Joe
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MOVING DAY

Moving day is a two player game of pulling for use with the decktet created by P.D. Magnus, who also designed this quick, charming game. You and your opponent are a pair of roommates in the process of moving out attempting to sort out who owns what. As you are both connoisseurs of geekdom the properties in question are four: Your comic book, anime, action figure and board game collections. Each collection is worth one point save for the board games; they're worth two points. Apparently things were not going well between you and your roommate because whoever makes it out of moving day with the most points from collections gathered is the winner.

THE SETTING:
To play the game you'll need just one basic decktet, though there are some rules for adding the expanded deck. The board is made up of the six aces in a row with a gap between the third and fourth aces. In that gap, you place the four collections, which you'll need to print off yourself. The three aces closest to you are your aces and the three aces closest your opponent belong to them. You'll also need two six-sided dice. The rules were originally developed for two four-sided dice so if you have those you may substitute them. I would recommend this as it is just ever so slightly more simple to play that way, but it makes little difference. Then, you'll deal each player a hand of three cards and you're ready to play.

THE PLAY:
There's three steps to a turn: wheedle the packers, take your chances and draw a card. When you wheedle a packer, you place a card from your hand on any of the six aces on the table. In order for a card to be eligible to play on an ace, it must share a suit with that ace. You may play cards to aces on your side of the collections and to aces on your opponents side of the collections.

When you've finished wheedling a packer (Does it sound strange yet?), you then take your chances you roll the two dice. Based on the outcome you will then move two of the four collections. Each collection has their own rule for how it moves which has to do with the sum of the cards on either side of the collections. So if you are moving the anime, which moves towards the highest sum of odd cards, you will move it one ace closer to whoever has the greater total. Collections move one ace at a time and can be moved all the way to the outside aces.

Then you'll draw a card and play passes to your opponent. Once the draw deck has been depleted and players play the last card from their hands, the game has ended. If you have the greater amount of points from your gathered collections, you win! If my rules summary has been confusing, I apologize and the full rules of the game, which are hardly longer than my summary, can be found at the Decktet Wiki.

THE REVIEW:
All of this goes on for a mere fifteen minutes, and depending on how the cards go, it could be a very tense battle of back-and-forth, or a total walloping and luck certainly has something to do with it, though, it's not so much that it makes the game one of chaos. Careful decision making and knowledge of the way the decktet breaks down will lead to an advantage of sorts. All of this is beside the point, however, which is that Moving Day is a fun, little filler of a game and if you've got two card gamers and a decktet you'll likely get a kick out of this one. The tug of war gameplay works and the game lasts just long enough.

The theme confuses me a bit. Most of the games in the decktet library, especially those created by P.D. Magnus, are set within the world of the Decktet which has its own people, culture, cities and lore. The fact that this one is set in a modern, almost sit-com like world is strange and the inclusion of things like anime, comic books, and action figures might not inspire interest in some. But those things are just names on cards, they could literally be called anything and their current titles don't take away from the gameplay, I just wonder why they found the theme that they did.

Overall, I won't play this game every time I pull out the decktet, but I'll happily revisit it often. Moving Day won't be the reason you buy or print yourself a decktet, but it'll certainly be another reason you stay. I've written this review for the 5 Year Anniversary of the Decktet Review Collection. Check it out to find other great reasons to finally pick up that decktet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review!

jheaney wrote:

The theme confuses me a bit. ... I just wonder why they found the theme that they did.

The game was written for a Game Design Showdown. That specified a theme (moving day) and a mechanical requirement (it had to use dice, I think). Rather than setting out to make a Decktet game and adding the theme, I set out to make a game with the theme of moving and ended up using the Decktet.

Would it be more appealing as a Decktet game if it were reskinned with a fantasy, world-of-the-Decktet theme?

Alternately: Would it work better with the given theme if it were a game for a standard deck of cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pmagnus wrote:

Would it be more appealing as a Decktet game if it were reskinned with a fantasy, world-of-the-Decktet theme?

It would for me, but then I'm a decktet fan. I'm a big fan of when the decktet uses its own lore to bring the player into the world of the art and personalities. For most other gamers, I would think it wouldn't matter that much. It might be a nit pick but then they might have collections of anime, action figures, and comic books and they relate to that. For me, I'd almost prefer something like Time Square where you're trying to move characters around.

If it was a deck of cards, I may not have noticed it but then that's probably because a deck of cards doesn't have as much personality as the decktet. The decktet has so many flavors that I end up wanting the games to incorporate them if at all possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll mull it over. If I can come up with a good hook, I may retheme Moving Day. Then I can introduce the new theme and name, changing where this gets listed in the BGG database.

As a bonus, a different name might mean that the game would appear in fewer irrelevant Geeklists. The current name makes it the go-to game for listing when talking about moving your game collection.

jheaney wrote:
Moving Day won't be the reason you buy or print yourself a decktet...

For what it's worth, I moused over 'reason' expecting it to be a link to Magnate. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg J
Canada
Richmond Hill
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pmagnus wrote:
For what it's worth, I moused over 'reason' expecting it to be a link to Magnate. laugh

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pmagnus wrote:
I'll mull it over. If I can come up with a good hook, I may retheme Moving Day. Then I can introduce the new theme and name, changing where this gets listed in the BGG database.

As a bonus, a different name might mean that the game would appear in fewer irrelevant Geeklists. The current name makes it the go-to game for listing when talking about moving your game collection.

jheaney wrote:
Moving Day won't be the reason you buy or print yourself a decktet...

For what it's worth, I moused over 'reason' expecting it to be a link to Magnate. :laugh:

As far as a retheme goes hunting immediately springs to mind. Since it is the Decktet world hunting is quite different than what you expect. Rather than going out with guns blazing, hunting as a sport takes place between two competitors who must attempt to lure the game to them. Different game is attracted to different things though so you must be clever, and also lucky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.