpets, play artifact cards, whatever it took - to keep me from collecting gems. At the beginning, I had gems. Seven of them. I wasn't hording, I merely defeated enemies along the path who harbored gems upon their persons. Just before my turn (when I had gems and was planning on visiting the Gryphon), the Crow appeared. There went my plan. The non-deck builder had chosen the Artifact card which forced me to give him gems (since I had the most), and I was down to two. Within another few rounds, I was down to one. And I never, ever, had the chance to gain any more.

The game went on with everyone but me gaining gems, visiting statures, and upgrading their deck. The non-deck builder ended up winning the game handily, though, with exactly 7 points while the other, hardcore gamer, and I had -1 (thanks to never completing a quest). I always make sure the people I demo to are the winners, so losing was going to happen anyway; I just never thought the other players would be ganging up on me like they did.

We plan to meet again in the next couple of weeks to play again...only this time, I'm not going to be left gemless!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Coddington
United States
Woodbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking Fantastiqa to the cutthroat level
Great story!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
How long do games take once you are at the 'standard gamer level'?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Coddington
United States
Woodbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:

I'd say around an hour from my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Gallatin
TN
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:

Yep. About an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.