Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy Bob
United States
Beachwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
I've lost twice with him already, I know he's the weakest, but do you guys have any tips to winning with him?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Albo
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i play him often and my tactic is often to be host and at least 3 to 4 gladiator to keep as many slaves as well. Ashur I would absolutely buy his special ability then this is great for long straight games to start.
Of course some luck with the cards and be nice sneaky.

I hope you understand what i wrote :-) and it helps you in the next game :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Bob
United States
Beachwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
So it's not impossible to win with him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lloyd
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played enough to know if it's impossible to win with him, but I've certainly been in contention in games I've played with him. Last game I made a run for 12 influence and only failed due to my opponent having a fortuitous reaction card.

Key things - don't EVER discard 3 gladiators to gain influence until you're making the end run for victory. There are several cards in the deck which award influence to a house with 4,5 or 6 gladiators. Batiatus is the most likely to be able to use those. DO exhaust your gladiators to gain the gold because this helps to mitigate your maintenance cost for gladiators. Always keep enough gold in reserve to pay your upkeep - don't lose gladiators you've paid good money for to being a couple gold short on upkeep!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward B.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At first glance, Batiatus appears weaker due to the fact that he is losing cash at the start of the game, but after a few plays I think he's pretty even keel with the other three houses.

His exhibition match ability is pretty good and just gets better exponentially. Exhaust two gladiators and get two gold... right away you are able to mitigate your losses. You start off losing two gold, but can immediately on your turn exhaust two gladiators to get that gold back. Get a sizeable stable with an extra slave or two and you'll soon be making gold while having your choice of gladiator for the games.

Also, if other players exhaust their gold by spending on big name gladiators and/or equipment and slaves, chances are you can snatch up some gladiators on the cheap since they aren't worth much to the other players if they have a few decent gladiators already.

Batiatus is a match for any of the other three houses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mordante Mordante
msg tools
Also don't forget the opportunity to roleplay some of the best rants in TV history!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wayne bridge wrote:
Also don't forget the opportunity to roleplay some of the best rants in TV history!

Yes, there is always that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Bob
United States
Beachwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
So my brother won a 3 way game using Bartiatis.

Has his stragety changed much with the expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kenn whitney
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, you can exhaust two gladiators to gain two gold. But you do this in the intrigue phase. Then in the upkeep phase of the following turn, you refresh gladiators, then pay upkeep. The two gold you just made, you lose again. Feels like a loan. Am I playing this right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Holliday
msg tools
There are several tips on evening out the houses, make it a house rule before people even choose the House they are going to play.

Here is a list of rules we use:
Battie gets 3 gold instead of 2 when exhausting.

Glaber has to exhaust 4 guards instead of 3 to draw or gain influence.

Same with the house that discards slaves, change it to 4 slaves.

Just two ways to even up the game play just make the rules before choosing the houses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.