Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I played my first game ever with the core set, and I feel like I broke the rules somehow. I played Passage Through Mirkwood with the Spirit deck. With a starting threat level of 24, I didn't have to face the Forest Spider that comes out immediately. Instead, I used Dunhere to deal some damage to him, then played The Galadhrim's Greeting to bring my threat level down to 18 (19 after refresh). I was then able to use Dunhere again to finish off the spider.

The rest of the game went in much the same way. Perhaps I was just lucky when it came to the cards, because the only other enemies I drew were another Forest Spider and the Dol Guldur Beastmaster. I just kept questing with Eowyn and a few allies, using Dunhere to attack the staging area enemies when needed, and maintaining my threat level (I did play The Galadhrim's Greeting again later to keep it down). When all was said and done, I had finished without engaging a single enemy.

Oh, and I ended up with Beorn's Path as my final quest card. Maybe I did have the cards on my side.

Did I misuse Dunhere, or did I play it correctly? Was I just lucky to not draw any enemies that required engagement?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You were lucky not to draw the low engagement value enemies like Black Forest Bats (15), East Bight Patrol (5) or Dol Guldur Orcs (10) and that you didn't get "Don't Leave the Path!". Otherwise your strategy would have been ruined. sauron
But this kind of strategy is even supported by the designers. They introduced a mechanic called Secrecy, that encourages low threat, in the 2nd cycle of adventure packs. But it doesn't work in every quest and players agree that it needs some development.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, this quest is a difficulty of 1. Trust me, they get a lot harder! sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
Also, this quest is a difficulty of 1. Trust me, they get a lot harder! sauron

I don't doubt that. It just seemed like an odd session for my first one... enough to make me question my comprehension of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what you have said, sounds like you played everything correctly. The encounter deck was just kind to you that time through. Play it again a few more times and I'm sure you'll find it to be less kind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Caldwell
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just completed my first game (solo). I played the passage through mirkwood using the Leadership deck. I got Steward of Gondor and Faramir in my initial hand.

At first I thought i was in trouble as Gloin tok 2 damage early. Though I got lucky hitting a lot of lands when drawing encounters and shadow cards. Once I got Faramir out, I was getting a bunch of progress tokens from Quest phase and was able to plow through the first objective by the 3rd round. Hit the Boss Spider in rounds 4 and 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE: I played a second game last night, same deck, same scenario. This time, the enemies came out early and often. sauron I won, but it was close. Knowing that my party was on the edge of defeat, I went all in against Ungoliant's Spawn. I brought Gandalf out of my hand, committed no characters to the quest (bumping my threat level up by 8 points and nearly causing Chieftan Ufthak to engage), used a Wandering Took as spider food, and attacked with the rest. The heroes prevailed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.