12 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Mynocks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Lutovsky
msg tools
mbmbmbmb

So I have two Mynock pieces from the Star Wars Miniatures game and I thought it would be fun to have Mynocks in X-Wing.

I have been considering two different ways to implement them.

Version 1: Mynocks, Chewin' on the Maneuver Dials...

Decide either all asteroids, or a specified number of them, are infested with mynocks.

If a ship ends its movement overlapping an asteroid it must, in addition the the red die it would normally roll, roll a green die. On a blank result it is considered 'mynocked' for lack of a better term.

During the next planning phase, assign this ship a maneuver at RANDOM. When the maneuver is revealed, take your turn as normal using that move. If it is red and you already have a stress, simply take a 3 forward move.

This could potentially lead to you flying off the map which might really suck. :\ But it would be hilarious.

Version 2: Transferring Mynocks

If you pass through or end your move on an asteroid you are automatically Mynocked! (Or maybe you are mynocked on a roll of a blank as in Version 1...)

During your action step roll a green die. On a [Focus] result lose one shield. If you have no shields reduce your agility by 1 to a minimum of zero.

If you bump into another ship, the mynocks are transferred from your ship to that one. (Or maybe they just spread like plague! muwahahaha)

Which version do you like better?

Any suggestions to changes to those rules?

I haven't tried them yet but I thought it would be a silly addition to have either a transferable "disease" of sorts, or to have to take random maneuvers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Fuentes
United States
Hialeah
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny variant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lutovsky
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fremen wrote:
Funny variant

I think so. I'm hoping to try it out soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZOMG -- Cuuuuute =^,^=

Maybe split the difference on the rules? Roll a red die, on a hit lose a shield/agility, on a crit move the dial one step to either side (your choice).

Hmm, must look for 6mm-10mm critters to use for these!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udo W
Germany
flag msg tools
Are there any other miniatures for space monsters available? Should be close to the right scale of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davyd A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
While I see the appeal of the "disease", I think you need two things:

-a way to get rid of them. Or is this meant to be one turn only? That's not so bad.

-A "safety net." Having this as a thing that can disrupt your plan and force you to scramble to compensate is fun. Having this cost you a ship because it randomly flew off the map? Not so fun. So I'd say that flying of the map gives you a stress and/or damage, and then place the ship facing back in the map, right at the edge, in the place where it went off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Cocquyt
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmb
This would make a fun scenario.

2 sets of asteroids for 12 total. Take a second damage deck, take out 6 Direct Hit! cards and 6 other cards. Shuffle them and put them facedown on or under the asteroids. When you hit an asteroid, flip over the card. On a Direct Hit! card you ran into mynocks and you're assigned a random maneuver for the next round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lutovsky
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jaravak wrote:
This would make a fun scenario.

2 sets of asteroids for 12 total. Take a second damage deck, take out 6 Direct Hit! cards and 6 other cards. Shuffle them and put them facedown on or under the asteroids. When you hit an asteroid, flip over the card. On a Direct Hit! card you ran into mynocks and you're assigned a random maneuver for the next round.

I like this. There are so many options to making Mynocks fun.

I feel they should be more of a silly addition than a competitive one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueLieutenant wrote:
[q="Jaravak"]

I feel they should be more of a silly addition than a competitive one.

Hmm, you'd need to make a spinner then for the random maneuver selection ^,^

You could just draw Mynocks on one side of a set of asteroids and keep that side face down.

I still want to have little models that can be put on the base of the ship. Somewhere around here with my 15mm fantasy figures, I'm pretty sure I have a pack of Splintered Light's Bat Swarm, and I can filch some of those bats and add some green putty...

http://www.splinteredlightminis.com/batswarm.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Witthaus
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here's my take on mynocks.

Little surprise for my group devil

Reference card:

Token:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Knight
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice. Definitely going to use this on my next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Good
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
This looks good fun, may have to try this in my next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.