BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: a game (for 6) to replace Power Grid rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
pandora Pandora
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My group really likes Power Grid but it may be time to mix it up with a new "main event" game that can play with 6 (bonus if it plays even more).

What we like about Power Grid:
- high level of interaction and conversation (due to auctions, tight resource market and map, etc.)
- intellectually engaging but moves fast
- you don't get bored when it's someone else's turn.

Aspects of Power Grid we could live without:
- games often feel 30 minutes too long
- it's a bit fiddly

Games on my radar:
Keyflower
VivaJava: The Coffee Game
Kings of Air and Steam
Chicago Express

If there's a more classic euro out there that fits the bill I would love to hear about it.
On the flipside, i'm in no rush - I can wait for something great that's coming out later this year.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Railways of the World

Very interactive with Auctions and tense competition for limited deliveries, limited map space/connections, and bonuses. This and Power Grid are too favorite main event games we've kept coming back to for years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
As you know, 6 is tough.

Keyflower is excellent. So is Dominant Species.

Eketorp isn't as heavyweight and is slightly corny... but it meets your criteria.

Edit: thought of another one - Bootleggers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Berdichevsky
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7wonders
Different kind of game and you'll find people that say that it isn't interactive (they are wrong)
Some will say it's a filler. Easily main game
With expansions can play up to 8
45 minutes and you're playing again

In the euro category
The pillars of the earth with expansions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Keyflower
+1 Kings of Air & Steam
-1 7 Wonders (too random with 6-7p)
The Resistance/The Resistance: Avalon

>And I've read good things about Chicken Caesar
>I personally find Railways of the World to be too long of a game for what it is, but many people enjoy it with larger groups.
>I enjoy Eclipse, but it is a bit different than your other options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now when we have 6, we play Race for the Galaxy with 2 expansions, Battlestar Galactica, Arkham Horror, or Cosmic Encounter with one expansion. Our favorites are RFTG and BSG. I am also looking for other 6p games like you, and will buy Keyflower from recommendations and am considering Chicago Express. Not a big fan of Power Grid because of too much length, too little theme and blocking mechanics.

*edit - forgot about Eclipse, we play and enjoy that one too, but it requires similar time and space to AH.

pandora75 wrote:
My group really likes Power Grid but it may be time to mix it up with a new "main event" game that can play with 6 (bonus if it plays even more).

What we like about Power Grid:
- high level of interaction and conversation (due to auctions, tight resource market and map, etc.)
- intellectually engaging but moves fast
- you don't get bored when it's someone else's turn.

Aspects of Power Grid we could live without:
- games often feel 30 minutes too long
- it's a bit fiddly

Games on my radar:
Keyflower
VivaJava: The Coffee Game
Kings of Air and Steam
Chicago Express

If there's a more classic euro out there that fits the bill I would love to hear about it.
On the flipside, i'm in no rush - I can wait for something great that's coming out later this year.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WildLife
Das Amulett
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chicago Express is not good with six.
Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery is one of the best six player games with either the expansion or a sixth set of pieces, but it will run half an hour per player, which is longer than Power Grid with six. The same applies to The Pillars of the Earth which plays six with the expansion.

Tribune: Primus Inter Pares plays six with its expansion as well--and should be under 2 hours. While Tribune is easy to obtain for cheap, the expansion might be out of print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial 2030

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think Chicago Express is a great game, even with 6. I also think it's everything Power Grid is but better (less fiddly, takes less time, etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Iordache
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Acquire

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roi Espino
Spain
Vigo
Pontevedra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of SteamBut notice that its a step beyond in complexity and unforgiving with mistakes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pandora Pandora
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great recommendations so far!
I think I mentioned that we already find Power Grid a bit long - it usually takes us about 2.5 hours. I am not interested in anything that's longer.

Something that's slightly more complex might be fine. But since 6 people who only get together a few times a year to play are all going to have to learn this new game, I prefer it to not be overwhelmingly complicated.

I've never played 7 Wonders and people seem really split on how they feel about it - I'm curious about why it's so polarizing. But then again, some people don't like Power Grid. We like almost everything about it - including the theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
pandora75 wrote:
I think I mentioned that we already find Power Grid a bit long - it usually takes us about 2.5 hours. I am not interested in anything that's longer.

Something that's slightly more complex might be fine. But since 6 people who only get together a few times a year to play are all going to have to learn this new game, I prefer it to not be overwhelmingly complicated.

I've never played 7 Wonders and people seem really split on how they feel about it - I'm curious about why it's so polarizing. But then again, some people don't like Power Grid. We like almost everything about it - including the theme.

7 Wonders is a fine game, but it's very light and short compared to something like Power Grid. It's also essentially just a card-drafting and set collection game... so people who aren't fans of those things may find it uninteresting.

Keyflower still fits all your criteria... it's a little shorter and a little less complicated than Power Grid. (But not a lot simpler or a lot shorter.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders is a good game but it does not have a lot of variety in its play. If you play it weekly, you will get tired of it. However, if you guys only play a few times a year like you say, you will really enjoy it. Based on your last post, I think 7 Wonders is the game for you.

pandora75 wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Keyflower (such an excellent game even with 6p)
+1 VivaJava: The Coffee Game (handles 7-8 players really well)
+1 Dominant Species (can be 3 hours long for 6 players)

Take a look at Viticulture too. Plays 6p. I've no experience playing it with 6p since I only tried it once with 4p only (90mins).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pandora Pandora
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:

>And I've read good things about Chicken Caesar

Thanks for the rec - I've never even heard of this one! It looks interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
another +1 for

Railways of the World

Both the Eastern U.S. map that comes with the base game and the Western U.S. expansion map each play very well with 6 players. A nice bonus is that the base game also comes with a Mexico map that is great for 2 players. If you do play the Eastern US map, a word of warning: Don't let one player stay by themselves in the Northeast! Leaving people alone is definitely not the way to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play as seldom as you say, maybe check out Room 25 for simple rules, but not so simple strategy.

You try to find the exit room and escape before it is too late, but you must beware of the traps and lethal rooms. If you have seen the movie Cube, you got the drift. Contains co-op or solo, team, competition, and suspicion modes, so is quite versatile. You can play it co-op, then introduce the guards. The difficulty level can also be adjusted by selecting different rooms to the mix. Plays in around 30min per game.

+1 for The Resistance:Avalon, but it requires an active group (which I gather you have).

+1 for Cosmic Encounter (3-5, but each expansion adds one player). Contains conflict, negotiation, and intrigue by bringing your powers and cards in play just when they do the most good. Has great replayability because of the asymmetric alien character powers.

Another possible: Panic Station (4-6 players)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group is generally 6, and we play regularly so I know the problem. In all honesty, there aren't many 6 player games that will come in faster, without going into the filler category like Citadels etc. 6+ players is mostly Ameritrash territory or filler, there are very few Euros at that length, and to be honest none worth playing that will be faster than 2.5 hrs. You are really looking at mostly 3-4hrs.

I'd say the best options are:

Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery (+expansion for 6)
Dominant Species

Age of Empires (or Discovery as it's renamed) *might* scrape 2.5hrs although not with my group. I'd allow at least 30 mins per player.

To be honest Dominant Species is gong to need 45 mins per player, and at least an hour your first game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pandora75 wrote:

I really like 7 Wonders, but like others have said: it's better with fewer players and it can become boring when played too often (and because it's fun and short it's likely that it will get played often )

About the number of players:
I prefer the game with 3-5 players, because with more players you cannot observe what all the other players are doing, you cannot take into account all the cards that are in play and the other players' strategies. And you basically only get to see each hand once, so you cannot hope for a card to wheel (come back to you.) With 6-8 it feels much more luck-driven and multi-player solitaire than with less players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Show Manager

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Mościcki
msg tools
Where is Ishtar's nipple??!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like bean counting in PG you should definitely try Railways of the World/Steam/Age of Steam (sorted from medium to hard, pick the difficulty you prefer). Dominant Species is too long and a bit too chaotic with 6. I never play it with more than 4. AoE III is a good game and scales well, but it's slightly lighter than PG. VivaJava is interesting, but very chaotic, it doesn't compare with PG at all in terms of strategy - it's almost a party game. Keyflower is good and actually best with 6, but it's a short game - 2h and four turns only, you don't get to do much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Cosgrove
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmb
Someone previously described 7 wonders to me as almost 2 separate games when 4 or less, versus 5-7, in that with the larger number, the amount of interaction and strategy in passing is significantly reduced, as you will most likely never see the cards you pass again, while with 3-4, it plays very much more interactive.

It's a decent game in both modes, just feels a lot more fulfilling with less than 5.

Best of Luck on your search.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Would
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse for a game of a similar level of complexity to play but very different, although I would say it takes a little longer to play.

Seven Wonders is great for six but is quite a bit shorter and a much simpler game, as is The Resistance: Avalon and Shadow Hunters.

History Of The World is best with six but is a longer game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.