Subject: Design Questions to Alan E., if monitoring... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Falling
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Alan,

I really am enjoying the 3.1 rules and play aids for AHD. Nice work. I know it has been several years, but I had a couple of questions about "your baby"

* Any thoughts about the timing of when recruitment cities are "captured"? In the old days we played that control didn't convert until the end of a player's turn. So, you could not recruit in a city just moved into this turn, but instead needed to wait until the next recruitment segment. As I understand the 3.1 rules, the control converts at the end of the combat segment, then allowing recruitment right away in the following recruitment.

* On the moral table for routing and desertion, why did you switch from modifying the die roll to modifying the morale value? It seemed easier before to be looking at a fixed reference and then modifying the die roll vs. getting a fixed die roll and modifying the morale value of carack, veteran, and militia. I almost went back to the original way, but I don't want to confuse new players.

* Just to confirm, are you still comfortable that the New York City space is worth 3 army maximum value? I know that the Phalanx and Mayfiar maps label it a "4", but I don't like the change that would make to the 34 Union Army Max size, etc. It is clean in the system when both sides have a maximum of 36.

* I have some confusion on leaders redeployment (E.5). When a redeployed freindly leader is reloacted at the end of the next player turn, does that mean the next freindly player turn, or the next (meaning enemy) player turn? The Leaders Alone rule (E.4) clarifies as the placing back onto the board at the end of their owner's player turn (friendly).

* Capture of Washington (F.1) I am taking it that if the CSA captures Washington, then no naval invasions are possible since those must originate from Washington. Is it your intent that if Washington is CSA controlled, that invasions could originate from another Union port? (I guess, tough luck to the Union - if you want to invade, then take back Washington!)

Thanks!

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid that it's been a LONG time...

* Any thoughts about the timing of when recruitment cities are "captured"? In the old days we played that control didn't convert until the end of a player's turn. So, you could not recruit in a city just moved into this turn, but instead needed to wait until the next recruitment segment. As I understand the 3.1 rules, the control converts at the end of the combat segment, then allowing recruitment right away in the following recruitment.

I believe that's correct. Honestly, we playtested it so that it worked that way for the UNION and the old way (wait 1 turn) for the Confederates, which is probably more historically accurate, but decided to go all 1 way -- the Untion's way.

* On the moral table for routing and desertion, why did you switch from modifying the die roll to modifying the morale value? It seemed easier before to be looking at a fixed reference and then modifying the die roll vs. getting a fixed die roll and modifying the morale value of carack, veteran, and militia. I almost went back to the original way, but I don't want to confuse new players.

Well, they'll both get you there. I just prefer to think of it as modifying the UNIT, but either way works.

* Just to confirm, are you still comfortable that the New York City space is worth 3 army maximum value? I know that the Phalanx and Mayfiar maps label it a "4", but I don't like the change that would make to the 34 Union Army Max size, etc. It is clean in the system when both sides have a maximum of 36.

I'm not, but I was not consulted about that. I like 36 for each side.

* I have some confusion on leaders redeployment (E.5). When a redeployed freindly leader is reloacted at the end of the next player turn, does that mean the next freindly player turn, or the next (meaning enemy) player turn? The Leaders Alone rule (E.4) clarifies as the placing back onto the board at the end of their owner's player turn (friendly).

I totally can't help you there. I don't remember that at all. Sorry.

* Capture of Washington (F.1) I am taking it that if the CSA captures Washington, then no naval invasions are possible since those must originate from Washington.

Correct.

Is it your intent that if Washington is CSA controlled, that invasions could originate from another Union port? (I guess, tough luck to the Union - if you want to invade, then take back Washington!)

It's tough luck time. :-)

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Falling
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Thanks Alan! I have a new gaming buddy getting hooked on AHD and it great to have your rules set and battle boards ,etc.

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought if the CSA captured Washington the game was instantly over...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Aubert
France
TOULON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msgt pepe wrote:
I thought if the CSA captured Washington the game was instantly over...

If you're using living advanced rules 3.1, it's not an automatic win :

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.