Popular Tags: [View All]
Jighm Brown
United States
Rossville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a couple of posts on here that seem to start out asking what is considered to be "in play," but they quickly change to answers about what's considered to be "in Arkham." There are Mythos cards which direct you to remove certain monsters that are "in play." Are monsters in the Outskirts considered to be "in play?" To me, "in play" means "on the board, in front of players, etc." Each post that I can find in my search for this answer always turns out debating what is in Arkham and what is not. I think that "in play" is different than "in Arkham." Is there a definitive answer to this? (Outskirts = "in play")

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the outskirts do qualify as being in play, but not "in Arkham".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Deignan
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jighm wrote:
There are a couple of posts on here that seem to start out asking what is considered to be "in play," but they quickly change to answers about what's considered to be "in Arkham." There are Mythos cards which direct you to remove certain monsters that are "in play." Are monsters in the Outskirts considered to be "in play?" To me, "in play" means "on the board, in front of players, etc." Each post that I can find in my search for this answer always turns out debating what is in Arkham and what is not. I think that "in play" is different than "in Arkham." Is there a definitive answer to this? (Outskirts = "in play")

Thanks.

As the rules indicate that when closing a gate, monsters matching the gate's symbol in all areas including the outskirts are returned to the monster cup, I would say that this is returning all the monsters "in play" to the cup. That is different that "in Arkham" which is defined as being in a stable, unstable, or street location in Arkham, Dunwich, Innsmouth, or Kingsport, or in the sky.

The outskirts are not "in Arkham" but they are definitely "in play" as they have an effect on the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvils Feldmanis
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Outskirt monsters, as stated on rules, are in play.

I think it is meant to be like this - There are soo many monsters roaming the city, that they wander out of Arkham city borders.

Or they are so sneaky (shogoth laugh) that they hide and takes their horror on Abandoned Mansions (of Madnes)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.