Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Gagan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I attended a tournament at Guardian Games this weekend in Portland, OR where the Pacific NW regionals will be held in June.

I threw two decks together the night before with some strategies I'd never tried before and treated it as a learning/scouting lesson. I didn't play or perform well but thought I'd report what I saw as far as ID concentration. I am curious about what people are seeing in other cities.

A previous resident of Seattle who'd already played in a few tournaments finished first. Some of the PDX locals are a bit fearful a Seattle contingent is going to come down and eat our lunch as they don't have a regionals host location.

More than half the players were playing HB on the Corp side and generally doing very well with it. One reason people indicated they were playing HB was because of Noise but most people weren't playing Noise. Gabe was by far the preferred choice on the Runner side with Chaos Theory somewhat behind.

There were a couple Weyland players but only One Tag 'n Bag deck was present and it did not fare well in spite of only a couple players running Plascrete. I believe there was only one Jinteki player and not a single NBN. I am hoping the next couple expansions will make those IDs more attractive.

What's your local meta like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Keys
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Interrupt.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm from Calgary, Alberta, and I play with a group at our local game store, the Sentry Box. People here tend to try out a lot of different decks and switch factions frequently, as we don't maintain any kind of formal league and just play for fun every week. However, we recently had a tournament here, so I'll use those as a reference for what our local meta is like, competitively.

There were only six people who ended up coming out for the tournament. On the Runner side, we had four Gabe decks and two Noise decks. The Gabe decks were your typical very aggressive running decks with Emergency Shutdown and Account Siphon, etc. Nothing particularly fancy. The Noise decks were also fairly aggressive, not the type that sit back and just mill before doing a big glory run. Both of them focused on ICE destruction primarily, with the ability to shift between R&D digs, an Archives run, or snatching an agenda from a big remote with Stimhack.

On the Corporation side, there were three Weyland decks, two NBN, and one Jinteki Personal Evolution. Two of the Weyland decks had Scorched Earth as a secondary win condition, but they weren't dedicated tag 'n' bag. The other was a slower Commercialization deck with some traps. One of the NBN decks was a tag 'n' bag deck, while the other was a fast advance deck. Finally, the Jinteki deck was one that used net damage to slow the Runner down, building up one big remote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Local meta at Johannesburg, South Africa is very loose. We know a few people have specific preferences to certain sides, but they don't really influence each other and like to be on their own mission.

We got a die-hard HB player, he's even trying Stronger Together and is certainly looking forward to Creation & Control. He's dabbling in Weyland but is drawn to the same playstyle - big money, big ICE, security. He's also a big Shaper rigger, though he's moved to Anarch since discovering how useful their rig is. Then we got a couple of Criminal bulldog die-hards who bite and never lets go. Then we got some Jinteki lovers including myself. But honestly I just pick a theme and build a deck, seldom sticking to the same thing from week to week.

NBN gets the least love overall, but I've been loving my NBN Edge deck just to keep everyone on their toes. Especially since Cyber Exodus!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Blumklotz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matthew as a player in your meta I can say that I was surprised at the amount of HB decks. I was playing one only because I didn't feel comfortable playing my NBN deck yet and my Weyland deck is completely new and untested.

The last thing I wanted to do was bring decks I was unfamiliar with to a tournament. The time pressure and learning a deck just don't go together. As it was my variation on a HB Upgrades-palooza deck was completely wrong for the tournament environment (i.e. it was too slow).

I will bet with the release of the new data pack in the next few weeks plus everyone's experience with our first ever Portland, Oregon tournament will see a break up of nearly every deck being HB.

On a side note, in more casual play I have seen all Corp Decks represented. Jinteki is especially popular around here and there are quite a few NBN players.

I am compiling information on our tourney and will post results sometime this week with a break down of what was played overall.

It was good to play you in the final round.

See you at the tables.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Kenyon
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
flag msg tools
mb
Around here it seems to be Fast Advance HB/NBN and big Ice Weyland decks. On the Runners side we have a decent mix, although Criminal and Noise are probably the two main identities.

In my local group I'm the only one that plays Whizzard and consistently plays Jinteki ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a pretty reliable and growing group here in SE Michigan. There are some of us (like me) that try new concepts all the time, and even people who've picked a set of decks for regionals play will spend their league nights practicing with other deck ideas.

Both Jinteki IDs, Stronger Together, and Whizzard are under-represented, but still present! There's a pretty good mix of everything else.

I'm anxious to see the next couple data packs to bring Jinteki and maybe Stronger Together back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy York
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Actually, you won't have to worry about the Seattle crowd coming down to invade your Portland regional. A Seattle area store (Uncle's Games in Bellevue) is holding their regional the exact same day as Guardian is holding yours. We tried to get them talking to get one of them to move the date, but neither store would. (Guardian had a pretty full calendar, and Uncle's claimed they couldn't move it because they had already arranged the date with out-of-towners) If you do have some Seattle people come down, they'll be choosing your regional over ours.

I do know I'm surprised when I look at some of the other regional decklists and they look nothing like what I fear the most in Seattle. Which are Criminal central server attack (Account Syphon, Maker's Eye, Emergency Shutdown, Compromised Employee) and Noise Workshop virus mill. Corp side tends to be closer to what I see posted in other places, Weyland tag'n'bag and HB fast advance. The nature of these popular Runner decks makes it essential to move fast or have the alternate win condition as the Corp. I'm mystified when I see Shapers in the top decks in other regionals, I think they're considered too slow locally to keep up with the speedy corp decks that have emerged (which in turn are in response to the top Runner decks).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I propose that one reason Noise is getting less play at regionals is becuase Criminal is just that much better at tournament play.

I'm going to suggest that in this non-realistic world Crim and Noise win exactly the same percentage of games. To note though, in the games Crim wins it Corps is only scoring 2 points, but in the games Noise wins Corps is scoring 2-4 points.

However, in the games Criminal loses it scores 4-5 points and in the game Noises loses it scores 0-3.

In these examples the Criminal player has set himself up for an overall match win. Since he is scoring more agendas in loses and preventing the Corps from scoring in wins.

Noise is still very strong - but the tournament set up favors early aggression. I think this and a few other factors not mentioned here make Criminal the 50% played faction at regional tournaments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mgagan wrote:
tournaments finished first. Some of the PDX locals are a bit fearful a Seattle contingent is going to come down and eat our lunch as they don't have a regionals host location.

I believe Seattle Regionals is on the same day as Portland's. So you wont have to worry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
notyetsuperman wrote:

Noise is still very strong - but the tournament set up favors early aggression. I think this and a few other factors not mentioned here make Criminal the 50% played faction at regional tournaments.

Criminal definitely tends to score decent points in most of its losses, which is a plus for it. But I think Noise does too. Even if Noise is failing in other areas, before it loses it can just play whatever viruses it can and run archives for some points.

I think this is a plus for both Criminal and Noise. Its a mark against Shaper, since when shaper loses it tends to get crushed. If it reaches a good lategame it probably wins and stops the corp from scoring more, but it needs to get there, and probably didnt score much early.

I think if Noise isnt getting played much its because its really hard to play, whereas its much easier to make and play a good criminal deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Blumklotz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is born out by the results of the tournament. I will be posting up some result analysis of the Portland, OR tourney in the next few days and I think people will be (un)surprised by the results depending on their understanding of the current meta.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.