Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Had my first game of Spartacus the other day and it was great fun!

It was a three player game with Batiatus, Solonius, and Tullus.

A few issues came up however that I wonder that the rest of the community can answer.

1) A played scheme is successfully countered by a reaction card. Can the reaction card be countered by another card allowing the original scheme to be played? I seem to recall Jupiter's Cock has this ability - is this the only card that can counter a reaction/foil?

2) The FAQ states that "Some Reactions may be played multiple times in reaction to an in-game event." Does this apply to reactions played from the same player as well as different players? For example can ONE player simultaneously play multiple copies of "A Shameful Ludus" if the requirements are met?

3) Kindly confirm: if the host invites all other players and they ALL refuse the Host does NOT get the point of influence for hosting. Or loses it rather as that's the first thing that occurs in the combat phase.

Combat questions:

1) Can a net be used at the start of combat before the first initiative roll?

2) What happens if both combatants have nets and use them at the same time? Do they cancel each other out?

3) Exactly how does the javelin work? Is it used at the start of a player's turn before he rolls his combat dice or instead of using his combat dice?

3A) Is a player allowed to move before throwing the javelin? Or does the act of throwing replace movement?

3B) Kindly clarify what is meant by 4 range. In my game I stated that if I counted the hexes from my character the 4th hex should contain the enemy galdiator to be in range for this (i.e. there must be 3 hexes MAX between me an my opponent). My opponent countered that 4 range means that there should be 4 hexes MAX between us to be able to hit. Please help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - No, a reaction is not a scheme
2 - Yes
3 - Host still gets the point, only way he doesn't if he has to invite himself but refuses

1 - Yes
2 - Good question :)
3 - Used before
3A - It's outside the move/attack or attack/move options
3B - You are correct, you have to count the hex the opponent is in.

hopefully someone can confirm these too, as I'm somewhat still newish to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
1 - No, a reaction is not a scheme
2 - Yes
3 - Host still gets the point, only way he doesn't if he has to invite himself but refuses

1 - Yes
2 - Good question
3 - Used before
3A - It's outside the move/attack or attack/move options
3B - You are correct, you have to count the hex the opponent is in.

hopefully someone can confirm these too, as I'm somewhat still newish to the game.

I actually disagree with a few of these, especially with regards to the Javelin. Here's what I've gathered from the rules and other threads:

1. Yes, Jupiter's C*** is the only card that can cancel a Reaction, and if you do it to cancel a "Cancel a Scheme" Reaction, then you are back to the situation as if you had only played the Scheme.
2. Yes.
3. Yes. The Host gets this influence before he starts inviting people and will only lose it if he declines his own invitation.

Combat:
1: Yes, but it is rarely a good idea as you probably don't have enough speed to reach your opponent.
2: It's been ruled that both combatants roll a single die and the winner gets to use their net first.
3: The rules (p18) define Speed Attacks as behaving like normal attacks, but you use your Speed dice instead of your Attack dice.
3A: They have the same choice as usual. Either Move then Attack or Attack, then Move.
3B: Yes, normal attacks have Range 1 and you count the distance between the gladiators, not the spaces. Check the Attack Range section on p18 for confirmation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:

1. Yes, Jupiter's C*** is the only card that can cancel a Reaction, and if you do it to cancel a "Cancel a Scheme" Reaction, then you are back to the situation as if you had only played the Scheme.

2. Yes.

Great.

Clipper wrote:

3. Yes. The Host gets this influence before he starts inviting people and will only lose it if he declines his own invitation.

I could have SWORN I read something differently on this on these very forums. I wonder if GF9 might clarify? ** EDIT: I found the posting in question and discovered I misread the poster's intent. You are right - HOST keeps his influence even with no games **

Clipper wrote:

Combat:
1: Yes, but it is rarely a good idea as you probably don't have enough speed to reach your opponent.

Good point.

Clipper wrote:

2: It's been ruled that both combatants roll a single die and the winner gets to use their net first.

Thanks for this.

Clipper wrote:

3: The rules (p18) define Speed Attacks as behaving like normal attacks, but you use your Speed dice instead of your Attack dice.
3A: They have the same choice as usual. Either Move then Attack or Attack, then Move.
3B: Yes, normal attacks have Range 1 and you count the distance between the gladiators, not the spaces. Check the Attack Range section on p18 for confirmation.

Ok let me give an example to explain my confusion.

Situation 1:
Two gladiators X and Y are in combat with 1 empty hex between them. X has a javelin. X and Y roll for initiative and X wins. X opts to act first. If X wants to use the javelin does he have to use the blue dice results he obtained for his initiative roll? Or does he have to re-roll? I assume that when he rolls his blue dice Y gets to roll his black defense dice as normal.

After X throws his javelin, of his options available can he close the distance to attack Y in melee combat (effectively getting 2 attacks in his turn) or withdraw and kite Y?

Situation 2:
As before, gladiators X and Y are in combat and are adjacent to each other. X has a javelin and a net. X opts to use his net immediately winning initiative. He makes a melee attack against Y causing him to lose dice. He then withdraws - can he then as a parting shot throw the javelin at Y after disengaging?

I suppose my question is unlike the net, the javelin doesn't tell you if WHEN it can be used, or if it's exempt or included in the attack/move or move/attack of a player's turn.

Apologies if I'm being obtuse. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wolfe
United States
Imperial
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SaMatra wrote:

Ok let me give an example to explain my confusion.

Situation 1:
Two gladiators X and Y are in combat with 1 empty hex between them. X has a javelin. X and Y roll for initiative and X wins. X opts to act first. If X wants to use the javelin does he have to use the blue dice results he obtained for his initiative roll? Or does he have to re-roll? I assume that when he rolls his blue dice Y gets to roll his black defense dice as normal.

After X throws his javelin, of his options available can he close the distance to attack Y in melee combat (effectively getting 2 attacks in his turn) or withdraw and kite Y?

Situation 2:
As before, gladiators X and Y are in combat and are adjacent to each other. X has a javelin and a net. X opts to use his net immediately winning initiative. He makes a melee attack against Y causing him to lose dice. He then withdraws - can he then as a parting shot throw the javelin at Y after disengaging?

I suppose my question is unlike the net, the javelin doesn't tell you if WHEN it can be used, or if it's exempt or included in the attack/move or move/attack of a player's turn.

Apologies if I'm being obtuse. meeple

In situation 1, X would roll his speed die after winning initiative to use the javelin as an attack. Y would defend with black dice as normal. The game allows you to move and attack or attack and move. In this example you attacked with the javelin, so the only option left would be to move.

Situation 2:
Again, you may only move then attack or attack then move. X would need to wait until the next turn to hurl the javelin using his speed dice as attack dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, by saying that the Speed Attacks behave as normal Attacks, I meant to infer that the Speed Attack fully replaces your normal Attack for that round. I'm sorry for not being clearer. The rules I pointed out do make that distinction clear, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
Yeah, by saying that the Speed Attacks behave as normal Attacks, I meant to infer that the Speed Attack fully replaces your normal Attack for that round. I'm sorry for not being clearer. The rules I pointed out do make that distinction clear, though.

I gotcha. I think I was thrown off by the Axe which allows an additional wound after rolling combat dice.

Thanks very much for the clarifications!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.