Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/145148/
badge
Expand
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Magic since Fallen Empires and I thought I might get back into it a little bit. I'd like to play green and white, some of the Ravnica stuff seemed cool, esp. the green token creature/populate jazz. Is there a pre-built deck focused on that? Is the secondary market the way to go or would I be better off buying a booster box or something like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a few weeks, they'll be releasing an event deck along with the new expansion focused on Selesnya. You can find it at your local Magic shop or online. The retail is $25, but it'll have 10 rares in it, and historically, the price may rise due to the rares included. The decklist hasn't been released yet, but this might be your best bet to start. There's also a cheaper intro deck from Return to Ravnica ($15, with 2 boosters) available.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/dai...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're in luck! This should be coming out in just a couple weeks! Event decks are generally tuned to be very competitive out of the box, and should do well at Friday Night Magics, for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to what was already posted (I'm too slow), in my opinion, if you are just playing casually, you should start with one of the starter decks, like the Selesnya one:

http://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/productarticle.aspx?x=mtg/t...

Build off that by buying or trading for single cards you need. Just buying boosters is also OK (most Selesnya cards will be in Return to Ravnica), but you will end up with a lot of cards that don't fit in the deck. Dragon's Maze will also have some great Selesnya cards in it.

Look for deck lists on the net for ideas on cards to add. A good place to go if you like white and green is a "Naya Humans" deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ErikPeter Walker
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Expand
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm not familiar with guilds, is there a guild for each color combo? Should I look at Selesnya, like the guild pack I see from Return to Ravnica?

That looks like a good pack to get. I will check it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ErikPeter Walker
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Expand
mbmbmbmbmb
So the guild packs are still randomized, you're just guaranteed one of the rares you want?

I'm looking at the Boros Legion and they look nice too, is there anything out for them (Google points me at Dragon's Maze only)?

Is it cost effective to buy guild packs, or is the advantage of a few cards you want not as good as having just many many cards, e.g. a booster box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The intro packs for each guild are a fixed deck and two random booster packs. They are great for casual players as it gives you a deck you can play right out of the package.

They aren't cost effective though, the rares in the fixed portions of the deck are always bulk rares ($0.5 or less) so you are essentially paying $10 for 2 boosters which is expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Vollick1979 wrote:
They aren't cost effective though, the rares in the fixed portions of the deck are always bulk rares ($0.5 or less) so you are essentially paying $10 for 2 boosters which is expensive.

Usually, not always. Two Dark Ascension intros contained Innistrad rares that are over $3.00 today. Dark Ascension intro decks Swift Justice and Dark Sacrifice contained Stormkirk Noble (~$3.50) and Champion of the Parish (~$5.00), respectively.

This block's been a tad weaker, with Mizzium Mortars (Izzet) being the only $3 rare in intro packs. Firemane Avenger (Boros) and Corpsejack Menace (Golgari) are the happy side of $1 though, and High Priest of Penance (Orzhov) right at the $1 mark.

Some of that may be self-fulfilling prophecy, though. I have a suspicion Corpsejack Menace would be more than a $1.25 rare if there weren't so many extras out there from the intro packs and the prerelease packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Miller
United States
Westminster
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I can branch off this question, can you guys tell me if the secondary costs of singles come down post rotation? I've got my eye on some cards from Innistrad block, but I can wait 6 months if they are likely to drop in price significantly, as this is for my own cube and not a standard competitive deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Most-likely-yes. There's no sure thing - if a card happens to hit it big in a successful modern deck right before rotation it may hold value or even surge at rotation. But for the most part, at rotation time there is a sudden abundance of supply on the secondary market, and unless the cards are as viable in Modern as they were in Standard, demand is low, so prices crash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that there are some cards in Innistrad that see Modern and even Legacy play, so they may even JUMP in price. However, the bulk of cards will drop 50%-75% in value. In my speculation, the cards to buy after rotation are:

The rare dual lands (Isolated Chapel, etc)
Garruk
Olivia Voldaren
Falkenrath Aristocrat
Sorin
Geralf's Messenger
Hellrider
the Avacyn Restored Mythic angels
Cavern of Souls
Tamiyo
Bonfire
And any rare hovering around the $3-5 range like Mayor of Avabruck or Silverblade Paladin

Cards I believe will RISE or only lose 10%-20% of value in price:
Liliana of the Viel
Snapcaster Mage
Geist of St Traft
Thalia
Gravecrawler
Restoration Angel
Griselbrand

This is just speculation though, and I could be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I *hope* Cavern drops, but it wouldn't surprise me if it holds.

Vexing Devil is another one I suspect may hold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree on both of those, and my assumption on Cavern would be that it would behave sort of like Reflecting Pool did. Still spendy, but not $30 spendy.

My list was basically a quick and dirty of what came to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
mbmbmbmb
I think your list is pretty close to spot on. Any thoughts on commons and/or uncommons that will hold their value or rise? My personal guesses are that at least these will hold:

Delver of Secrets
Invisible Stalker
Lingering Souls
Thought Scour
Bump in the Night
Tragic Slip
Faithless Looting
Unburial Rites

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could see most of those except for Lingering Souls, Unburial Rites, and Invisible Stalkers to drop. Delver will be easy to get for a while, and commons don't notoriously rise unless they are from a small print run. ISD, was one of the largest ever printed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
I could see most of those except for Lingering Souls, Unburial Rites, and Invisible Stalkers to drop. Delver will be easy to get for a while, and commons don't notoriously rise unless they are from a small print run. ISD, was one of the largest ever printed.

You might be right about those others, they certainly are iffy. Bump is played in Modern burn, but the rest are perhaps not going to make it against other cards in the eternal formats. As for commons rising in value, it might not happen right away, but it do happen. And the it's a bit painful to be paying $1-$2 for them. I was surprised myself recently when I noticed I have only one Spell Pierce and the local price for them was 1.50€.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind though that many of the extremely expensive uncommons out there are either because they see play in multiple decks, or because the set it originated from was in the days before we had a huge surge in player base. You just don't see many expensive uncommons from Zendikar forward (Inquisition of Kozilek is the only non-Standard uncommon worth more than a couple of bucks), yet between Mirrodin and Shards, it's quite a few. This was a pretty low time in player numbers:

Mind Funeral U 5.31 Sorcery Alara Reborn
Counterbalance U 6.77 Enchantment Coldsnap
Path to Exile U 6.71 Instant Conflux
AEther Vial U 16.49 Artifact Darksteel
Spell Snare U 8.54 Instant Dissension
Paradise Mantle U 8.32 Artifact Fifth Dawn
Aven Mindcensor U 8.45 Creature Future Sight
Imperious Perfect U 4.76 Creature Lorwyn
Isochron Scepter U 5.65 Artifact Mirrodin
Remand U 9.84 Instant Ravnica
Kitchen Finks U 10.68 Creature Shadowmoor
Spectral Procession U 4.45 Sorcery Shadowmoor
Undead Warchief U 4.7 Creature Timeshifted
Lava Spike C 3.49 Sorcery - Arcane Champions of Kamigawa
Serum Visions C 2.94 Sorcery Fifth Dawn
Manamorphose C 2.93 Instant Shadowmoor
Sleight of Hand C 2.19 Sorcery Ninth Edition
Relic of Progenitus C 2.00 Artifact Shards of Alara
Rift Bolt C 1.89 Sorcery Time Spiral
Cranial Plating C 1.69 Artifact Fifth Dawn
Chromatic Star C 1.50 Artifact Time Spiral
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You're probably right about those print runs, I have basically no knowledge of those.

Looking at that list above makes me sad I didn't get several of them when they were cheap. When did Paradise Mantle hit that value? Last time I checked it was around $1. I want that one for a very casual deck, but not at that price. And that fourth AEther Vial I recent traded for...ouch, had to trade some really good stuff to get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It became a combo piece in Modern:

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/dai...

It gained a ton of traction early as it could kill turn 2 or 3 easily, but eventually fizzed in popularity since it was fragile. There was also a combo deck involving Puresteel Palladin and Mantle. However, I think as with most price jumps, it's the speculators jumping on a card's limited availibility and new found popularity and forcing the price to jump. When the interest dies, the price drops, but only by a slight amount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ah, that deck. I remember seeing that article, but forgot about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I am starting to think that DGM common "Hidden Strings" will re-start the Weird Deck. I came up with a fantasyland hand that is Standard-legal that wins on turn 2 (can deal 30 T2 damage on the draw, and 24 on the play).

Get ready for Fantasyland!

Turn 1: Mountain, Blistercoil Weird

Turn 2: Hallowed Fountain (pay 2 life to enter play untapped)
Hidden Strings (Untap both lands, Weird gets +1/+1, Cipher onto Weird)
Boros Charm (Weird gets Double Strike, Weird gets +1/+1)

Attack with 5/5 Double Strike Weird
It hits for 5. Each of the 3 Ciphered Hidden Strings gets cast.
Hidden Strings (Untap both lands, Weird gets +1/+1)
Hidden Strings (Weird gets +1/+1)

Second damage dealing from double strike, it is now 8/8. Hits for 8. Each of the 3 Ciphered Hidden Strings gets cast.

Post-combat, Fling your now 11/11 Weird at your opponent.

5+8+11=24=GG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.