Subject: Anybody audit their games? What's done, and how frequently? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently noticed that I'm missing a Galactica damage token for Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game. After a bit of searching I don't think it'll turn up, so I'll need to contact Fantasy Flight games for a replacement. I'll likely ask for a full set of 8 of them, as I've played my copy alot that a new one will stand out from the other 7 that have very noticabel wear and scuff marks on them. For the time being, I'm rolling a d8, and if '8' wasn't rolled, then we can draw from teh remaining pile of 7 damage tokens

I recently noticed that 3 locomotive/wild train cards from Ticket to Ride: USA 1910 were at the bottom of my bag. I recently let someone use my copy of that for Ticket To Ride wow... hope no1 complained too much about the lack of wilds!

I've seen some people take a quick look around the floor with a flashlight before leaving a public venue, but aren't as paranoid if it's at a private residence since any missing pieces are likely to be found and tucked into a lost and found for later retrieval.

You folks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not 100% systematic about it, but if someone else has played one of my games in a public place, I try to remember to go through and make sure that everything is present.

What's embarrassing on the audit front for me is taking a game to game night and leaving it there. I guess I really should have a checklist of all the games I take along so I don't make that mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read a story about someone here on bgg being worried they might have lost a piece, so went through and counted them all. Turns out they were all there. Later they found a piece on the floor that had been left out during the checking!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cara Moses
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If playing somewhere other than my home, I count pieces before I leave. I know this can be tedious and may look neurotic to some, but I really don't care. I have spent far too much money on games to risk losing pieces.

I also usually count games the first time out of the box, even with new in shrink games. Just last night I found that my brand new copy of Fresco is missing 2 blue cubes. (Replacements have been requested.)

After playing at home, I always do a quick look around to make sure nothing got dropped. I usually don't count pieces after every play, but I reserve the right to do so with games I really love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I host a lot. The next morning I do a thorough inspection beneath the table, and occasionally find a bit which goes into a special bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I occasionally audit my game shelf to see if I still have all my games, or if I have any that I forgot about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do a once over to check for condition and issues with the box upon receiving a new game which I then record +(game title: condition). + is sort of just to make it appear to be a bulleted list or something. - might mean that it bothers me some. If I have another copy of a game that I love (loved games are more likely to bother me condition wise if the condition is not perfect), that is perfect, I view the damaged box backup as a + whereas it would have been a - if I did not have a "great" condition copy.

If I or my wife spend the time to count it. I might put +(counted and complete).

I record version information when I can. Some I am behind on.

I go over the shelves sometimes to make sure that there aren't any that my wife hasn't lined up perfectly. It bothers me when they are slightly off due to handling. All boxes should be exactly lined up, so that the front appears flat.

I wouldn't be okay with taking my games to a game group situation. Any game group situation. I couldn't take people handling say the money in Power Grid, or well I am absolutely crazy about Suburbia and Innovation and no I will not let anyone play or touch them other than my wife. They are my treasures. There you go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a green cube on my shelf waiting to be reunited with its game... What game I have no clue!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A closeup pic of the mentioned cube would help someone ID it ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If i take a game outside of my home. I perform a bitcheck around the tabe and floor, then i inventory the game before i leave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I'm playing, I'll do a quick table/floor check as I'm packing up to make sure I didn't leave anything behind.

The only time I specifically inventory a game's contents to make sure everything is there is either when I'm trading a game to someone or I just got a game from someone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
The only time I specifically inventory a game's contents to make sure everything is there is either when I'm trading a game to someone or I just got a game from someone.

Yes, I definitely inventory when I first get a game or when I am trading or selling one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do a walk around the table, scanning the floor and the playing surface for overlooked pieces after I pack a game away. If I'm playing in an area with low light level, I'll use my phone's flashlight app (very handy app!).

And of course, I always inventory a game before I trade or list it for sale and when I receive a game (via sale or trade).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
Giant Fire Breathing Robot
badge
gfbrobot.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
When I'm playing, I'll do a quick table/floor check as I'm packing up to make sure I didn't leave anything behind.

This is my practice almost exactly. I'll do a full inventory component count when I receive a new game (either new or in trade). And I'll do a full inventory when I put game of mine up for trade.

Other than that, I generally only do a quick scan over the table and player areas to see if anything was omitted. Although, with some games and limited pieces I'll count them. For example, in Resistance when the game is over and it's time to pass the cards in, I always count the cards as they come in to make sure it matches the number of players. It's quite common for a player to put a card on the floor or in their pocket and forget it at game end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I started doing recently is inventorying components of NEW games I buy. You never know, and I found that my copy of Kingdom Builder was missing 1 black house (I contacted Queen and they promised a replacement but it's been weeks and no sign of it yet...).

It would be terrible to not realize something is missing until the game's long out of print or the publisher is gone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can honestly say I almost never do this. While volunteering at cons, I've gone through games to certify they are 100% complete and can be used in tournament play, but it takes time, and I can never see myself doing it for my personal collection.

As most, I might double check a component or two when I am setting up or packing away a game, and only if I had a hunch that something might be missing. Time is too precious, and ignorance is bliss. If something wound up missing and affecting a game, that would be very unfortunate, but the odds are too low to warrant a collection inspection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sure, once in a while. I find it relaxing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
rhianna_ wrote:
I've got a green cube on my shelf waiting to be reunited with its game... What game I have no clue!

What size and make? King of Tokyo or Ingenious?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boss Beau Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do it after "kid guests" have been in a game. I am rather selective about which games I let them have access to, to begin with. Other than that, I usually like to look over a play area, just to make sure no pieces were dropped and that everything is put away. Missing pieces really irk me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan T
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I audit the pieces after each game if the quantity of those pieces is critical to the gameplay, if there are few enough pieces that counting is easy, or if my kids were either playing or near the game while we were playing. We also check the quantity of pieces whenever we open a new game just in case anything is missing. We were missing pieces from Agricola when we bought it (all the blue stables and two red fences), but Z-Man made good and sent replacements.

I always am looking for lost pieces, but I never thought to look for extras. I bought Carcassonne over ten years ago. I didn't check the pieces when I bought it, and I only really audited it for the first time when I taught our eldest son how to play it a month ago. It turns out we have an extra red meeple. So for the last ten years, anyone playing red with our game had a small advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.