Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: If I only start with one game and no expansions, would it be better to get the original or Intrigue? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Butler
United States
White Sands Missile Range
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, depending on how well liked it is, I'd probably end up getting other expansions later, but assuming I start off this way, how would the more experienced players recommend it? Which is a better entry into the series: Dominion, or Dominion Intrigue?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to say 'Dominion' purely to be different from everyone else after me, who will either say 'Intrigue' or moan about this being another which-box-set-should-I-buy thread.

Actually, I DO prefer base Dominion to Intrigue. Intrigue has some really AWKWARD cards to play well...
10 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion is simpler to pick up and learn, and it's attacks are mostly tamer than Intrigues - perfect if you've never/hardly played before, or intend to play with a lot of different people, or your group doesn't enjoy all their plans being constantly blown to smithereens by other players.

Intrigue is a little more complex, and will stay interesting a little longer. It also has nastier attacks and more interaction than the base game - so it's nice if you want more interaction. A better choice if you already know the game a bit, will mostly be playing with the same group, or want games to be more confrontational.

Both are great as base sets though - you probably won't be unhappy with either set.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MarioFanaticXV wrote:
Of course, depending on how well liked it is, I'd probably end up getting other expansions later, but assuming I start off this way, how would the more experienced players recommend it? Which is a better entry into the series: Dominion, or Dominion Intrigue?

Start with Dominion.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't played before, Dominion is the better set with which to start.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Coolen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always test the base set out on http://www.goko.com/games/Dominion
..and if you think those cards are a bit mild for your taste, you can get Intrigue for a wider array of attack cards.
1 
 Thumb up
0.03
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Dominion
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Butler
United States
White Sands Missile Range
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vjaas wrote:
You can always test the base set out on http://www.goko.com/games/Dominion
..and if you think those cards are a bit mild for your taste, you can get Intrigue for a wider array of attack cards.


This is quite addicting... I'd be tempted to just get the digital pack if it had local multiplayer.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Gelven
Australia
Morphett Vale
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO choose the base game firstcool
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When I started out as a Dominion newbie I didn't want any attack card in my set of 10. Somehow when I got attacked I would feel very frustrated. As I am now better at the game, I can tolerate attack cards more.

I would say +1 to base set. It has the basic strategies of this game covered in those 25 kingdom cards.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
I'm going to join the Choir and say Base Dominion.

Intrigue actually has 2 big problems which makes a very poor set to use with beginners.

1. Vicious attacks.

The attack cards in Intrigue are some of the nastiest in the game. Virtually every attack card is either very devastating, very annoying or both (moreso than the other sets).

2. Themed around "choices"
A big theme in Intrigue is the cards giving you choices when they're played. This is great if you understand the game but I once made a huge mistake teaching the game with a lot of cards that gave choices in. Any time anyone played a card we had to wait a minute for them to understand the card and make their choice. Game took well over an hour.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Robinson
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd echo the majority with a + for Dominion ... And because that's what we did and it's done us no harm so far. Then, when your friends or family have played round your place, you have to persuade them that it is indeed Intrigue that they should buy first! Then when the come round to play you combine both sets of kingdom cards for a more expansive evening's fun.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusing Manifestation
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also say yes to Dominion, unless you're planning to introduce the game to more veteran gamers in which case the increased decisions and more damaging attacks in Intrigue could well appeal to them more. Not to mention some more interesting interactions between cards that then lead to more interesting strategies.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Andrikonis
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
I'm going to say 'Dominion' purely to be different from everyone else after me, who will either say 'Intrigue' or moan about this being another which-box-set-should-I-buy thread.


What a surprise. No votes for Intrigue and no moaning at all...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Juliusan wrote:
ousgg wrote:
I'm going to say 'Dominion' purely to be different from everyone else after me, who will either say 'Intrigue' or moan about this being another which-box-set-should-I-buy thread.


What a surprise. No votes for Intrigue and no moaning at all...


Dominion vs Intrigue to a veteran, I think most of us will pick Intrigue as the more interactive and interesting set. However, it is probably not that newbie friendly. Donald X said it himself, he released the expansions in a thoughtful sequence and he will always recommend getting them in the released order. I think Alchemy was the odd ball when he was not ready to let it out but RGG thought otherwise so they released that before the Prosperity release as a small expansion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collis Jeppesen
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I Eat Tables wrote:
Dominion is simpler to pick up and learn, and it's attacks are mostly tamer than Intrigues - perfect if you've never/hardly played before, or intend to play with a lot of different people, or your group doesn't enjoy all their plans being constantly blown to smithereens by other players.

Intrigue is a little more complex...It also has nastier attacks and more interaction than the base game


I dread playing when Conspiritor (edited) Saboteur(attack card from Intrigue) is one of the kingdom cards. New players may get totally turned off Dominion if their first taste is vicious attacks from their opponents trashing their newly acquired cards. One guy I played, bought those relentlessly. Not to win, just for the fun of destroying everybody else's decks. Fortunately, with all the expansions in play and the randomizer deck, it would rarely come out and if it did, would only be played once a night (I set aside the played randomizer cards after each game to make sure we always have new cards in play each game).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smilin' Stan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Collis68 wrote:
I Eat Tables wrote:
Dominion is simpler to pick up and learn, and it's attacks are mostly tamer than Intrigues - perfect if you've never/hardly played before, or intend to play with a lot of different people, or your group doesn't enjoy all their plans being constantly blown to smithereens by other players.

Intrigue is a little more complex...It also has nastier attacks and more interaction than the base game


I dread playing when Conspiritor (attack card from Intrigue) is one of the kingdom cards. New players may get totally turned off Dominion if their first taste is vicious attacks from their opponents trashing their newly acquired cards. One guy I played, bought those relentlessly. Not to win, just for the fun of destroying everybody else's decks. Fortunately, with all the expansions in play and the randomizer deck, it would rarely come out and if it did, would only be played once a night (I set aside the played randomizer cards after each game to make sure we always have new cards in play each game).


Saboteur?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Lampinen
Finland
Espoo
none
flag msg tools
(and a hermit)
badge
Fan of FUN games!
Avatar
mbmbmb
Dominion without expansions is kind of dull, but I guess base game is better for beginners as others have said. Intrigue adds some excitement, but you'll appreciate that more when you've played the base set couple of times.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smilin' Stan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is quite interesting. I was all set to get Intrigue as my first expansion but the talk of vicious attacks make me think Seaside might be better. (I think I would like them but my gaming group is family and friends, including children, so nastiness is less popular.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collis Jeppesen
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chardir wrote:
Collis68 wrote:
I Eat Tables wrote:
Dominion is simpler to pick up and learn, and it's attacks are mostly tamer than Intrigues - perfect if you've never/hardly played before, or intend to play with a lot of different people, or your group doesn't enjoy all their plans being constantly blown to smithereens by other players.

Intrigue is a little more complex...It also has nastier attacks and more interaction than the base game


I dread playing when Conspiritor (attack card from Intrigue) is one of the kingdom cards. New players may get totally turned off Dominion if their first taste is vicious attacks from their opponents trashing their newly acquired cards. One guy I played, bought those relentlessly. Not to win, just for the fun of destroying everybody else's decks. Fortunately, with all the expansions in play and the randomizer deck, it would rarely come out and if it did, would only be played once a night (I set aside the played randomizer cards after each game to make sure we always have new cards in play each game).


Saboteur?


Your are correct sir. I edited my post to show the correct card name now. I must really hate that card for me to blank out the name like that.......
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In one game I have had saboteur, swindler, and ambassador in the kingdom when I was a newbie to this game. I was frustrated and not very happy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first Dominion game we played and purchased was Intrigue and loved it. After that we started buying the expansions and when there was nothing left to buy, we went for the base set Dominion.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Khonnor wrote:
Our first Dominion game we played and purchased was Intrigue and loved it. After that we started buying the expansions and when there was nothing left to buy, we went for the base set Dominion.


Glad to know you went the other way around and still find Dominion enjoyable and fun! laugh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Horner
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote would also be for Dominion, but also seriously consider getting the "Big Box." For about 50% more you get 2 expansions, a play mat and a couple promo cards. Great value.

I was introduced to the game with Intrigue (not my copy). Since I knew I liked the game, I was given both the Big Box and plus Seaside for Christmas. I can certainly see how Dominion would be much easier for someone who has never played but am glad to have the expansions.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
roger1818 wrote:
My vote would also be for Dominion, but also seriously consider getting the "Big Box." For about 50% more you get 2 expansions, a play mat and a couple promo cards. Great value.

I was introduced to the game with Intrigue (not my copy). Since I knew I liked the game, I was given both the Big Box and plus Seaside for Christmas. I can certainly see how Dominion would be much easier for someone who has never played but am glad to have the expansions.


This. It is not until I have 3 expansions of Dominion that I have found out the hard way. I could have saved some money.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.