World of Warcraft: The Boardgame» Forums » Rules

Subject: Mage and threat reduction. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dmitry Volevodz
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We were playing yesterday and my friend came up with some combo that felt overpowered for me and I felt that it was against the rules.
He was using the skill that reduces threat of an enemy by 1 (Cone of Cold) and some talents that allow you to use same power twice.
One is presence of the mind and another is arcane power.
Each says - you can use some instant power twice, and one of them requires to unequip such power.
So he uses it twice, then uses it third time and then unequips it. But this sounds like far too much, I think that if it says "You can use same power twice" and you have already used some power twice, you can't use it third time, since it is clear to say "twice".
Also, he used amplify magic, that reduces the cost of some power by X (x - amount of energy paid), so he did that for cone of cold, and used it three times for zero energy (paid some extra for third time with arcane power).
Is this correct? Or did he break some rules somewhere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the game in front of me, but Amplify Magic is only for other friendly characters, isnt' it? The mage shouldn't be able to use it himself.

Other than that, I think I'd rule that using a power three times is legitimate, even though there's ambiguity in the use of the word "twice." My rationale is twofold: 1) There's some truly vicious combos out there for almost every class, and 2) Every one of those spots that he's using an ability comes at the cost of some other ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.