Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Ginn
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have some options if you'd like to outfit this game with different dice. The easiest solution is to apply the stickers to standard 16mm blank dice. Chessex, Koplow and several other dice manufacturers make this kind of dice. I would rather have dice similar to what came with the game but in one, solid piece rather than hollow and 3 separate pieces. The dice in Battle Cry are exactly what I need but nobody in the US makes them. There is, however, a UK retailer (http://www.the-education-shop.co.uk/acatalog/BLANK_DICE.html) that you can use. I didn't since I'm in the US and believe with shipping, it would be cost prohibitive.

Alternatively, there are several Hasbro games that use the same dice (in different colors) as Battle Cry and you can order replacement parts from Hasbro's web site (http://www.hasbro.com/default.cfm?page=cs_parts). The easiest choice is Yahtzee Jr. Pokemon edition. It has 5 dice (not sure color) and the cost is $2/set of 5. Don't know the turn around time for this but that is probably the least costly route to that type of dice (barring a thrift shop find). Other games you can do this with: Buffy the Vampire Slayer (10 dice of various colors - $3) and Yahtzee Jr, Toy Story (5 dice - $2.50).

You may also be able to receive instant gratification by traveling to your local TRU and taking a look at what they have on clearance. I was able to pick up 2 copies of Yahtzee Jr Duelmasters for $5/copy. Yes, that's $10 for 10 dice (they are red). It's more than I really wanted to spend for a set of replacement dice but I did find the dice I wanted, have applied the labels and played the first scenario this evening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are lots of online retailers that sell specialty dice

http://www.rpgshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=31562&

http://www.darkelfcollection.com/main/index.php?cPath=33&osC...

http://www.gamestation.net/

http://www.advancinghordes.com/product_info.php/products_id/...
http://www.advancinghordes.com/product_info.php/cPath/2_77/p...

etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.svgames.com/7594143301.html

The Attack and Defense Dice for Star Wars : Queens Gambit are exactly like Battle Cry Dice. 8 black and 6 White to a pack. May color copies of your stickers onto label stock first and have enough for two sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Goff
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The easiest solution is to apply the stickers to standard 16mm blank dice. Chessex, Koplow and several other dice manufacturers make this kind of dice.

Don't forget to check your area for "teacher's supply" stores. They also have blank dice in various colors. No need to go online if you can find it locally. A local phone call can save you the trip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, John, but they appear to be out-of-stock at SVGames. Hasbro doesn't show them in stock, either. Any other sources?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ginn
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peacmyer wrote:
Thanks, John, but they appear to be out-of-stock at SVGames. Hasbro doesn't show them in stock, either. Any other sources?

I couldn't find any other sources for the dice in Queen's Gambit but there are a few choices of other games through Hasbro's replacement parts service (http://www.hasbro.com/default.cfm?page=cs_parts). The lowest cost per die is Buffy ($3) at $.30/die. There are 10 dice in 4 colors (4 red, 3 yellow, 2 blue, 1 black). Or Yahtzee Jr Pokemon ($2) at $.40/die (5 red -- you need 2 sets). I've not ordered from them before so I don't know what the wait will be. Like Queen's Gambit, these are the same type of dice used in Battle Cry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered 16mm blank cubes from Gamestation.net, slightly resized and printed out a scan of the dice labels, cut them out and applied them to the dice. Not sure how durable these will be (my main concern is with the labels themselves), but they certainly look and feel better than those injection-molded abominations provided in the game!

~Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished making mine from 16mm Chessex blanks. Used the smaller stickers available as PDF and coated them with Krylon Crystal Clear:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ginn5j wrote:
There is, however, a UK retailer (http://www.the-education-shop.co.uk/acatalog/BLANK_DICE.html) that you can use. I didn't since I'm in the US and believe with shipping, it would be cost prohibitive.

I ordered the 19mm Indented dice from them and they are perfect! They are solid, heavy and the faces are larger so stickers fit without any problems.

If you order you should consider buying a couple of packs because they come in random colors (so i ended up with 5 white and 5 yellow).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Borges
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday fellow gamer Steve and I stuck on the stickers and then played two games.
We used regular dotted dice (nicely sized ones that came with Cosmic Cows). It was a tad bit confusing because we didn't have the colours/shapes, but it worked out perfectly.

My plan: I'm going to paint the dots on black dice to match the ones for C&C...
1 = Green
2 = Blue
3 = Red
4 = White (connect the dots and fill in the space like the flags)
5 = White (connect the dots to make crossed swords)
6 = Purple

It's simple and not as good looking as having the stickers on, but I'll test it on one and if it works, it's a keeper method for the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Another easy option is to go to your local Goodwill store and pick up a copy of "Junior Yahtzee" or whatever they're calling it nowadays. Since the kids version uses pictures instead of numbers on the dice, it's easy to peel the stickers off and use your own. There are other games featuring custom dice tht I've replaced in this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Becker
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
L Myrick, your dice look awesome. Very professional. And 8 or 10 seems to be the right number for the game. It is amazing that GMT did not do the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, as a temporary measure until some higher-quality dice can be found, we played using conventional dice.

We assigned numerical values to match the symbols in the order that they appear on the Fire and Close Combat charts, so from left to right:

1 = light
2 = medium
3 = heavy
4 = sword hit
5 = retreat
6 = possible leader hit

This became so intuitive after the first battle that I won't be bothering to purchase replacement dice blanks, and I think my opponent might not bother, either.

It's a shame that GMT felt they had to cut costs here to bring the price point down to an acceptable level, but I guess that's what can happen when you have a print run of a few thousand and not the 100,000+ like Days of Wonder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, GMT was expecting dice exactly like Battle Cry and "surprised" by the vendor at the last minute.

They had to choose between shipping with the dice that they had 10,000 of or holding off, haggling with the vendor, and waiting until they could find other dice.

Given the flak they've received, they may now be wishing that they had gone the other route. I'm sort of glad to have the game in hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
For what it's worth, GMT was expecting dice exactly like Battle Cry and "surprised" by the vendor at the last minute.

They had to choose between shipping with the dice that they had 10,000 of or holding off, haggling with the vendor, and waiting until they could find other dice.

Given the flak they've received, they may now be wishing that they had gone the other route. I'm sort of glad to have the game in hand.

So am I. Crap dice or no, it's a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Borges
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:

Makes you wonder if they might offer replacement dice from their site? Not exactly free to those who bought the game, but they could be cheap and still get some purchases.
We used normal dice, and like Kevin Moody above, it worked just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Takacs
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found an interesting alternative to those players who want to use different dice. Check out the following link (it is the 6 color die):

http://www.grandprixintl.com/dice/specialty_dice.htm

The sides are blue, red, green, purple, orange and yellow. I have no idea how much they cost, but there is a minimum order. Maybe a group of people can get together and purchase these if they are interested. Just an idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edosan, a few posts previously, has the ticket. Yahtzee Jr. dice. They have the recessed surface for the stickers. Plus I think that they are a few mm larger, and they definitly have a little more heft. For 50 cents to a dollar you can find one of these games at a thrift store...5 dice per game, so three purchases, will net you 15 dice. Mine happen to have Disney characters on them, but I've also seen Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle sets, and (I think Spiderman, too). I'm sure there are others as well. As for extra dice stickers, I just copied the image posted here onto a label sheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shakin' Sorry can be found at thrift stores sometimes.

Yellow face = Retreat. Use Sharpie on the bank faces

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/50200

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fritz
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These same dice are also used in the Mission Command: Land game. Glad I bought three copies for $5.00 each awhile ago and never assembled them.. This game is also good for the tank minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Becker
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like lmyrick above, I have made my own dice from printed labels and Chessex 16 mm blanks. Instead of white, I used black blanks. I thought glossy photographic ink-jet paper would produce a crisp graphic, and it did, but the thickness of the paper left a white edge which I thought would be visible against the black dice. So I touched up all edges with a Sharpie marker before gluing to the blank die. I glued with Zap A Gap cyanoacrylate glue (super glue). Then I sealed the dice with Krylon Crystal Clear which is a glossy poly-varnish.

Well, the photo shows the dice up close, warts and all. You can see ink bleeding on some of helmet sides which is due to the varnish dissolving the marker ink and reabsorbing it into the paper. You can see some thick paper edges, perhaps a thinner paper would have been better, and that would have obviated using markers on the edges.

Nevertheless, the colors are saturated, and the graphics are crisp. It is tough to see the imperfections from an arms-length away. There also is a nice heft to these dice that the originals do not have. So I will be using these over the orignal GMT dice for sure.

Finally, how many to make? I thought that 10 would be good since 5 is what the heavies roll, and 10 gives you 5 for each side. However, you have to consider the "clash of shields" cards which gives the heavies 7 dice. So perhaps 7 for each side would be better. And perhaps brown and gray to match the Carthago and Roman blocks.

Total cost: about $0.60 for each die from my FLGS, sundry paper and super glue which I had, and about 1 hour of printing, cutting, gluing, and spraying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not too sure if the size is right, but if I recently got replacement dice from Fantasy Flight Games for my Doom: The Boardgame. I got mine for free (the original dice are notorious for fading after a few games)BUT FFG also sells a set of replacement dice for $1.00. Their "faces" are stickers applied to recessed sides. You should be able to easily remove the original stickers and replace them with the ones provided by GMT games. Here's a link to FFG's replacement Doom: The Boardgame dice: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Scr...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crusader4x wrote:
I'm not too sure if the size is right, but if I recently got replacement dice from Fantasy Flight Games for my Doom: The Boardgame. I got mine for free (the original dice are notorious for fading after a few games)BUT FFG also sells a set of replacement dice for $1.00. Their "faces" are stickers applied to recessed sides. You should be able to easily remove the original stickers and replace them with the ones provided by GMT games. Here's a link to FFG's replacement Doom: The Boardgame dice: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Scr...

Well, I just got home and did a size comparison. It looks like the FFG replacement dice for Doom: The Boardgame are PERFECT replacements for the CC:A stinky dice. Again, you'll have to remove the Doom stickers and replace them with the CC:A stickers but they'll look awesome. I think I'm gonna order some of these dice to use myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heinzmann
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
where might that pdf be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heinzmann
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.thewargamer.com/ccancients/modules/CCDice90.pdf
Got it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.