7 Wonders» Forums » General

Subject: What expansion seems to be better? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J H
msg tools
mbmb
Hi everybody

I'm very happy today since I received 7 wonders for my birthday present!

I've been talking about wanting to buy this game a couple of weeks ago and my wife got it for me!

Although I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy the base game alone, I also wanted to buy an expansion

It seems like either Leaders or Cities is the good choice and both seem pretty nice

What would you recommend between the two?

I've looked at http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/831995/must-buy-expansions-l... but the post seemed to have been before Cities was out and popular, so I wanted an updated view from others

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're just getting into the game and going to rush out to buy an expansion, I'd say Cities. It won't add much complexity/teaching time to the rules, and will add a few mechanics that are cool.

Later, when you've played the game a bunch and are itching for another expansion, you can get Leaders, which adds more complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want the game to play the same as it does with the base game, but add a few new icons and card abilities, Cities is the way to go. If you want the game itself to play a bit differently, then Leaders is probably what you would prefer. Also, Leaders can push you in certain directions strategy-wise, depending on the leaders you draft, while Cities cards mostly serve to help you pursue whatever strategy you pick yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got 7 wonders as my birthday as well!
Not to hijack your thread but I thought Cities have some more leader cards?
Will OP get to play those cards or am I wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
porkchop_tw wrote:
I got 7 wonders as my birthday as well!
Not to hijack your thread but I thought Cities have some more leader cards?
Will OP get to play those cards or am I wrong?

It contains leaders but only to use with leaders expansion.
If I could only have one, I'd pick leaders as it changes the game a lot differently. Cities adds one card per player per age which blends in nicely with base game. Leaders seems like it adds to my setup time as everyone needs to find out what their leaders do up front but seems to me changes the game more. My vote is to enjoy base game as long as possible before getting any expansions though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
romeo camarce
United States
flag msg tools
JH, I prefer the Leaders Expansion. It is not a difficult expansion to learn and adds cards to the gameplay in a separate fashion. You use leaders like perks throughout the game and it changes the gameplay mechanics in a good way. Theres not to much extra to do and it has enough affects to the gameplay making the whole 7 Wonders experience in my opinion more awesome. For adding an 8th player and team play get cities much later but with 4 people playing it does not do much you need 5-8 to really have cities make a difference. hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should play the base game several times and figure out if you want more player interaction (cities) or more control over your strategy (leaders).

While I thoroughly enjoy both expansions, I think the base game is amazing without them, so it's not like you'll have a bad experience waiting to buy one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I play a lot of 7 Wonders with both my game group and two player with my wife. In both settings Cities has become an auto include in all our games while Leaders quickly became "by request only" after its initial few plays (and I honestly can't remember when it was last requested).

So I certainly think Cities is the better expansion. It fits pretty seamlessly into the base game's flow and adds some nice cards, abilities and wonders to the mix. I find it compliments the base game more than expands it per se... but that also makes it something you can easily include for even new players.

Leaders adds several extra steps to the game and require more planning to use than the cards in Cities. As others have said this is nice for players who are very familiar with the game as they can make the best use of those leader cards. Where I disagree with other posters is about long term strategy. Its true that once you have your hand of leaders you need to plan around what you have... but the acquisition of those leaders feels quite random. Having some idea what might be coming up is what makes drafting work as a mechanic. Most hands of 7 Wonders you can at least make an educated guess based on card distributions and what's been played (Cities does add some uncertainty... but they are a small minority of each round's card set). The initial leader draft is all hands of unique cards which you don't get to see more than once unless you're playing two player meaning you can't rely on a draft strategy... only luck of the draw. If you don't mind your long term strategy being dictated to you in a fairly arbitrary manner you'll probably like Leaders quite a lot... but I expect you'll get more long term mileage out of Cities regardless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks everybody for the great, thoughtful, and kind replies

It really helped a lot

Just as an additional point, I think I'll be playing the game as the 2 player variant a lot with my wife, and I was wondering if any of the expansions would complement the 2 player version more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly I think the Leaders draft works best with two as you see each hand twice and can therefore plan a bit more than usual. I'd still go Cities as I think its simply the better expansion.

Have fun with the game whatever you choose!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Robbins
United States
Elgin
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither expansion is at it's best with two. I guess in leaders the draft might be a little more interesting with 2 but the free city doesn't use any leaders so there's not a ton of interaction there.

The problem with cities with 2 (or 3 for that matter)is there's a lot more randomness when it comes to black cards. Although diplomacy becomes stronger with 3 players.

Basically whatever expansion you like better is fine but not great with 2. I like cities so I'd go with that, but you can't go wrong either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Realistically, there is hardly much difference at all between the two expansions... essentially it boils down to playing an extra card per round either way.

Leaders is an extra card you can purchase at the beginning of each round, the "leader" which will cost X gold, vs. Cities where you just are able to play and additional card overall, with "black" cards mixed in.

Honestly, of the two, Cities has the most "new" mechanics but I will say I also like Leaders better. I do feel the extra leader draft helps to minimize some of the luck and gives you more opportunity to develop a strategy.

Also, a cheap expansion that adds a lot is the Wonder Pack, however in a number of these expansions, not everything is compatible with just the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Brunell
Canada
Bromont
Quebec
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Leaders when playing with my old group of players, they are used to more stuff. I will play with Cities when playing with more new players, but never any of those if they never played 7 Wonders before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
msg tools
mbmb
Again thanks everybody!

Seems like the answer is "you can't go wrong with either one"

I'm leaning more towards the cities, but I'll have to ask my wife on this

Thanks again for all the kind replies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Eaton
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leaders is my favorite, by far. i like the ability to determine a long-term strategy through the leaders you draft. Cities is pretty good, but the black cards tend to be overpowered (especially the military cards!). One interesting thing about Cities is that it provides a lot of strategies that don't actually lead to anything. Diplomacy seems good until you realize that you're not getting any points from it.

Two player games: the 2-player game included with the base game is pretty bad. My wife and I tried it once and swore "never again". A much BETTER 2-player variant is to put in the cards for a 4-player game, and have each person play a Cities Team Game with themselves. Pass the cards in a Z-shape pattern. MUCH better than the original.

But, by far, the best expansion I have played is a fan-expansion called "Myths". You can find it here: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/132146/7-wonders...
Some of the icons are a little wonky, and it requires you to print it yourself, but it has become the must-play expansion in my game group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you want more simple and straightforward expnasion -> get Cities

If you want more game changing expansion -> get Leaders

You can't go wrong here, I suggest You should get both expansions and a Wonder Pack for a full experience!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johny D
msg tools
mbmbmb
I would buy them both. Leaders adds more strategy to the game while cities adds some cool mechanics and interesting tactical decisions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go with neither for awhile. I picked up Leaders some time before Cities came out, and I mostly just use it for the additional scoring sheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.