Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Mage Wars looks a cracking game. I have just watched all the videos and put in my order.

It seems VERY similar to an on line strategy game called Pox Nora. Has anyone played both? How is the vibe between the two? Similarity would be a good thing in this situation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both and love both. To me they do have a similar feel. You have a main unit aka Mage or Shrine and you are on a board that you can move freely, and within that board you summon minions and cast spells and there is plenty of customization.

But beyond that Mage Wars goes a lot deeper. Pox Nora is a random draw game and Mage wars is not.

So on the surface, yes there is a similar feel but I would not say that they are identical.

But if you are looking to capture the same feel this will work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks, that's good news.

I wouldn't call Pox Nora exactly random draw, given the reveal options and card management available, but I know what you mean.

I enjoy Longer games of Pox where the battlefield evolves with ebb and flow. Reading the forums for Mage Wars, it seems as though long length is one of the criticisms. I'm hoping that MW will have a good length, say 60-90minutes, with the similar development of tactics within a match. Clearly with the threat of a rush kill. Given that you know both games, does MW give this feel?

PS look at my badges and you'll see that long games are just fine by me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes Mage Wars can absolutely have an ebb and flow feel to it.
There is the threat of a rush if a mage builds their spell book that way.

The game can take a long time to play; 2 or more hours easy. But some people cut it down to the time frame you are hoping for. It depends on how long people take to plan and if there is ebb and flow.

It is nice to see other people out there like myself who does not mind a longer length game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Actually, 2-3 hours is fine by me. I'm used to war gaming which can take 4+, and the occasional Advanced Civilisation, which takes about three weeks ( well twelve hours or so at least!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
It does have a bit of the Pox Nora feel to it, yes. My that was a long time ago...

Early games took about 3 hours. The training decklists lack teeth as well. Now my regular opponent and I bring the bulk of hour games in at 60-90 minutes with the occasional epic ding-dong going a bit longer than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Ding-DONG!

Thinks, Haverhill - Hatfield Heath, not very far at all...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.