Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Two things came up in today's game that I couldn't find any answers for despite searching. Watch me be wrong, but please help anyway:

1) The rulebook says that you can cancel a combat you can't win. Is this an "oops, I want to undo my action and do something else instead", or is it running away and losing the action? If the former, how is the reveal of the enemy's stats handled?

2) Is it necessary to hire units to the available slots from left to right, or can they be hired to any slot? One of the characters has a skill that allows him to hire a unit for much cheaper -- can he use that slot to hire a unit even if he has empty slots to the left of it?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gschmidl wrote:
Two things came up in today's game that I couldn't find any answers for despite searching. Watch me be wrong, but please help anyway:

1) The rulebook says that you can cancel a combat you can't win. Is this an "oops, I want to undo my action and do something else instead", or is it running away and losing the action? If the former, how is the reveal of the enemy's stats handled?

I think the rulebook says something along the lines of, you don't have to kill an enemy to finish the combat. It's kind of a redundant statement and basically means you only fight one round of combat, whether or not you kill the enemy. There's no "cancel combat" option as you suggest.

gschmidl wrote:

2) Is it necessary to hire units to the available slots from left to right, or can they be hired to any slot? One of the characters has a skill that allows him to hire a unit for much cheaper -- can he use that slot to hire a unit even if he has empty slots to the left of it?

Thanks!

You can hire any available unit provided you have a free slot (it can be any slot, including Norowas' skill slot), the necessary influence, and you are in the proper location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Erb
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mb
gschmidl wrote:

I believe you are referring to the part about taking back your move. Afaik you can take back any cards/mana played as long as no new information was revealed. If, for example, you enter a city you had scouted previously, then realise you'll get torn to shreds by defenders, you can take back the assault and do something else. If, however, you face a summoner, and you only realise you can't win after he summons his monster to attack, then you can't go back. So, as soon as you flip a token that was previously face down, you are commited, and you have to finish combat.

gschmidl wrote:

Thanks!

Even if the command tokens come out in a certain order by leveling up, they are not sorted in any way. You can hire to any one of them as long as it is free (or you dismiss the unit currently assigned to it), and you can certainly decide wether to hire a unit under Bonds of Loyalty or not (though there, you cannot dismiss the unit, even if it is wounded - you'd have to get it destroyed by a paralyzing enemy to free the slot).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks, you two, that helps a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.