Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Rowe
Canada
High River Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I knew you wanted to mouse over my Avatar :).
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a new player to ASL and was wondering if I needed to buy the Paratrooper module to make use of section K.,in the second edition rulebook? Will the third printing of Beyond Valor have everything to play the training manual portion?
Any info on this will definitly help the pocketbook. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara
msg tools
badge
mb
*Almost* everything you'll need is included in BV. As far as I can tell the only thing you'll lack is Board #24, which of course is found in Paratrooper. Board #24 is used in two or three of the examples in the training manual. Paratrooper is readily available for $15-20 on eBay, etc. Alternatively, visit the VASL website (http://www.vasl.org/) and download the VASSAL module and the graphics for any boards you want to use or look at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Rowe
Canada
High River Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I knew you wanted to mouse over my Avatar :).
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks alot Mo for the information. I think I'll probably wait for the new edition of Beyond Valor to hit the stores, you just get so much more stuff for your money.
Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Franklin-Bihary
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would highly recommend that you pick up Starter Kit #1. I tried to learn the game with the Paratrooper mod., and failed miserably...although it did teach a few of the basic concepts well. However, once you get past movement and some basic firing stuff, ithe walkthrouh starts to make assumptions about what you already know. Vehicles and Guns were VERY confusing in the walkthrough.

I've found that ASLSK#1 was definitely the link that my brain needed to finally "get" this game. Granted, it is a pared-down version of the total game, but I do feel like I finally understand the basics of the game. The scenarios are simple and easy to play, but still offer enough strategy to be VERY replayable. And you really do get your money's worth in the box. I guarantee that you will be playing with this set for months. I've been working through it with a friend for 6 months, and we still aren't through all the scenarios.

I can't wait to 'move up' to ASLSK#2 and start adding the big guns. This step by step approach really seems to be working for me, adding a small layer of new rules during each scenario until eventually I make it to inclusion of all of the rules.

Granted, I already bought Beyond Valor 3rd ed.! I can't actually play the scenarios yet, but I have it, all punched and sorted and ready to go until I get through ASLSK#3. So get that, too, so you have it. And the full rulebook is essential as well. I know that the SKs intentionally don't include all the rules, but there are instances when clarification is needed, and the big book can be accessed easily to find out the answer to most questions.

Hope that helps. Damn, I wrote a lot...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.