6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: Press Kit/Sales Piece rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darryl Taylor
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi There. I want to create a press kit for my game that I can email around to potential buyers. Something to show pictures of it and to outline highlights to create interest.

I can't find any websites that show samples or offer advice or templates that help me write one. Are there any web sites that can help me?

Thank You
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sending out samples is very much a personal and specific thing. I am not aware of any rules, or even guidelines, that would help you first off.

It really comes down to a number of permutations that will affect how you approach your sales pitch. I would suggest the following considerations to take into account before you draw up your plan of attack.

1) How large, extensive is your game? A massive and elaborate game needs to be reflected in any test prototype. A few hand-drawn chits will not fairly represent a game full of stylish miniatures and cards for example.

2) Cost must be in line with potential production. Don't spend a fortune producing a lavish press kit if the game is only going to be a simple party game or a basic card game.

3) Your press kit needs to accurately reflect the game itself. Short of producing a scaled down copy, you need to have enough in it to give a good idea of what the finished game will look like, how it will play and what is in it that makes it a must get game.

4) Be clear at all stages - what you have produced, why it should be looked at and what you expect to get out of it are all necessary.

5) Choose your test market carefully. Not everyone is interested in every type of game. Categorise your game carefully (for example wargame or party game etc.) and aim your marketing drive at those persons or organisations who would be interested in what you have to offer.

6) Be sure of what you are offering. Is it a press kit or is it a complete review copy of your game? Proper game reviewers or potential publishers will expect the full works, a column writer in a small hobby rag might be prepared to write something on the strength of a brief description.

At the end of the day you need to sell your product, so good English and ample and well-crafted photos should do the trick. Don't be too exuberant about what is your product that you will look at through rose coloured spectacles, simply be honest and accurate. Just off the top of my head I would suggest a press packet to include a good synopsis of the game, a brief play example, some supporting photos to show contents plus in play shots, examples of game items (cards, chits, even rules, but leave out the miniatures), your marketing strategy (target market, approximate costings, print run etc.) as well as background on you and your game (something positive that shows your enthusiasm as well as your proper research etc.). Lastly the press kit must be of a good enough standard to avoid an immediate launch into a waste bin. Bad grammar, obvious errors, poor spelling will all turn a potential buyer off. It is even worth getting your press kit proof-read by a third party to, hopefully, help you achieve an independent and honest appraisal.

Good luck - it's a thankless task.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe what you are looking for is called a "sell sheet", and is typically used when approaching publishers with your game idea.

You can find more information here: http://inspirationtopublication.wordpress.com/2010/10/03/ste...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Taylor
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks Guys. This is exactly what I was looking for. Now I'm off to write my sell sheet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Taylor
Canada
flag msg tools

Hi everyone. Attached is the sell sheet I created for my SuperStar Hockey board game. I would appreciate any pointers because I hope to send it out soon. Thanks for taking a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice; now, consider that I'm not in the publishing business, but it looks to hit all the points you'd need to hit.

Best of luck with your game!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.