Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiffany Stolk

Michigan
msg tools
This card has the power: Destroy this
card. Why would I want to destroy
it? Also, are the increase all fire
damage ongoing until I destroy the card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There aren't really that many times you will want to destroy it. The main reason would be is if the villain is heavy in the fire damage department and Ra doesn't have Flesh of the Sun God out, thus causing the heroes a lot of pain since it is boosted. Another being against Voss and if he has his Firesworns out, as you would not be able to kill them since they are immune to fire.

No, anytime the card would be destroyed it will end the effect, not just when you decide to destroy it. The moment that card leaves play heroes will be doing their normal types and fire is no longer increased by 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Imbued Fire wrote:
Increase all fire damage by 1.

Change the damage type of damage dealt by hero targets to fire.

Power: Destroy this card.

"Blessings of the sun are curses for those who oppose you." -Ra, Baptism by fire #5

The problem is that sometimes the villain targets maybe immune to fire damage. Additionally if Absolute Zero is in play this can stop them from functioning properly. The short of it is that you don't always want all damage dealt by hero targets to become fire and without that power it would be much more difficult to destroy the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiffany Stolk

Michigan
msg tools
Thanks so much. We are in a game and the quick response was great. One more question. For this card, when it increases all fire damage by one,does it do that for every hero since all damage dealt by them in now fire damage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos "Koey"
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another would be Baron Blade's Fire Reflect card, you sometimes might not want that if other characters have ongoings that hit all targets automatically.

Also it messes up other people's setup like Wraith's Targeting System card that gives +2 to Projectiles. Changing it to fire would lower her total damage output.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
tiffanystolk wrote:
Thanks so much. We are in a game and the quick response was great. One more question. For this card, when it increases all fire damage by one,does it do that for every hero since all damage dealt by them in now fire damage?

Yes it does. Not just for heroes either, it increases ALL fire damage by 1 even if that damage is being dealt by a non-hero. Of course the source would need to be doing fire damage and Imbued Fire doesn't help make that happen for non-heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolute Zero loses a lot of his potency if his damage type is changed to Fire.

Oxygen Leak in the Mars Base environment inflicts a -3 penalty on all Fire damage.

Omnitron can become immune to the last type of damage he's taken.

Some enemies are just immune to fire from the start.

Some enemies make heroes hurt themselves, so buffing hero damage becomes a liability.

There are many reasons why one might want to be able to destroy Imbue Fire.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cockburn
United Kingdom
Sleaford
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JonBen wrote:
tiffanystolk wrote:

Yes it does. Not just for heroes either, it increases ALL fire damage by 1 even if that damage is being dealt by a non-hero. Of course the source would need to be doing fire damage and Imbued Fire doesn't help make that happen for non-heroes.

Does the order of effects make a difference? First increase fire damage by 1, then change damage by heroes to fire damage. Wouldn't that mean that (for example) 2 melee damage simply becomes 2 fire damage? Or because these are ongoing effects can you argue that the order doesn't matter so you can change it to fire damage first then boost it? But then again if there was another ongoing card which changed all damage to something else, the order these card effects takes place would matter. My brain is starting to overheat. I think I'll go and stick my head in a bucket of ice before I suffer X fire damage where X is the amount of time I keep wittering on instead of coming to a full stop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
As ruled by the designers, damage type changes happen first. Buffs only occur when the damage is actually dealt, which is after the damage type has been changed.

If multiple cards change damage type they will take effect in order they came out - so essentially whichever one comes out last will ultimately be the type of damage dealt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Arenson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
As ruled by the designers, damage type changes happen first. Buffs only occur when the damage is actually dealt, which is after the damage type has been changed.

If multiple cards change damage type they will take effect in order they came out - so essentially whichever one comes out last will ultimately be the type of damage dealt.

The way I think about this is that when damage type changes, the other modifiers all need to be reconsidered to see whether or not they should have applied, so it's easier to consider the type changes first before moving on to other things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.