Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Intro

This was our first real local tournament, so we were really excited Since local stocks had been limited, we decided to limit the format to pre Cyber Exodus and A Study in Static – that meant I couldn’t use a whole whack of cards I had been used to playing with on OCTGN… Which made preparation more difficult (and gruelling!) - But I had tested my decks on OCTGN, and it was seriously interesting that my decks could actually compete even without the most up-to-date cards. It's quite a testament to FFG's balance in design that was more about variety than power creeping.

Placed first, scored Alt Art Melange and Crypsis (YESS), decklist at the end if you're into that

Key moments/epic lessons I (felt that I) learnt are marked with

Corp deck choice

I based my choice of deck on what I had been playing on OCTGN – On the corp side that was a fun 45 card tag n bag rush with Green Level Clearance, Anonymous Tip, and other crazy speediness. Making the transition to the pre-ASIS and pre-CE format meant I lost Green Level, Chimera, Government Contract and False Lead… Which were quite a bit. So I replaced them with stuff that were somewhat similar, and test, then realised that that didn’t quite work. So I went back to the more traditional Weyland, but still 100% balls to the wall Tag n Bag, but bumped it up to 49 because I didn’t feel safe with 45.

In my testing I discovered that a Weyland rush was superbly weak against criminals, and part of that was due to my inclination to RUSH, though it's also just a deck archtype thing. I rush to get stuff out first – whether it’s my 3 pointer, my Atlas with counter/s, or whatever. I felt I needed to score those first before criminal resource built up. After repeat testing I realised as long as I cost Gabe a ton to run, to invalidate the usefulness of Account Siphon, I was in a better place than if I had an agenda scored, but HQ free to Account Siphon. Massive lesson, and completely cured me of my rushaphiliac corp behaviour.

This was very important lesson to me, understanding the different interactions between different deck strategies, and when you can enforce your strategy VS when you must adapt to the other strategy.

Runner deck choice

As for my runner deck, I wanted to try Anarch, well, mostly it's because I didn’t wanna play Gabe or Shaper. Then I realised that I was only missing Personal Workshop from the new stuff, and didn’t wanna play Wyldside, so I put together this deck… It’s really a hardworking deck that is pretty much focused on parasiting everything, milling and tricking through stuff to keep the corp poor. If the corp is able to mount a defence, hopefully I can mill enough to win. But milling is always the by-product and never the point.

The meta

Corp:
3 Weyland
2 Jinteki
1 HB
Runner:
3 Anarch
2 Criminal
1 Shaper

Interestingly, I remember Crminal/Weyland dominating the BGG tourney, and locally Anarchs seem to have rubbed off the shine from the recent Workshop Noise hype, despite Workshop not being allowed. Unfortunately no NBN, but I truly believe that NBN just doesn’t work without the CE/ASIS Assets and Popup

Round 1 vs Nelson

Nelson was a new player so we chatted a fair bit during the game to talk about best practices and stuff to watch out for. He is a seasoned Magic player, though.

Weyland vs anarch

My opening draw had just one ICE, but I did have hedge fund, scorched and sea source. So I thought, why not, and iced R&D with my Enigma. He drops an Imp first turn, milled another ICE... And proceeded to not run my HQ at all. Meanwhile, I was pissing myself that his Imp will do a number on my combo, so I anonymous tipped & drew.... Got to 9 cards... And still didn't get ICE.

After discards, I just kept getting money, still no ICE. Eventually after so many discards my opponent runs archive, gets 1 point (posted bounty), and proceeds to get sea sourced, and double Scorch Earths.

We had a great chat after about the power of imp, and how he should be running an open HQ, and if he had put the Imp to use it may have destroyed my combo. But there was no way of knowing, really.

Result: Weyland (Flatline) Anarch (0)

Anarch vs Weyland

Innocuously, the game started with me running as hard as I can on R&D, with a parasite in tow. The very intimidating Weyland economy throws saw 3 Beanstalks and 2 Hedge Funds, and was sitting at about 12 creds very soon, but fortunately without many ICE. I keep hitting R&D without a medium, unfortunately. Soon, he drops an ICE, an asset, and advances it. Soooo I run it. Wall of Static. So I Inside job it, into a… Junebug! It wasn't extremely painful, but it does show that experience isn’t what will dodge a trap. I dropped my guard and it bit me in the butt.

The rest of the game was a loose exchange of tempo as I dip into the R&D with medium, kill things with Crypsis, and a final double deep server inside jobbed got me a final 3 pointer.

Then we checked the archives and... 8 cards milled, no points. Like I said, I don’t rely on mills there. It’s just not reliable.

Result: Anarch(7) Weyland (0)

Round 2 vs Nuno

Nuno was the organiser of our group, despite having a family, is moving and will soon have two kids. Top respect to him for keeping everything in check and still being a great player! He is also doggedly in love with Jinteki (as am I, but I really need Chimera, Edge of World, False Lead, Private Contract, Popup, Marked Account… All these, to make my Jinteki sing), and a really competent Crime boss, so this was a familiar but dangerous matchup.

Anarch vs Jinteki

Against Jinteki PE, I couldn't afford to facecheck everything recklessly, especially since this isn't a Wyldside madness deck. Nuno quickly Iced up R&D, so I went digging for money, Crypsis, or Djinn. In the meantime, he just built money with Hedge Fund and a Pad Campaign behind a Wall of Static. I manage to find a Crypsis and a Djinn, and take out the Pad quickly at a loss, breaking an ICE wall. He had 15 credits at one stage, I was worried on one run I might have ran into a Janus (turned out to be an Enigma I think).

He does manage to score a Private Security Force behind some Ice while I was busy refilling on cash. He had a non-advanced card behind two ICE when his R&D ICE died to a parasite, which he thought hard about. He scored it – it was a Braintrust. 4 to 4, even points. I dropped a Medium, and ran 3 times. Six cards later (Trashed a Red Herring en route), no points. He Ices up R&D with an Ice Wall I saw from R&D. I draw up to 3, and I run it with Crypsis to break. I do hit an agenda, down to 2 cards in hand, 2 more accesses, and I totally forgot that I needed one more to survive a Snare. The last card of the seven access was a Nisei for the win, as opposed to a Snare for a Flatline. Thank goodness Lesson? Against Jinteki, draw more cards if you wanna go digging!

Post game analysis revealed 2 snares and a Fetal AI in his completely undefended HQ. It was a good thing I never took the bait. No points in his 8 face-down Archive with 2 ICE on it. Lesson? If it looks too good to be true, it probably is. Stick to your game plan!

Result: Anarch(8) Jinteki (4)

Weyland vs Criminal

A criminal matchup, the matchup I’ve been training for! So as planned, I resist the urge to go on the offensive and rush. A standard opening Icing up centrals and taking credit, then he gets through my R&D Caduceus after I didn’t bother to up my ETR trace, and pulls an Executive Retreat. Sniping sucks!

Then the game pretty much gets into more and more ice on centrals while he builds up more and more icebreakers and money to run them, while I try to build a remote too. The one turn I held an agenda, he gets through HQ and again snipes it when I was going to get it out next turn. BAH!

I eventually draw a San San, pops it behind a 3-deep fort, and he doesn’t run it. He could have gotten through. That set the tone for me as I scored a 1 token Atlas during his one low turn.

Then the rest of the game was a fairly standard exchange of Femme Fatale on a Wall of Static on HQ (I killed a Corroder and Ninja earlier with an Archer, sacking a Hostile Takeover), and me Icing it with two more Shadows. I wasn’t pulling agendas and I had my San San in a remote so I let my money do the talking and didn’t draw cards unnecessarily. I had enough money to absorb an Account Siphon, and despite 2 bad publicities he only ended up with 8 creds after a Siphon.

Oh yes, he had 2 Crash Spaces out. That was an irritating presence, and was happily removing tags from my double shadowed HQ. Eventually I did manage to SEA Source once and double kill those after an HQ run. I was looking for an Agenda to toss into He Forged Activation Ordered my one Hadrian on my Archive, and I let it die despite enough money – I needed the money more than denying Sneakdoor.

So I dropped an Archer on archives. By this time I had dumped many cards into it, think it was about 7. He runs it straight, I rez the Archer, killing an Atlas. He had just enough with Crypsis to break 2 subroutines, so he broke 1 program kill, and one ETR. He was on 6 points and probably thought it was obvious that I wouldn’t sack an Atlas for just anything. He gives up all his money, runs through Archer, run successful, no points!

Since he was broke after the archive run in the the Archer, I SEA Source, Scorch, Scorch Epic long game, there were truly moments of greatness on both sides. It was a good thing I trained anti-Criminal tactics earlier

Result: Weyland (flatline) Criminal (3)

Round 3 vs Sias

Sias is probably the most experienced gamer among us, although he’s had the least time with Netrunner among us regulars. Though that meant nothing as he’s been really bulldoggedly strong with his build and playing, so I went into this match with much anxiety, jitters and all 

Weyland vs Shaper

I opted to play Weyland first since I wanted to go fast, but boy was I wrong about that. I started with an Ice Wall on HQ and an Enigma on R&D, The Enigma was ran on and rezzed. He produces a handy Keymaster and I added a Wall of Static to my R&D. The game lulls as he builds breakers and money and I build a remote. Pretty soon, he had a Zu and Ninja, and I had two unrezzed Ice – an Enigma fronted by Ice Wall, so I decided to play my odds… Since the later it gets the worse it would be for me. I drop my Executive Retreat and double advance. He Infiltrates it! Then he thinks a while, and drops double Tinkering and runs, grabbing 3 points to join his 1 he took earlier from R&D. What were the odds! Double Tinker! I played the odds and lost. I didn’t rez any ice as he only had to spend 3 to get through both anyway.

He was pretty linked up, and I proceed to make 2 mistakes – I capped off my Enigma and Ice wall with another Caduceus (doh!), and also rezzed a Caduceus (double doh!) during a life-and-death Maker’s Eye run (Oh yeah he had two Mediums out, too). All told that’s 6 creds I threw into the wind. Kids, don’t install or rez Caduceuses if your opponent is Kate with a set of Rabbit Holes!

That Maker’s + 2 cards (2 counters each on two Mediums) = 5 cards, he did get an Atals. A nice average ratio, all considered. I wipe virus and he builds money. Some Ice were replaced, and I was so low on money, I dropped a Tollbooth on a new remote. Later, I topped it off with a Wall of Static just to look more impressive. HQ was only an Ice Wall which his Snowball could devour, but I never buffed it, so he never thought to run it. I dropped a San San into a remote (the 3 tall one with 3 tiny ass ICE) and got no run.

Another successful Maker’s Eye didn’t get him anything, thank goodness. I installed and slow-rolled a Posted Bounty, which he infiltrated. He didn’t bother running it. I score it…. I don’t tag him because he had two Plascretes, and a whole pile of stuff (which he was handily pawning off). Zu is a really awesome little trick with Kate + Aesops.
Eventually, I run out of steam, ICE and money, and he hits an agenda running the R&D with a Maker’s Eye. An epic game with epic moments and credits going low on both sides. I wasted a few creds and it may have cost me in a tight, tight game.

Result: Weyland (4) Shaper (7)

Anarch vs Weyland

This match was a bit of a beast, though I got lucky off the bat – I ran his HQ a couple times and he didn’t rez his ICE, so I kept going. A Data Raven went up on R&D though, which I Parasited. After a few more accesses on HQ, he did something awesome for me – rezzed Hadrian’s Wall. That was, to me, probably the best case scenario. The corp dumping 10 creds on an HQ ETR is the best thing that this deck could hope for.

I drew up into more money and viruses, and kept pressure on R&D. He layed out a few Ice, and I kept moneying up after another Raven goes up on R&D.

There was a server with 2 ICE on it, and I I infiltrated a 1-advanced card, saw a Private Security Force, so I dropped a Crypsis, didn't have time to charge it up, and Inside Jobbed it. He rezzes a Chum, and an Ice Wall – and I dumped Crypsis to get to it.

The above is an example of the kind of awesomeness you can do with very little if you keep the corp poor too! He did manage to score one Atals the one turn I decided not to chase after a face-down card behind one ICE, but because of that I was able to dig 9 cards into his R&D with two Mediums out in a turn. Unfortunately, I hit nothing! That was a seriously wtf moment. I was on 4 points, and no points from 9 accesses! Ah well. He ICES R&D, and I was pretty much out of money and out of tricks, so I left R&D alone, and ran Archives, which by this time had at least 9 cards face down, for a hail Mary.

Mary didn’t answer. Also nothing in Archives! So that’s about 18 cards with no points in them. The only saving grace was that I was 4-2 up so far, so I just drew up and tried to assemble some kind of offensive again. R&D Ice smugly stared down my Mediums as Weyland called in the Norton boys.

Sias drops a 3rd ICE on top of Chum and Ice Wall, and next turn installed and double advanced a card. ALARM BELLS. So I spent the last of my money on a Crypsis out of hand, clicked for creds twice, and played Inside Job. Including my Cyberfeeder credit, I know I had exactly enough to get through. Down to the last credit. He rezzes a Wall of Static, and I lose my Crypsis to break the Wall, and I get in – Priority Requisition.

He had planned to rez the R&D Ice with Priority, I think it was another Hadrian, Tollbooth, Archer or something. And thank goodness I could make that last run. A look through his R&D revealed 5 agendas at the bottom, and he didn’t have any in hand. That first Hadrians was the 10 creds that probably could have won him the game elsewhere.

Result: Anarch (7) Weyland (2)

In Closing

We then had a tie breaker between Nuno and Sias for Silver and Bronze, and those were epic matches too, but no I don't remember much about them

We had a great time, and the prizes were neat. Alternate art Melange and Crypsis are great - now I need to get opaque sleeves We split the prizes up so that everyone got a piece, (first 3 got better stuff, box, Crypsis, Melanges and tokens) with a Melange going to everyone.

We also made the decision not to time limit games because we didn't have a million players, which made it much more enjoyable.

Thanks to everyone for being part of the tourney, looking forward to the next Games Night, and then our Regionals in June!

Corp Deck

Identity: Weyland Consortium: Building a Better World (Core)

Agenda (11)
3x Executive Retreat (Trace Amount #39)
3x Hostile Takeover (Core #94)
2x Posted Bounty (Core #95)
3x Project Atlas (What Lies Ahead #18)

Asset (2)
3x Melange Mining Corp (Core #108)

ICE (17)
3x Archer (Core #101)
3x Caduceus (What Lies Ahead #19)
3x Enigma (Core #111)
3x Ice Wall (Core #103)
3x Shadow (Core #104)
1x Tollbooth (Core #90) ■■
3x Wall of Static (Core #113)
1x Hadrian's Wall (Core #102)

Operation (19)
1x Anonymous Tip (Core #83) ■
3x Beanstalk Royalties (Core #98)
3x Hedge Fund (Core #110)
3x Scorched Earth (Core #99)
3x SEA Source (Core #86) ■■

Upgrade (2)
2x SanSan City Grid (Core #92) ■■■

Total Cards: (49)

Runner Deck

Identity: Noise: Hacker Extraordinaire (Core)

Event (17)
3x Deja Vu (Core #2)
2x Easy Mark (Core #19) ■
3x Infiltration (Core #49)
3x Inside Job (Core #21) ■■■
3x Stimhack (Core #4)
3x Sure Gamble (Core #50)

Hardware (3)
3x Cyberfeeder (Core #5)

Program (18)
2x Corroder (Core #7)
2x Crypsis (Core #51)
2x Datasucker (Core #8)
3x Imp (What Lies Ahead #3)
3x Medium (Core #10)
3x Parasite (Core #12)
3x Djinn (Core #9)

Resource (8)
3x Armitage Codebusting (Core #53)
2x Aesop's Pawnshop (Core #47) ■■
3x Liberated Account (Trace Amount #22)

Total Cards: (46)

Edit: Wrong corp decklist XD and various details
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Short
United Kingdom
Grimsby
N.E.Lincs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [report] Our local Game Night Kit tourney (sans ASIS & CE!)
That was a good read nice reporting, it is also cool to see someone admitting thier mistakes (even when they didn't pay for them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Strange Dude wrote:
That was a good read nice reporting, it is also cool to see someone admitting thier mistakes (even when they didn't pay for them).

Thanks

To me, most of the best things from playing in more pressured environments are the things you can learn from encounters with people you haven't played before or situations you haven't been in before.

So the most valuable outcome are these moments, and analysis of how it should/could have been played. Even better if I could see the situation from the other side

We did record a few games but they're not ready yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Afonso
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's an awesome report but your Corp Deck as got some CE and ASIS cards in it in an event that wasn't supposed to have them. Maybe I will have to make deck lists mandatory in the future whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Griffonstone wrote:
That's an awesome report but your Corp Deck as got some CE and ASIS cards in it in an event that wasn't supposed to have them. Maybe I will have make deck lists will be mandatory in the future whistle

OOOPS! That deck list is wrong If anyone saw Green Level or Chimera during play I'll seppuku (even if I'm not Jinteki )

Lemme go update that to reflect the real deck...

And yeah, decklists mandatory is a good idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
17 ICE. Bare bones my man. Congrats on the win.

Weylands Scorched Earth still strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.