Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B Bell
United States
Allentown
PA - Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have a lot of board games, and before Gencon and a planned move roll around this year I have decided I need to get rid of a few. I am having trouble, as all lovers of games do, decide what goes and stays.

So basically what I am asking here is, take a look at my collection and make some suggestions. Perhaps I have to many of one particular type of game, or just some that aren't any good. Just give me some thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevyn Hey
United States
Alfred
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have a lot of games that you haven't rated. Maybe take a look at those games and see how you feel about them. You also have some games that you rate at 3, 4, or 5. Maybe those games should be up for consideration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Bell
United States
Allentown
PA - Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must admit, I am super lazy on the ratings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You do seem to have a lot of deckbuilders. You might want to start thinning there.

I could be super helpful and make you a short list of(non deckbuilders) you could thin out by packing them neatly in boxes and sending them to a certain address >.>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Bell
United States
Allentown
PA - Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL. I do have a soft spot for the deck building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, deck builders need to go. And you can donate Crocodile Pool Party to Tom Vasel.

Honestly, I would recommend looking over your collection and finding which games you haven't played in quite a while, and asking why. Is there no one to play it with? Does it take too much time commitment to play? Is there a similar game that always gets chosen over it? Does it just look pretty on the shelf, but isn't actually fun to play?

Those are the games I would give serious consideration to letting go of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
If you need to get rid of games in order to make room, there are perhaps other solutions. If you manage to pack Dominion and all its supplements in one box, you can save a lot of space. The same goes for other games with supplements.

There are some obvious choices. You have both Chrononauts and Back to the Future, and state that the BttF sauce makes the latter more fun. You rate Apples to Apples a 5, and it seems that you are only keeping it because it was a good thrift store deal.

For the rest, look at the games you haven't played in the last six months and consider how likely it is that you'll play them in the coming year. If it's likely that you won't, out they go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
Put all of your games upside down on the shelf.

When you have played it put it back the right way up. After X many months, 3 for example, you have a short list of games you don't play (everything thats still upside down) very often and therefore should be considered for thinning.

Hope that helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Bell
United States
Allentown
PA - Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apples to Apples is on the list. It sees very little play. Crocodile Pool party is so terrible it is fun from time to time. As far as Chrononauts and Back to the Future, not a huge deal for me since they take up so little space in my giant box of little games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Tell me if this game is any good" is often not a good way to do this. I can say over the years there have been several "top" games that I pretty much hated with a passion, and many "mediocre" games that I've quite enjoyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can cut about 30%+ of your collection in one fell swoop:

Get rid of any game you have rated a 7 or lower.

7 is considered good on the BGG rating scale, but ask yourself this: When are you ever going to want to play a 7 over an 8/9/10? Especially longer/heavier 7's? Then it might be worth looking at games you rated an 8, and see if there are any titles in that category you might want to get rid of as well.

And on a related note, try to test out all un-rated games and give them a rating. If you don't want to even play a game to see what rating you'd give it, that's indicative that title should be culled as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf
Switzerland
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you finally have decided to get rid of some games, really get rid of them. Don't auction them off with a reserve, be happy with whatever you make with them. Most of the games won't find a buyer here anyway because BGG so just give them to a library/school/youth club.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice: Go to your collection on BGG, set the filter for 'played' to 'no' and add the column 'date added'. Sort your collection by that column from lowest to highest.

If you really haven't played those games on the top in the 1,5 years since you added them... maybe their time has come.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep: Arkham Horror, Legendary, Relic, X-Wing cool .

Toss: Rest.

Yes, tough love devil .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about decide the number you want to keep. Physically put them all in a big pile and start choosing games to keep. What you have left are the games lower down on your like list.

Could get a little more refined with the above method and group things by type ie deckbuilders and also set limits for amount kept.

I've never done the above before but I suspect sometime in my future it will become a reality due to storage limits...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our tastes don't line up, so, no suggestions about specific games from me.

But here is what I do with books and CDs, when I can't decide how much to slim my collection down:

- Go through and pull out the things I definitely don't want. If there are zero, maybe it's not time to cull. Usually, there's at least one thing that's like, "Why do I even still have this? Yuck! I'm so glad it's about to be gone!"

- While doing that first pass, I will see a lot of things that make me think "I don't love this... but do I really want to get rid of it? I'm not going to just pitch everything but my top ten. Maybe I want to keep it." That is okay. Those things stay on the shelf for the first pass.

- Now, do a second pass. Usually, a batch will jump out as being all kind of tied for last place-- I'm not positive I want to get rid of thing X, but I'm tempted in exactly the same way I'm tempted to get rid of Y, Z and Q. It's much easier to say "does this feel about the same as the other stuff in the current pile?" than to say "do I want to keep this one thing?"

- Stare at the pile. Stare at the shelf. Does the collection make me happier with those gone? If so, stack them with the definite junk and find the NEW tied-for-last-place batch; repeat. If not, put them back and bring the definite junk to Goodwill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bretteroo wrote:
I must admit, I am super lazy on the ratings.

You could say the same for how you decide what games to clean out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.