Subject: Euphrate & Tigris vs. Reef Encounter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
phil v
United States
Richmond (North of Berkeley)
California
flag msg tools
OK, so I have some friends over to play RE. Conversation arises comparing it to E&T. Partly for argument's sake, partly out of conviction, I argue that they don't have *that* much in common. I'm interested in some thoughts. Here's mine:

Similarities:
-------------
Tiles
Scoring increased with qty. of tiles

Differences:
------------
No tile # limit
'Ownership'
Scoring
Attacking
RE favors players that push for quick game
Tiles in E&T go out of play
Catastrophic events vs. holes in reef
E&T has perfect scoring knowledge

Anyhoo, I love RE and recommend that those who are afraid of game redundancy try it out on spielbyweb.com.

Phil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, these games are not that similar. I think the comparison has been drawn for two reasons, one obvious and one not as obvious.

The obvious reason is that they both involve placement of tiles on a square grid, with the placement of player figures on or adjacent to connected groups of them to denote ownership.

The not so obvious reason (but perhaps more relevant) is that they are both inherently games about conflict, which is uncommon in Euro-games. In a genre that characterizes itself as being inherently lacking in direct confrontation, these two games stick out like a fly in milk.

I would certainly never claim that there existed any type of redundancy between these games, i.e. that owning one made owning the other an obselete affair. I think they both have a very different feel, despite their similarities listed above. Their main difference for me is that Tigris has more complexity occurring on the board while in Reef Encounter the complexity comes to a great extent from the alternate board, which contains the relationship tiles and the cubes and coral tiles available to players at the end of their turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both. It is easier to bring Reef Encounter to the table versus E&T. Those in my group who plays boardgames like the theme of reef encounter versus a wargame as they feel E&T is. I can see plenty of similarities between the two in the way tiles affect gameplay, but in different ways. RE takes over tiles in an "attack". E&T doesn't have change of power from removing tiles, but from a different attack method (influence). I can see plenty who might see the same gameplay because of the tiles placement, but for me, it has an entire set of mind in playing the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.