Alhambra» Forums » Rules

Subject: What is the black counter for? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
LNXlady
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any mention of it in the rules or the parts list. I found a post here where someone else was asking about it but didn't mention it in their original post so the question didn't get much attention. Do all the new editions come with it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I assume that you have the Big Box? If not, then I'm not sure why the counters were included in your game.

Black counters are used with 3 out of the 4 modules in the fifth expansion (The Art of the Moors, the Power of the Sultan, and the Caravanserai). They're not listed in the parts list at the beginning of the instruction booklet because all of the parts that go with the expansions are listed under the directions for each module.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LNXlady
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dannyflanny wrote:
I assume that you have the Big Box? If not, then I'm not sure why the counters were included in your game.

No, I don't have the big box and I don't have any of the expansions. Just the regular, newer box. The single black token is the only part not explained in the instructions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse G
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That pcs was missing from my alhambra family box... after 4 months, queen sent one to me!

I dont know all your details, but in the family box the board has a side for alhambra and on the opposite is the "Granada" board. The granada board has a pentagon and a square next to the card " currency" area, the marker goes there and switches back and forth to let all the players know the odd or even side of the structure tiles are showing.

if you have the granada board this is what is for...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LNXlady
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orange_Chef wrote:
That pcs was missing from my alhambra family box... after 4 months, queen sent one to me!

I dont know all your details, but in the family box the board has a side for alhambra and on the opposite is the "Granada" board. The granada board has a pentagon and a square next to the card " currency" area, the marker goes there and switches back and forth to let all the players know the odd or even side of the structure tiles are showing.

if you have the granada board this is what is for...

Hmm, that sounds interesting, but I don't have the granada board. My board is just a small board with the 4 coins on it that is solid red on the back. I don't have the family box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ted anderson
United States
southington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same version you have. It's a basic version, produced after 2011 (I believe). Mine also came with a black counter. I assumed it was just a factory error.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LNXlady
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moremonkeys138 wrote:
I have the same version you have. It's a basic version, produced after 2011 (I believe). Mine also came with a black counter. I assumed it was just a factory error.

I guess maybe they all went out with one, then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played this game in a while, but something to do with the 2 Player (Klaus) variant, perhaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LNXlady
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holmes108 wrote:
Haven't played this game in a while, but something to do with the 2 Player (Klaus) variant, perhaps?

I haven't played the 2pl variant but I did read over the instructions for it (which is why I haven't played it) and didn't see any mention of the black token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We use ours for 2p to keep track of Dirk's score. Since he doesn't have a fountain, just a running score, he doesn't need the pair of matched tokens that non-robot players use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LNXlady
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verdigris97 wrote:
We use ours for 2p to keep track of Dirk's score. Since he doesn't have a fountain, just a running score, he doesn't need the pair of matched tokens that non-robot players use.

Oh, then maybe that is what it's for, even if it doesn't mention it. I don't like 2pl games that use a dummy player so I haven't tried the 2pl version. I was hoping this would be a good 2pl game and didn't realize it used a dummy player, since I ordered it. Especially since our usual third doesn't care for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a bad 2p game at all. I was skeptical, but it ended up being pretty fun, and not an automatic loss for the robot. In addition, the robot hardly needs any maintenance at all except for scoring, since it doesn't need to build an Alhambra. It ends up feeling less like 3p and much more like 2p with an extra option (and more danger).

You can play parallel to Dirk if you want, but the interesting thing about 2p is that you can buy buildings and give them to Dirk, getting him to edge out your opponent in the colors that won't help you directly (but also letting him get more total points).

This becomes particularly interesting when you can pay exact change for a building color that won't help you... not only can you steal it from your opponent, but if Dirk can make better use of it then you get a double whammy, and you get another action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it is pretty much an automatic loss for the robot, he can't score walls! But I do think this is about the best ghost player mechanism I've seen. The uncertainty of a third "opponent" taking tiles keeps it from being too predictable
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stenefflafski
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont't know about you but sometimes if I know I am going to lose I feed Dirk every tile I can. I mean if I can't win I am sure as heck not going to let my wife feel the sweet sweet feeling of success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.