Popular Tags: [View All]
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In 1796 campaign:

I had an enormous army in Savona. I held Nice and Turin and there was a tiny Austrian army in Genoa. It rolled a "French Held Objective" and the closest one with the least combat rating was Nice. This army could only go through my army in Savona where it was enveloped and destroyed.

Did I play this correctly?

*Note - the map above is a pre-final image and there were a few changes made to the objectives, cities, and such. My question is regarding the final map but the image above displays the territories well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
*BUMP*

I'd also like to add a second question:

Let's say Nice and Turin were equal in their combat ratings. Enemy does "French Held City x2", I get to choose (according to the rules) which one the enemy advances towards. Enemy's in Genoa, I am in Savona, Marango is empty. Can I choose to have the enemy go towards Nice (and thereby be enveloped and destroyed) or would the enemy go towards Turin through Marango because the journey there has less of a combat rating?

Or heck, what if Turin had the smaller combat rating than Nice, can I choose to have the enemy go there through Savona rather than Marango?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Slotten
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you played it correctly. The army moves to Savona and gets enveloped. Hurray! It will get much worse in later scenarios though when a giant stack of enemies moves toward an objective and you have a tiny force in the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for responding!

What about my second post, specifically the last paragraph (2 ways towards the Objective and one of them the army gets enveloped. Can you choose that way)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Slotten
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, the rule is: Move the group 2 (or 3) Areas toward the closest Objective that is Held by the French with the lowest Combat values. If
you do not Hold any Objectives, treat as an Advance x2 (or
x3).

But the enemy has a choice, go around your force or through them. The way I played it was that in situations like this, you choose. I base this on the following rule, page 20: There will be times during the game when you need to make game decisions for the Enemy Forces. The rules provide you with procedures to guide your decision making. If the rules leave you with more than one equally valid option, you are
free to choose from the available options.

Hope that helps but that was my thought process while playing through the scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Leaves it tough. I'd want to play it realistically. I feel that going through me, if the rules allow it, is cool and can be thematically explained as the army blundering into Napoleon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Slotten
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since this game throws in so many die rolls that effect my game, like my superior army suddenly withdrawing from battle because of a die roll, I don't feel bad about forcing the enemy A.I. to do things to my advantage at times

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Dayan
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
skslotten wrote:
like my superior army suddenly withdrawing from battle because of a die roll

Yes! An annoying detail that should be fixed. The withdrawal options should be affected by the total combat power of each side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.