Chris Wilczewski
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the first review I've ever written, but I saw that no one else had ever reviewed this Haba Game, and I'd hate to think that someone considering this game would miss a great opportunity to play a fun game.

One of my favorite types of games are hidden traitor-"player first" games. Resistance, Battlestar Galactica, Werewolf etc. The only complaint I have with these games is that I can't play them with my kids. My 6 year old just doesn't know how to lie very well, and she's not good at keeping secrets.

Enter Witches' Soup! The game is very straightforward and easy to explain. After a quick rules instruction, we were off.

Rules Summary:
Each player is dealt a hidden color and 8 hidden mushrooms of random colors. A player is free to look at their own mushrooms and witch, but players won't know what everyone else has. In the center of the board there are 4 colored cauldrons, one for each player. Players take turns rolling a 4 sided die, and then secretly choosing one of their mushrooms and dropping it into the cauldron that they rolled.

The fun part is that a witch may drop any color mushroom into the pot. Mushrooms of the matching color will be counted as positive points, mismatched mushrooms are negative points. When a player suspects another witch is dropping a mismatched mushroom, they call out "Hotchpotch!". If the mushroom is the matched color, the "Hotchpotch"-calling witch gets penalized, and if the mushroom is mismatched, then the offending player is penalized.

What Haba has done here is boil down the suspicion and accusation portion of hidden Traitor games like BSG into a package a 6 year old can participate in. You spend the game alternating between a nice witch, giving matched mushrooms to cauldrons, and then just once or twice, being a sneaky witch and dropping in a mismatched one and hoping you don't get caught in the act.

Final Thoughts?
I love this game. My daughter and wife both enjoyed it enough that I got "Just one more game" from both of them. My daughter had a ton of fun being a sneaky witch and she also loved being a nice witch. The game plays quickly, the rules and art are fun, and Haba is well on their way to being my favorite Kid-game publisher. If you're considering this game, pick it up. You'll be glad you did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that sounds great. Sign me up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike G
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
That does sound great. Now I need to try and find it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.