Popular Tags: [View All]
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you were interested in the game and did not know, it's on Kickstarter and it has 10 days left.

I didn't even know this was on KS until I saw a mention on a Geeklist.

If you aren't familiar with the whole KS thing, you aren't charged if it doesn't pass the listed goal, so you aren't giving them money and hoping to get something.

It's my first (and only) KS project. I don't back companies without a track record. I'm cool with MMP and been happy with the quality of their work that I have seen.

I've had my eye on this game for a long time. I was waiting for others to do the P500 work, so I could grab it at NWS, but I fear this might be the last chance to actually get this. So if you are like me, and would like to have it on your table, you might want to think about it.

Here's the link. Click the videos if you want to learn about the game: how it plays, what it looks like, and such.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1573479789/lincolns-war-...

EDIT: Additional note - if you backed it on P500, it has been removed from their computer in favor of the KS campaign (see link in thread)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Is MMP only selling this to backers or are they going to release it at some point in the future?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Buman
United States
Harlan
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
medlinke wrote:
Is MMP only selling this to backers or are they going to release it at some point in the future?

If it doesn't make it's Kickstarter goal it's not available period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It looks great, and I really hope it makes it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
I am torn. I cancelled it awhile ago, but this is tempting (on P500). I love CDGs, and from what I have heard this is a good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wells
United States
Centralia
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to chime in here and say, like Judd, this is my first (and probably only) Kickstarter foray. I've been involved as a playtester, and have really enjoyed this game. I'd really like to see it come to fruition, as it's a cool game, and the art they're showing on the KS page looks awesome. Plus, I want to be able to brag to friends and coworkers when I show them my name in the playbook!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you backed it on P500, that has been removed.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1573479789/lincolns-war-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cscottk wrote:
I am torn. I cancelled it awhile ago, but this is tempting (on P500). I love CDGs, and from what I have heard this is a good one.

There is an ongoing AAR that is very interesting. It sold me on the game. Be sure to start with the first part of the AAR, they are on part 3 now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somebody just needs to pledge the $5k..... whistle

I must admit, I don't know why this is not easily crushing the goal.
-ACW is popular
-Games on the entire war are not that plentiful (as compared to the barrage of strat level WWII games in/out of the pipeline (TK2, Strum Europa, Supreme Commander, Unconditional Surrender, etc.,etc.))
-the game looks gorgeous
-it appears to have a unique take on the conflict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Maple Ridge
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn't this thread be in the "Sales" folder of the wargaming subdomain?

Or we could call it "The PX".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wells
United States
Centralia
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
Shouldn't this thread be in the "Sales" folder of the wargaming subdomain?

Or we could call it "The PX".

Or, keeping with the times, "The Regimental Sutler..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
Somebody just needs to pledge the $5k..... whistle

I must admit, I don't know why this in not easily crushing the goal.
-ACW is popular
-Games on the entire war are not that plentiful (as compared to the barrage of strat level WWII games in/out of the pipeline (TK2, Strum Europa, Supreme Commander, Unconditional Surrender, etc.,etc.))
-the game looks gorgeous
-it appears to have a unique take on the conflict.

I'm surprised it hasn't reached its funding a little quicker, too, especially since MMP has advertised it pretty well - there are banners here and on CSW (possibly other gaming sites, but those are the two sites on which I've seen banners) and MMP sent out at least one reminder e-mail. Plus, John Poniske, has been making pretty much daily updates on the KS site and CSW.

Hopefully it'll get a nice surge over the finish line in the closing days as people get off the fence.

ACW games have been struggling of late, though - GMT's two newest ACW titles, Iron and Oak and Rebel Raiders on the High Seas barely cleared 600 on the P500 list (and that was only after they started charging) making it surprising that they got printed at all.

Sadly, despite the high prices commanded by series titles like The Three Days of Gettysburg (third edition) and the Gamers' CWB games, it's unlikely we'll see reprints of these, as the demand is maybe big enough for 500 copies, but that would leave publishers with fire sale stock left over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ctb123 wrote:
medlinke wrote:

I definitely understand the funding model. My question is whether or not MMP will sell it to anyone who didn't KS IF it IS funded. Essentially, I don't want to support KS as some kind of perverse new PXXX system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
medlinke wrote:
ctb123 wrote:
medlinke wrote:

I definitely understand the funding model. My question is whether or not MMP will sell it to anyone who didn't KS IF it IS funded. Essentially, I don't want to support KS as some kind of perverse new PXXX system.

Worthington Games is selling the KS Hearts and Minds: Vietnam 1965-1975 reprint to the public through their website, so I suspect that LW will also be available through retail channels or direct through MMP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Neff
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks interesting, but I'm trying to restrict my collection to one game per subject, and I think I'd still rather get For the People when it reprints to fill the "ACW strategic game" niche. Might toss in a few bucks just to contribute if it hasn't hit the threshold on the last day, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dillon
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have emailed the person running the Kickstarter campaign asking about availability after Kickstarter. His response was, "if the game gets funded the game will be available for purchase through other channels such as OLGS and FLGS." I hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dndspeyside wrote:
I have emailed the person running the Kickstarter campaign asking about availability after Kickstarter. His response was, "if the game gets funded the game will be available for purchase through other channels such as OLGS and FLGS." I hope this helps.

Helps answer the question but doesn't help it get funded..... arrrh

I am torn about KS. But this game has languished on MMPs P500 site for a long time; KS might be the last hope....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
dndspeyside wrote:

I am torn about KS. But this game has languished on MMPs P500 site for a long time; KS might be the last hope....

There are many valid concerns about Kickstarter, and being highly selective about what KS things to back is smart. (This is only my SECOND KS order...)

But this is a game by a well-regarded designer with many earlier successful titles to his name, and a commitment to publish it (assuming the KS campaign hits its target) by a well-regarded company with many earlier successful and high-quality wargames to their name.

Assuming the game itself interests you, I'd order because this is about as risk-free a KS bet as you can make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
TedW wrote:
dndspeyside wrote:

There are many valid concerns about Kickstarter, and being highly selective about what KS things to back is smart. (This is only my SECOND KS order...)

But this is a game by a well-regarded designer with many earlier successful titles to his name, and a commitment to publish it (assuming the KS campaign hits its target) by a well-regarded company with many earlier successful and high-quality wargames to their name.

Assuming the game itself interests you, I'd order because this is about as risk-free a KS bet as you can make.

Indeed - the production work on this game is basically finished. The KS just needs to provide the funds to pay for final artwork, then printing, then shipping. There would have to be a major snafu in the printing process to cause a serious delay. I might expect that from some first-timers, but not from MMP, who already have printers they deal with on a regular basis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boyd
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
I Play With Toy Soldiers.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
dndspeyside wrote:

Seems MMP tried P500 and that failed. If Kickstarter fails then the game isn't printed by MMP and may not be printed at all. The bottom line is pledge it NOW please if you want a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
TedW wrote:
dndspeyside wrote:

I have never backed anything on Kickstarter because I have a lot of concerns/problems about it. We've seen a number of game projects turn into the Kickstarter version of the Amityville Horror.

Lincoln's War is different however. First it's designed by John Poniske who has already been published by both GMT and MMP. Second the game is being published by MMP who as we all know has an established track record. So this isn't like a lot of these kickstarter projects where a couple of people with no business or game development experience are producing a boardgame out of their living room. It's an established publisher and an established designer.

Thus even though kickstarter is something that I have a LOT of reservations with and have never backed anything on it before I actually will be backing this game myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hall
China
Guangzhou
Guangdong
flag msg tools
mbmb
Backed it a few days back. Really hope it makes the goal, it looks incredible and could fill a much needed spot in the ACW genre. When I backed it, I was even hopeful we could get the stretch goal to get the mounted map... Now I'm just praying it makes it's initial goal. I have full confidence backing this game. Designer and MMP have great reputation and they will certainly deliver!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Miner
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I;am in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This the second game I've backed on Kickstarter. No, the fourth! (Empires of the Void, Ogre, Up Front and Lincoln's War).

Lincoln's War is going to be close! It needs to pull in a little less than $1000 a day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boyd
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
I Play With Toy Soldiers.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
out to lunch wrote:
Do we know what the final map will look like? There's only a picture of the playtest map on the game page (really ugly, like most playtest maps).

There is a post on the Kickstarter page from 6 days ago that says they have a "fairly far along map" that they will post soon. Mark Mahaffey I believe is doing the map so I believe it will be a good one, but it would be nice to actually see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.