Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is it with you guys and eurogames? I've played so many of them and I find that they have an over-abundance of pieces that could often be replaced by just more sheets of paper and pencil notation.

Eclipse is rated really highly, and the GMT games like Conquest of Paradise and Space Empires 4X are rated much lower. I want to know why this is have most of you just never played them? Is there some dislike for these games?

Also are there more 4x games than the list indicates that just never were added in or is the list as small as it appears?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry about ratings. Play what you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
btw,

I learned the best trick with these games most people might already be aware but,

TWEEZERS

lol

You just can't play a game like this without them

Now you will have less headaches for anyone who has never played these games. First time I tried one of these games the person who brought had no tweezers. And.. yeah it was awkward.

// Any other tips with how to play with fiddly bits?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rodrick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazingly enough, the "community here" doesn't really have anything "for" or "against" any kind of games. Individuals in the community may have their biases but "the Community here" is an amazingly accepting place with gamers of nearly every ilk represented.

Don't see what you like? Post it. There seems to always be room for more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blank Francis
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe games that are so fiddly that they require tweezers to play effectively are not going to have a lot of mainstream appeal. Just a thought.

I think you'll find that the titles you've named are very well regarded by those who have the time and patience for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many very cool genres were under-represented until recently. The success of many Fantasy Flight products as well as the wave of recent Kickstarter campaigns as given niche genres a very recent upsurge, and we find ourselves, for the first time in a long while, with some very interesting choices for zombie games, space games, and even 4x games.

As far as I know, the creme of the crop when it comes to space 4x games (my personal favorite type of 4x game) is Twilight Imperium (Third Edition), Eclipse, Empires of the Void, and possibly Hegemonic.

Twilight Imperium is big 4x killer though. Every time I pitch a space game or a 4x game to my group, such as Galactic Emperor, I get responses like "Why don't we just play Twilight Imperium instead?" Because I don't want to spend 8 hours losing one game!

Eclipse, I think, is largely popular because it doesn't compete with Twilight Imperium. Meanwhile, it specializes in aspects that Twilight Imperium does not touch (such as ship customization) and tries to use simpler streamlined mechanics to give a shorter game.

Due to Kicstarter, however, two more games are being introduced into the popularity of the general community. I know nothing about them, but they seem to be rising in popularity. They are Empires of the Void and Hegemonic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
Because I don't want to spend 8 hours losing one game!

Ah, fair criticism. Might I suggest... winning? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I LOVE 4x games... though I am an archaic one loving Twilight Imperium, I have room in my heart for all 4x games... plenty of room... must find friends who also like 4x games.... cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with 4x game, there are not enough of them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the last X might be the reason eurogamers don't like to play them: eXtra-long. Seriously, player elimination is a downer with a longer game, when a typical eurogame gives you hope of winning till the end (if designed accordingly).

Most publishers don't sell enough of them to make them cost efficient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hovercraft wrote:
btw,

I learned the best trick with these games most people might already be aware but,

TWEEZERS

Hmmm, that would not have occurred to me. Eclipse was one of the first games I bought, was very new to the hobby, it was on a top list. Tried to set it up once and play, too fiddley. I'll get back to it one day, for now, there are more fun games to play with friends.

About the supposed bias against these sort of games, I've seen no evidence of that in the short time I've been here. I would say its not THE most popular genre here, but its well represented I think.

One day I will have a look for a more accessible game in this style, no hurry, lots of games to get thru first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Coddington
United States
Woodbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rrodrick wrote:
Amazingly enough, the "community here" doesn't really have anything "for" or "against" any kind of games. Individuals in the community may have their biases but "the Community here" is an amazingly accepting place with gamers of nearly every ilk represented.

+1

This has been my experience with this fantastic community over the last 6 years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I don't find any of the four Xs interesting by themselves, let alone in combination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse and Twilight Imperium are super popular and highly rated games. I totally understand why.. but they're also very large to get to the table, and expensive.

It seems like a kind of game people like a lot, and I was under the impression that these games were made from former classics from like the 80s I guess I don't understand the story on these games

They largely came from PC games? but I don't understand where the popularity comes from

I was under the impression that Conquest of Paradise and Space Empires and GMT had the prestige with these kinds of game but this doesn't seem to be the case

Where is the popularity coming from ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The term comes from computer games, but not the popularity.

Seriously, Twilight Imperium is a damn fine game. That's why its popular. It has robust but fairly streamlined rules (all things considered) for trade, fleet movement, combat, and politics. Very few games have rules for politics like Twilight has.

The whole game has a "cold war" feel where everyone feels they need every military advantage they can get, but nobody wants to attack for fear of annihilating reprisal. Everything, EVERYTHING, stands on a tense razor's edge as all players maneuver for advantage in each area of the game but nobody really uses that advantage for fear of leaving themselves open. All the while, minor territorial skirmishes become frequently common even while we work desperately to avoid a costly war.

There are many races in the game, and each race plays very differently and has its own background story. Due to the all the different things you can do, and different ways there are to win the game, and the sheer length of the game and the amount of stuff going on, the entire game feels like its telling a story -- a lively, epic story with races we start to empathize with because we can recognize their archetypes from various sources in science fiction literature.

It's not popular because of its theme, so much as because that particular theme demands a lot. It demands that while we play, we be reminded of the great history of all space opera that came before in literature, TV, and games. And we want it to include everything - races, politics, economy, territory, technology, spice, evolution, wormholes, hyperspace, evolved humans, psychics, everything! So a game that claims to actually meet that demand is worthy of exceptional notice... and scrutiny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have to express utmost concern at the level of thought shown in this thread. Not only we deny accusations, the notion of "4x games", "eurogames" and other concepts is completely alien to our knowledge. As we don't know they exist, we have nothing against them, we just go with The Flow. Stop resisting, join The Flow. It's warm and safe.

Yours truly
The geekherding committee.

------------------------------------------
"To herd is good, to think is baaaaad".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like 3 of the 4 X's, if that counts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
I really like 3 of the 4 X's, if that counts

Exploring is really tough in a board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under every pile of leaves a
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
I don't find any of the four Xs interesting by themselves, let alone in combination.

Don't the Xs in 18XX stand for Xpand (your track network) and Xploit (the stock market)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hovercraft wrote:
btw,

TWEEZERS - and non-drowsy antihistamine

FTFY.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Would
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not know what a 4x game is which makes it hard for me to be biased against them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
rrodrick wrote:

Don't see what you like? Post it. There seems to always be room for more!

While always accepting, the near fever pitch that erupts when anything from Stefan Feld gets released, almost drowns-out everything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin518 wrote:
The problem with 4x game, there are not enough of them...

How many X's do you need?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is a 4X game one where you drink crappy Australian lager before, during, and after playing it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Austin
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sorry, you've lost me. what the hell is a 4x game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.