Subject: Recommend similar games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Shipyard is decidedly not a worker placement game, but a multiple-player-puzzle game with shared action selection. Take a look at Feld's games Die Burgen von Burgund, Trajan, and if I understand correctly, Bora Bora. Although differing in many different ways, these titles have a number of important characteristics in common with Shipyard.

Alternatively, 20th Century may be worth checking out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like the rondel mechanism try look at games by the guy who invented it Mac Gerdts.
The Princes of Machu Picchu is probably my favorite although Navegador is also good. Imperial is highly rated here although not one of my favorites
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
kevinmcgillivray wrote:
Someone might want to tell BGG that since it's classified as one. I think I get your point tho. Thanks.

The classification of a game as a 'worker placement' game is fraught with difficulty, since many people assume that if you place just a single pawn on an action, it already belongs in this category. That's not the case: worker placement is quite a specific case of action selection... and Shipyard does not meet its requirements.

Hence my suggestions which emphasise puzzling out an optimum configuration with the constraints of a shared set of resources: that, to me, is what Shipyard is about. And that it features a rather nasty form of action selection and various rondels... That's just a means to force the players to deal with the shared set of resources meeple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Fans of shipyard looking for something similar need to seriously look at Gear & Piston!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Fans of shipyard looking for something similar need to seriously look at Gear & Piston!

Can you tell us why you think it's similar and how it is different? You've definitely piqued my interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I've done a runthrough video for it demonstrating how it works (and I talk about the Shipyard connection there too), but basically G&P is a light (almost gateway light) version of Shipyard, IMO.

Players are building victorian era cars instead of ships. Worker placement is used instead of rondels to collect the parts needed. Instead of everyone having their own secret scoring goals, there's one public common goal that directs the building so there's competition to get the best matching parts. You can construct the left and right side separately and eventually join the vehicle together when the time is right.

Shipyard is 100x more complex - so imagine the gateway version of Shipyard with cars, and you've got G&P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.