Hide
6 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: My OCTGN Tournament 2 Second Place Decks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Orange Devil
msg tools
Another tournament, another second place. Let's look at my deck lists again, starting with the corp side this time, shall we? Keep in mind that only the first 2 datapacks were legal for this tournament.

Identity:
Weyland Consortium: Building a Better World (Core)

Total Cards: (49)

Agenda: (10)
Hostile Takeover (Core) x3
Project Atlas (What Lies Ahead) x3
Private Security Force (Core) x1
Priority Requisition (Core) x3

Asset: (3)
Melange Mining Corp (Core) x3

ICE: (24)
Archer (Core) x3
Hadrian's Wall (Core) x2
Ice Wall (Core) x3
Shadow (Core) x3
Caduceus (What Lies Ahead) x3
Rototurret (Core) x2 ■
Tollbooth (Core) x2 ■■
Wall of Static (Core) x3
Enigma (Core) x3

Operation: (9)
Beanstalk Royalties (Core) x3
Power Grid Overload (Trace Amount) x1
Archived Memories (Core) x2 ■■
Hedge Fund (Core) x3

Upgrade: (3)
Corporate Troubleshooter (Core) x2 ■
SanSan City Grid (Core) x1 ■■■

Total Agenda Points: 20

Influence Values Totals -
Haas-Bioroid: 8
Jinteki: 0
NBN: 7
The Weyland Consortium: 28

So first things first, props for this deck go to Hollis, who made it. For this tourney I didn't get to play too much with the new datapacks and felt like I didn't know enough about the new cards to make great decks. I also saw a lot of people posting about how Weyland was overpowered, so I figured I'd play Weyland and Criminals and see what I could do with it. I thus went to two players that I knew were good and made good decks, and ended up copying their decks. Hollis ended up running a different deck in this tourney, which I'm sure he'll post, but this deck with 1 small change was his original plan. The change I made was changing 3x Hadrians and 2x Wall of Static to 2x Hadrians and 3x Wall of Static. The idea is, Hadrian's isn't very good, you never want 3 of them and you can almost always use more early game ice.

The idea of the deck is to build up a single solid remote with good ice on the centrals, get a money advantage and then use that advantage to lock the game down with corporate troubleshooters and Archer/Rototurret. Additionally, Rototurret can catch a runner unaware early on, as it is not a common splash in Weyland, and really set the runner back. Furthermore, if you can get Sansan in the mix, it works incredibly well with Atlas, which you always want to try to get one with 2 counters scored as fast as you can safely do. This plan is good, but the execution could, in my view, be better. Specifically, Ash does everything Corporate Troubleshooter does in terms of letting me use my economy to lock out the game, but it does so much more efficiently. Dropping the Rototurrets and the Corporate Troubleshooters for 2x Ash is probably better. I feel like Ash was the all-star of the 2nd tournament, even though only 1 player in the top 4 used him.

The idea behind not running Scorched is that when the opponent only sees your deck once, like in a tournament, the threat of Scorched tends to be just as good as actually having Scorched. Especially during the Swiss rounds this held true. Furthermore, not having Scorched allows you more room for other cards, thus increasing the overall efficiency and reliability of the deck. Had I gone with Ash instead and thus had 2 card slots open, I would seriously consider adding in 2 Scorched, but it's by no means certain.

I certainly got into situation where I really wish I had Scorched, but it's impossible to tell if that means Scorched should've definitely been in this deck, since it'd affect all my other draws as well, and thus completely change the gamestate. What I can say, however, is that the single Private Security Force won me 2 games, both vs Malefact. I actually played him twice in this tournament, which really wrecks my "Scorched is still scary because they don't know it's not there" plan, as does playing Hollis, who, after all, designed the deck. Even so, I managed to win both those matches, and even the game against Malefact, which speaks to the strength of the rest of the deck. Private Security Force was so useful, in fact, that I am seriously unsure if it would not be better to cut 1 Priority Requisition and 1 Hostile Takeover to add in 2 more PSF. However, the semi-finals and the finals put such a heavy emphasis on Hostile Takeover that I'm simply not sure anymore now.

A perhaps hidden weakness of this deck is the low amount of assets+upgrades. This means it is very difficult to make the runner perform repeat runs on your remote, and thus get maximum efficiency out of the ice installed there. This means you need to be prepared to put big ice on centrals to at least get efficiency there, and use your Archived Memories to recycle assets and upgrades and force more runs. Also try to install stuff into the remote at a rate of 1 per turn unless you are sure it'll net you a scored agenda or you can pull off a Melange with it or something big like that.

Lastly, a card that deserves mention is the 1x Power Grid Overload. It has 2 uses. Firstly, if it gets spotted, this might make runners believe I'm going for Scorched Earth, even if they had already excluded the possibility before. Secondly, it's main usage is blowing up Console's especially those whose MU is fully used, thus forcing the runner to trash programs, which is in line with the rest of the strategy of the deck. Ideally, you get an Atlas with a counter scored, wait until the runner exhausts his bank on a run, then use the Atlas to fetch it up and blow an important Console, like Grimoire or Desperado for cheap. It's not always reliable, but I feel like it's worth the 1 card slot.

Alright then, on to my runner deck.

Identity:
Gabriel Santiago: Consummate Professional (Core)

Total Cards: (45)

Event: (20)
Account Siphon (Core) x3
Inside Job (Core) x3
Special Order (Core) x3
Infiltration (Core) x3
Sure Gamble (Core) x3
The Maker's Eye (Core) x2 ■■
Easy Mark (Core) x3

Hardware: (9)
Desperado (Core) x3
Lemuria Codecracker (Core) x1
E3 Feedback Implants (Trace Amount) x2
Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead) x3

Program: (14)
Femme Fatale (Core) x3
Ninja (Core) x1
Sneakdoor Beta (Core) x2
Corroder (Core) x3 ■■
Yog.0 (Core) x1 ■
Magnum Opus (Core) x2 ■■
Peacock (What Lies Ahead) x2

Resource: (2)
Armitage Codebusting (Core) x2

Influence Values Totals -
Anarch: 7
Criminal: 59
Shaper: 8

Credit for this deck goes to Jopejope. It is interesting to note that I completely played this deck wrong for my first bunch of Swiss games. I thought a hand with breakers was good, I was wrong. The only thing you really care for in your first hand is money cards. Armitage is best, Magnum Opus is ok, Sure Gamble and Easy Mark are also good, Account Siphon and Desperado are ok-ish, but not enough on their own.

It's clearly an early pressure deck, which packs a whole lot of breakers. You want to get them early to put pressure and keep pressuring, and to make sure you don't run out of steam, as Criminal decks tend to do, you eventually get Magnum Opus to keep you going. Yog.0 is a great surprise splash, and for 1 influence and the ability to tutor it, you really can't not take it in Criminals, it's just awesome. Femme is obviously your main engine for getting past the first big ice the corp manages to rez and keep the pressure on. 2x E3 is also kind of mandatory in my view, as HB remains strong and it's just such an amazingly strong counter to Bioroids.

Lemuria was supposed to do for exposing what Magnum Opus does for my economy, that is, keep me going in the lategame. In reality, it was shit and I never used it. I also really, really missed not having any Stimhacks. Now, the reason there are 3 Corroders is to get that rig set up damn fast and just put massive pressure. Furthermore, I once won a game where a Neural Katana destroyed 2 Corroders and the corp thought I had no furhter barrier breakers. However, I think cutting a Corroder and the Lemuria to add 2 Stimhacks would make this deck better. Stimhack is especially great against Ash, which I really didn't have a lot of ways to deal with as the decklist stands. You get that Ash on a Melange in a remote, and it's time to take free money until the agendas come. Then drop them down in that remote and as long as theres enough ice there I'm completely screwed. Then either drop the next Melange, or even Adonis, or get an old one back with Archived Memories and repeat. Stimhack is the answer here, and in plenty of other hairy situations.

Plascrete helps explain why there are only 2 Armitages in this deck. The idea is that I want to ignore tags completely. This allows me to not clear them from Account Siphons, as well as ignore a slew of ice. Ofcourse, I don't want to do this until 1 or preferably 2 Plascrete's are actually on the table, which is why I'm running 3.

Ninja didn't really see much play, but it's still worth a slot in case you get in an Archer + Corporate Troubleshooter situation in the lategame I feel. Sure, ideally you Femme that Archer, but if you're out of those, Ninja is the only way you'll win that economic battle, similar to Stimhack vs Ash.

Lastly, the hard cut of this deck was Forged Activation Orders. It's a good card, but there just wasn't room. I suggested to Jopejope to cut the Easy Marks for the FAO's, and I tried that out a bunch of times, but it just wasn't working for me. It often slowed me down just too much, and it really reduced the amount of great opening hands I could draw. Now, I noticed that 3/4ths of you voted FAO over Infiltration in the top card poll. All 3/4ths of you were completely wrong. Infiltration is by and away better than Forged Activation Orders and I would never even consider cutting it for FAO in this deck, or really almost any other deck. Infiltration not only protects from Ambushes, but in the lategame it also becomes flat out the best economy card for the runner, when it can save you from making a needless run on a fat remote. Furthermore, it can be ditched for 2 credits in case of emergency, so not only is it efficient, allows you to do something vital, but it's also incredibly flexible. Thus, I'd like to formally petition putting Infiltration back into the competition for best card, because it being defeated in a landslide by FAO is just so incredibly wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Angell
msg tools
thanks for the breakdown. congrats on 2nd. ive watched a lot of the games Db0 has from this tourney on his channel and the level of play is quite high psst the first round so getting all the way to the finals is great.

hopefully the next tournament will be a different format lol. way too many good reasons to run criminal/weyland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orange Devil
msg tools
Oh shit I forgot to post this and I really wanted to:

I'd really like to see Wormhole Surfer's Weyland deck he ran in the tourney, because I have a suspicion his Weyland might actually be the best that was in the tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Martin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nice decks! I'm flattered you decided to run my criminal deck in the tourney. I think you made a couple of small changes from my original list, which is you took out an Armitage and a Sneakdoor for a 3rd Femme and a 2nd Peacock. In the version I ran for the tourney, I dropped the Lemuria for a 2nd Peacock. As you say, Lemuria is good in theory but in practice it just doesn't hold its own often enough and ultimately isn't worth the slot. I agonized over that cut for a while though.

Pity you didn't get to practice with the deck more. Yeah, you definitely want to mulligan into economy if possible. An opening hand full of icebreakers is about as bad as it gets, except of course for Corroder which you always want to draw ASAP.

I do think you should have kept 3x Armitage though. For the tag-me aspect of this deck, it isn't a problem, as Armitage is still perfectly cost effective if you have tags. You play it on the first click and then take 6 off it, and the corp merely breaks even by trashing it. Sometimes you can even leave 8 credits on it as it is worth the extra credit just to keep the corp broke.

Also, unlike with Magnum-Shaper where you can kind of use Magnum Opus in lieu of Armitage, with Magnum-Criminal you want to delay playing Magnum Opus as long as possible. As you point out, having an Armitage in your opening hand is super valuable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orange Devil
msg tools
jopejope wrote:
Nice decks! I'm flattered you decided to run my criminal deck in the tourney. I think you made a couple of small changes from my original list, which is you took out an Armitage and a Sneakdoor for a 3rd Femme and a 2nd Peacock. In the version I ran for the tourney, I dropped the Lemuria for a 2nd Peacock. As you say, Lemuria is good in theory but in practice it just doesn't hold its own often enough and ultimately isn't worth the slot. I agonized over that cut for a while though.

I'm pretty sure I ran the version you showed me, but maybe you still tweaked it a bit after.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Martin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Orange Devil wrote:
jopejope wrote:

I'm pretty sure I ran the version you showed me, but maybe you still tweaked it a bit after.

Yeah, I suppose that's possible. I do tend to tweak decks a lot as I play them. Regardless, I'm glad you managed to do so well with one of my decks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.