Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I would consider me and my girlfriend both Ameritrash gamers. If you take a look at my collection you will see why. That being said I finally broke down and bought Lords of Waterdeep after a solid year of dismissing it regardless of its constant praise.

Turns out we really like it. The things that we enjoyed were the elegance of the mechanics, the session time is just the right length and the theme while loosely tacked on still made collecting cubes feel like there was a purpose.

What if any other euro games might we enjoy. I warn you I despise any bland, drab boring looking games like Agricola or games were the purpose is to do work or be a farmer. That just seems stupid. I play games to have fun and escape work.

So far a few games are on my radar that could possibly make the cut are: Ninjato, Cyclades, Kemet, and Alien Frontiers (I pre-ordered this in the Rocket Dice Kickstarter but won't have it till October). Can you think of something else that we may like? Be warned we are both picky as hell.

Thanks in advanced

P.S. I forgot to mention no card games please, my gf doesn't like them.

update:

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. I am currently debating the following games:

Interested but need to know more:

CO₂
Yedo
Takenoko
Blue Moon City
Kingsburg
Galaxy Trucker
Clash of Cultures

Definitely going to buy:

Ninjato
Alien Frontiers
Pandemic
Cyclades
Kemet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gertz
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A euro for someone that doesn't care for them
Yedo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glenn Drover's masterpiece, Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery. This game, while a Euro in terms of mechanics, is beautiful to behold, plays like a charm, is competitive, and has a great theme (colonizing the New World). I don't play Euros as a rule, but I'd play this game whenever offered the chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gertz wrote:

Yeah that is under my radar, so is Kingsburg but I need to research them some more. Thanks for posting.

desertfox2004 wrote:
Glenn Drover's masterpiece, Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery. This game, while a Euro in terms of mechanics, is beautiful to behold, plays like a charm, is competitive, and has a great theme (colonizing the New World). I don't play Euros as a rule, but I'd play this game whenever offered the chance.

You know I saw this when I was making a geek list about games that bridged the gap between euro and ameritrash. Thanks for reminding me about it. Is it easy to pickup? How rules heavy is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
I think of those you mentioned, Ninjato should fit the bill. It plays well with two (still better with more), and while it has Euro mechanics, it doesn't feel like a typical Euro. You get to play as a ninja and fight against guards of various houses, such as Samurai. You can train for combat benefits, and use stealth or brute force when invading a house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Gertz wrote:

Yeah that is under my radar, so is Kingsburg but I need to research them some more. Thanks for posting.

desertfox2004 wrote:

You know I saw this when I was making a geek list about games that bridged the gap between euro and ameritrash. Thanks for reminding me about it. Is it easy to pickup? How rules heavy is it?

It is super easy to pick up. My buddy Rick's 11 year old son figured it out in no time, and was very competitive with his play. I'd say after a 15-20 minute rules run-thru, just about anyone can be up and playing this one. If every Euro was as good as this game, I guess I'd be a Eurogamer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked at Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery and it looks like a lot of pieces. How streamlined are the rules? That is one thing that is drawing me towards Ninjato and why we enjoyed Lords of Waterdeep! Is that they both are really fluid without too much upkeep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
I looked at Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery and it looks like a lot of pieces. How streamlined are the rules? That is one thing that is drawing me towards Ninjato and why we enjoyed Lords of Waterdeep! Is that they both are really fluid without too much upkeep.

If there is one word to describe Drover's Empires rules, it's "Streamlined". Just follow the sequence of play, which is totally straightforward, and you will not go wrong. Playing this game was a breath of fresh air in terms of rules overhead, compared to most of the games I play. Your brain will be focused entirely on strategy, because the ruleset is so easy to internalize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

If there is one word to describe Drover's Empires rules, it's "Streamlined". Just follow the sequence of play, which is totally straightforward, and you will not go wrong. Playing this game was a breath of fresh air in terms of rules overhead, compared to most of the games I play. Your brain will be focused entirely on strategy, because the ruleset is so easy to internalize.

Cool, I will definitely check it out. Thanks for the info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Coddington
United States
Woodbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When Kingsburg came out it was the first "Euro" game I played and I enjoyed it so much I decided to dive into the genre (if you decide to go for Kingsburg I highly recommend picking up the To Forge A Realm expansion). Since then I find I enjoy Euros just as much as I enjoy thematic games. These days I've been playing a lot of Stefan Feld games and I heartily recommend them especially Macao and Bora Bora though The Castles of Burgundy is probably more approachable. Kemet is an amazing game though I feel it fits more into the light wargame category, it has tons of confrontation, a great diceless combat system and really awards aggressive play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KillerTaco wrote:
When Kingsburg came out it was the first "Euro" game I played and I enjoyed it so much I decided to dive into the genre (if you decide to go for Kingsburg I highly recommend picking up the To Forge A Realm expansion). Since then I find I enjoy Euros just as much as I enjoy thematic games. These days I've been playing a lot of Stefan Feld games and I heartily recommend them especially Macao and Bora Bora though The Castles of Burgundy is probably more approachable. Kemet is an amazing game though I feel it fits more into the light wargame category, it has tons of confrontation, a great diceless combat system and really awards aggressive play.

Yeah, I did my research on Kingsburg and was planning on getting the expansion if I decide to go that route. Unfortunately the other three you mentioned fall under the "bore the shit out of me" games. I don't like those sort of themes.

Eventually I will get Kemet but was looking for something that was more of a departure form some of the games we currently have. That's why I think Cyclades would be the better of those two Matagot games for now.

Takenoko looks pretty neat, I like the components but wonder if it's too simple. The theme is cute enough my gf might enjoy it. Any thoughts? How does it compare to LoW?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Coddington
United States
Woodbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Takenoko looks pretty neat, I like the components but wonder if it's too simple. The theme is cute enough my gf might enjoy it. Any thoughts? How does it compare to LoW?

I've never played LoW (doesn't interest me, much rather play Yedo) so I couldn't tell you how it stacks up. I can tell you that Takenoko is a fantastic game. It has surprisingly deep game play (though it isn't a brain burner). Don't let the theme fool you either, the game can be cutthroat. It is definitely a game I recommend. I also find it plays well with 2 players if that makes any difference to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Thebes is worth a look. It's quite thematic, yet quite euro.

Ninjato is a reasonable choice if you're ok with games that have a "stock ownership" feel. You build up majorities in various houses, and then try to increase the value of those houses (and decrease the value of your opponents' houses). The high/low mechanism is really clever.

I wouldn't describe Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery as "streamlined". The special powers of workers can be confusing, and the way workers come into the game is odd. I would put the weight above the BGG-voted 3.1 (which is quite a bit more complex than Waterdeep, for example). It's not a terribly heavy game, but it's not light either.

EDIT: If you're looking for a 2p game, GD:TAoD is "not recommended" for 2p by 51% of BGG voters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Gertz wrote:

desertfox2004 wrote:

I use Age of Empires as a teaching tool with grade 7s. The rules are very intuitive, and the board is well designed with plenty of helpful guides printed on it. It is a very good game, and a great example of a worker placement game that features direct conflict. Highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KillerTaco wrote:
I've never played LoW (doesn't interest me, much rather play Yedo) so I couldn't tell you how it stacks up. I can tell you that Takenoko is a fantastic game. It has surprisingly deep game play (though it isn't a brain burner). Don't let the theme fool you either, the game can be cutthroat. It is definitely a game I recommend. I also find it plays well with 2 players if that makes any difference to you.

Very helpful, thanks. All we play is 2 players. I know you are big fan of Matagot's games and I am starting to becoming one as well. Just like Flying Frog, they just seem to make games that click with me. I am adding this to the list.

peakhope wrote:
Perhaps Thebes is worth a look. It's quite thematic, yet quite euro.

Ninjato is a reasonable choice if you're ok with games that have a "stock ownership" feel. You build up majorities in various houses, and then try to increase the value of those houses (and decrease the value of your opponents' houses). The high/low mechanism is really clever.

I wouldn't describe Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery as "streamlined". The special powers of workers can be confusing, and the way workers come into the game is odd. I would put the weight above the BGG-voted 3.1 (which is quite a bit more complex than Waterdeep, for example). It's not a terribly heavy game, but it's not light either.

Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback. I was watching a video on AoD and was realizing what you mentioned. How does Clash of Cultures compare?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Witch of Salem, I didn't care for Arkham Horror because there was too much "book keeping" and heard this is a good alternative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Coddington
United States
Woodbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
What about Witch of Salem, I didn't care for Arkham Horror because there was too much "book keeping" and heard this is a good alternative.

IMHO I think Witch of Salem is a shitty game and if I want to go with Arkham Horror light I would most likely play A Touch of Evil. That being said though Arkham Horror is my favorite game and I'd just rather be playing that, but I do know it is not a game for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finca

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobago
Arkadia
Mesopotamia
Taluva

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shigadeyo wrote:

To me this is just as bad as Agricola, Macao, Bora Bora, The Castle Burgundy, etc. Anything that looks like this or has a similar theme is out.

Ghool wrote:

Only thing remotely interesting in this list is Tobago. I'll look into it further.

KillerTaco wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

IMHO I think Witch of Salem is a shitty game and if I want to go with Arkham Horror light I would most likely play A Touch of Evil. That being said though Arkham Horror is my favorite game and I'd just rather be playing that, but I do know it is not a game for everyone.

I have A touch of Evil and like it a lot better than AH. Why don't you like Witch of Salem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife's favorite game to play with me 2 player is Core Worlds. It is a deckbuilding/drafting game with a space colonization theme. We also like Race for the Galaxy which has a similar theme, but is tableau building and plays well from 2-6.

LunarSoundDesign wrote:
I would consider me and my girlfriend both Ameritrash gamers. If you take a look at my collection you will see why. That being said I finally broke down and bought Lords of Waterdeep after a solid year of dismissing it regardless of its constant praise.

Turns out we really like it. The things that we enjoyed were the elegance of the mechanics, the session time is just the right length and the theme while loosely tacked on still made collecting cubes feel like there was a purpose.

What if any other euro games might we enjoy. I warn you I despise any bland, drab boring looking games like Agricola or games were the purpose is to do work or be a farmer. That just seems stupid. I play games to have fun and escape work.

So far a few games are on my radar that could possibly make the cut are: Ninjato, Cyclades, Kemet, and Alien Frontiers (I pre-ordered this in the Rocket Dice Kickstarter but won't have it till October). Can you think of something else that we may like? Be warned we are both picky as hell.

Thanks in advanced
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Coddington
United States
Woodbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

I have A touch of Evil and like it a lot better than AH. Why don't you like Witch of Salem?

For me it takes the idea of Arkham Horror and drains all the theme and the fun out of it. And the ridiculous rule where you can't talk about your cards with other players is usually house ruled out. To me it is just blah, a souless, over simplified version of Arkham horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Coddington
United States
Woodbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrimThunderbrew wrote:
My wife's favorite game to play with me 2 player is Core Worlds.

I love Core Worlds! An absolutely fantastic game. I really like the mix of both deck building and tableau building. plus the awesome sci-fi theme is a winner in my book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KillerTaco wrote:
GrimThunderbrew wrote:
My wife's favorite game to play with me 2 player is Core Worlds.

I love Core Worlds! An absolutely fantastic game. I really like the mix of both deck building and tableau building. plus the awesome sci-fi theme is a winner in my book.

I forgot to mention the gf hates card games or trust me we would be Playing the Star Wars LCG (she's a fan of the franchise)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Coddington
United States
Woodbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sucks, I think she needs to get over that because there are a lot of really excellent card games. Fantastiqa is a card/board game that is pure awesome sauce for 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.