Subject: "And In Conclusion . . .", a solo Witch King session report. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Everybody wants to be a Game Designer but nobody wants to be a Game Designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the final in a series of sixteen session reports covering twenty five games of Magic Realm featuring solo characters. This one features the non-random Witch King. (I had actually drawn the Witch King third but since I had just played the Sorceror I didn't want to play such a similar game. I then decided to make him last because he is so powerful.)

As usual, I'm using my standard optional rules listed at the end.

Hating all life, I just planned on killing anything and everything I could find. I put 3 points into Fame and 2 points into Notoriety, selecting Fiery Blast, Absorb Essence, Melt into Mist, and Broomstick. Fiery Blast for frying goblins, absorb essence once I find the Tremendous Flying Dragon (TFD), Melt into Mist to run away from anything and everything that could hurt me and Broomstick if I can't find the Hoard soon enough.

I started in the clearing with the Ghosts, really close to the Chapel, House and Borderland. I went into Borderland on day 1 and found Ruins C and the Lost City: Patter 2, Lair 3, Howl 4, Roar 6, and Hoard 6. Exactly what I was looking for although half of the monster rolls would summon nothing.

I waited until day 4 before a monster roll summoned anything and it was a 1, bringing a Tremendous Dragon to my clearing as well as a Heavy Dragon and the TFD to clearing 6. On day 5 I moved into clearing 6, cast Absorb Essence on the TFD and killed the Heavy Dragon for 5 Fame and Notoriety. Afterwards I moved to clearing 1 to rest up and wait for things to come to me.

On day 8, the Tremendous Dragon moves to my clearing while another appears in clearing 6. I killed it from hiding in my dragon form for 10 Fame and Notoriety.

On day 12, two Heavy Trolls joined the Tremendous Dragon in clearing 6. I moved in the next day, killing first a troll, then the TD, then the other troll for 40 Fame and Notoriety.

On day 14, the monster roll is a 3 and all eighteen goblins showed up, twelve in my clearing while the spear goblins were in clearing 4. I misted up and combat ended.

Failing my hide roll the next day the monster roll was a 3 again and the spear goblins joined us. Failed the hide again on day 16. Finally, on day 17, I made my hide roll and alerted a type IV chit. I cast Fiery Blast on all eighteen goblins, killing 3 axe goblins, 5 spear goblins, and 3 sword goblins for a total of 66 Fame and Notoriety. With too many sword goblins still running around, I had to use a black to fly away since I was all out of purple.

I spent the next five days resting up, enchanting my chits and moving back into position, spending day 21 as mist. Nothing came prowling by and I was finally forced to travel down to the remaining goblins on day 26 with another alerted type IV spell. I killed five of the seven remaining goblins, leaving one axe goblin and one sword goblin. I transformed into my dragon form and killed both of them for 28 Fame and Notoriety.

Nothing regenerated on day 28 (rolled a 5) and I was left all alone and lonely in the Borderland, Winning with 59 Victory Points. I ended with 149 Fame and 149 Notoriety.

A quick game and it went as I suspected it would once I found the Hoard so close to my start.

-----------------------------------------------------

So, that's it. All sixteen characters played solo and each survived with positive victory points. Some took more than one game to finally win: the Dwarf, Swordsman, and Magician each took three games while the Pilgrim, White Knight, Berserker, and Black Knight each took two games. The other nine characters I was able to win on the first try, mostly by cautious play and more than a little luck.

The most difficult part of this whole process was trying not to play all of these games as fast as possible. Even when I won with a character, sometimes I really wanted to start another game with them just to try some different things. As you can tell,when I got down to the final six characters I just kept on playing until I was done.

Even after all of these games and typing up all of these session reports, I never once got bored. I would even think about upcoming strategies while I was at work since I would pick some characters days before I actually played them. I really enjoyed going back to the core of the game and figuring out new ways to play characters that I hadn't even considered during the past few decades of multicharacter games.

So, thanks for reading! I hope you all enjoyed my recaps of some very fun games and I hope all of you who don't own Magic Realm get a chance to own it soon.

-----------------------------------------------------

Optional rules selected were: Caching, Dropping and Losing Belongings, Ambush Rules, Serious Wounds, Grudges/Gratitude, Enhanced Artifacts and Spell Books, both for Wizard, Captain, Woods Girl, Magician, both for Druid, Persistent Chits, Birdsong Rearrangement, No Spell Limit, Decline Opportunity, No Mission/Visitor Flip, No Campaigns, Knights Adjustment, Watchful Natives, Extended Grudges, Benevolent Spells.

----------------------------------------------------

Optional rules that had no bearing on my games:

Caching (never used),

Serious Wounds (no surviving characters ever took any serious wounds although some of my losing characters did.),

Enhanced Artifacts and Spell Books (I would have if given the opportunity even once, though),

Persistent Chits (because I was recording everything anyway),

Birdsong Rearrangement (because I never forgot to reorganize my belongings during the day),

No Spell Limit (becaue I never tried to learn more than 14 spells)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McKendrick
United Kingdom
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kept hearing you saying 'mwaahaahaah' throughout this report

-John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will miss your reports! I bought MR about 30 years ago and just last week broke it out again as you had inspired me to give it a try again after all these years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Valkyser
Germany
Wesseling
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

And now you should go on and try some of the many custom characters that are available for Realmspeak.
There are some very interesting and challenging characters out there which provide for some very rewarding playing experiences (talk about Beancounter, Battlemage, Arquebusier, Red Knight, Ninja, Peasant).

I would also love to read a report of yours after having played one of those custom characters!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robertg611 wrote:
This is the final in a series of sixteen session reports covering twenty five games of Magic Realm featuring solo characters.

Thanks for the write-up. I enjoyed reading them very much.

I think you should make a geeklist with links to all these session reports, to make it easier to find them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
robertg611 wrote:
This is the final in a series of sixteen session reports covering twenty five games of Magic Realm featuring solo characters.

Thanks for the write-up. I enjoyed reading them very much.

I think you should make a geeklist with links to all these session reports, to make it easier to find them all.

I thought about it, even mentioned it in the Maqicians writeup. During the first ten session reports, you can find links to all of the previous games in the series. After that, I noticed in the Session Reports for Magic Realm that it was pretty obvious which ones were mine. They all have similar titles and even have my username listed. In the end, I felt creating a geeklist would just seem like I was fishing for more thumbs. I'll gladly create one of people think it will bring more attention to the game though.

Edit: Oh, and thanks for the tips Werbear! You too, John and all of the others that I'm forgetting. The positive feedback in comments, thumbs, and tips was very encouraging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ashton
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work. Now do it again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mvkhaos wrote:

Before or after my sixteen character game?

Nope, I think someone else needs to try next. I've got some new games that need playing as well as some old games that I've still not played. I do have plans to maybe play through the fourteen scenarios in Swords & Sorcery...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mvkhaos wrote:

Ok, maybe. I'll think about it. It would be a lot of fun . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.