Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom D.
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I can not afford anything from Geek Chic, but I really needed more table space for games like Twilight Imperium. We've (my wife and myself) recently started gaming regularly (with another couple) and the space limitations were starting to get on my nerves, so I built a modification. This was my first carpentry project, and I'm alright with how it turned out.

I covered the table top part with fabric to prevent any damage to tiles or other cardboard pieces. I built the small shelves to hold pieces (like ships or army pieces), and I made it just high enough to still see what's going on and have plenty of clearance for player areas.

There's plenty more I think I could do better, but I wanted to share it with ya'll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom D.
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aanlaien wrote:
I asked a similar question earlier. I found a 6 ft. collapsable banquet table down at Target. I got in on sale for $32, but the actual price is $35. It is a little bent at the middle, but it's more than enough to satisfy my needs for games and their expansions.

The nice thing is, it stores easily and doesn't take up much space so you can pull it out in an open room any time for board games.

Hope this helps.

Thanks dude. I put out a personal carpentry project to share with the community at large, and you turn it into an advertisement. I certainly appreciate that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GIven the choice between a bespoke, handmade table or something mass-produced in China for Target, I know which I'd choose, every time. Hint - it's not the mass-produced item.

I've not attempted anything as large as a table, yet. I was thinking about some patio furniture, but there never seems to be enough time. So it's mainly boxes for me; I must upload pics of my latest (for Innovation and expansions), once I've given it a final polish tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom D.
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard,

I would love to see it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the table I built earlier this month:

It's 4'x8', because I built it for holding the larger wargames I own. I'm also building an extension, as some maps are a little longer than eight feet, or stick out more than four feet for at least part of their length.

It's on casters, which is critical, as the room isn't a helluva lot larger than the table itself. The most expensive part was the birch-veneer plywood, at 48 dollars, but it was worth it. Once it's had a couple of coats of light oak stain, it looks terrific.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom D.
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darrell, That looks great!

I don't have the space for a table that large, so I went with the riser instead, but man, that looks just fantastic. Gives me something to shoot for when I get a little bit more room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom D.
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aanlaien wrote:
td6211 wrote:
Aanlaien wrote:
I asked a similar question earlier. I found a 6 ft. collapsable banquet table down at Target. I got in on sale for $32, but the actual price is $35. It is a little bent at the middle, but it's more than enough to satisfy my needs for games and their expansions.

The nice thing is, it stores easily and doesn't take up much space so you can pull it out in an open room any time for board games.

Hope this helps.

Thanks dude. I put out a personal carpentry project to share with the community at large, and you turn it into an advertisement. I certainly appreciate that.

Sorry dude. I was tired and I read it wrong.

Fair enough man, I thought you were a bot..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.