Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last week was my first game of Hold the Line. I soloed the Battle of Long Island and the British failed miserably trying to use their elite units to assault the hills defended by the Americans. The session report can be seen here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/962469/george-washington-lea...

This weekend I decided to see if the British could learn from last week's defeat.

I consulted the maps of the historical campaign to see how they actually succeeded and realized that the trick was a right wing sweep through the Jamaica Pass.

So I decided to set up the British with their light infantry and dragoons on the right flank but also the elite infantry paired with the leaders in order to potentially move 2 hexes without risking incurring negative effects of forced marches. I also placed the British cannons in order to help support the assault on the American held hills from East to West.

So the battle started as planned with the British using their right wing to swing around the American defenses while assaulting the ridge from East to West.

The Americans decided that it was smarter to accept combat in the East to delay the retreat of the militia from the right flank back to Brooklyn. The hope was to win the game by evacuating the 7 units necessary for a win.

The British plan was functioning well except that the Americans seemed like they were going to be able to evacuate their troops before the British were able to defeat the required Americans units to secure a win.

Hence, The British had to accelerate their attack with bold almost suicidal attack on the American entrenchments in Brooklyn with their light infantry who could get there faster than the stronger line units.

In the end the desperate assault on Brooklyn Heights failed and the Americans were able to evacuate enough units to fight another day.

What a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the AAR!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. It's fun to write them.

I find that it is actually easier to write an AAR for a wargame than a eurogame. The narration is just clearer for a battle.

I used to play Memoir '44 a lot years ago and that's probably the last time I attempted to write a session report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.