Subject: Best value? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Myth gefinitely gives you quite a lot for your money but where do you get the best value at Captain or Aprentice?
And when you take into account everything, not only figures?

Some opinions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain is the best value for money. Apprentice is not 50% better than Captain, but Apprentice is still worth getting because both are good value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terah wrote:
Captain is the best value for money. Apprentice is not 50% better than Captain, but Apprentice is still worth getting because both are good value.

Thanks.
I think the same. Also Captain is best value, but Apprentice has
the "muhaha figures, lotta figures, muhahhaha" factor laugh modest whistle

Aprentice looks more and more tempting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Barnes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cost per miniature is only like 2 cents more each for apprentice. I jumped up to apprentice from captain instead of going for 2xcaptain, as I wanted to run double lairs, but not have 2 full games sitting around. I wish they would give a small bump to apprentice to make it more appealing, like throwing in the quest expansion or something. Though it is a little late for that

Overall, I think they are both a great value overall, just depends what you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael Pigulla
Germany
Feldkirchen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The primary reason to get Apprentice over Captain is if you want to have double lairs of the same type on a single tile (which afaik you never have to do). If that's not important to you or you are content with proxying monsters if necessary, don't bother.

Personally, I'd much rather invest the 50 bucks in other addons. The extra minis you'd get with Apprentice are (from a pure gameplay point of view) practically worthless 90% of the time.

That being said, I can see how having two identical spawners can be very cool and truly gives you a feeling of being zerged. Whether you think that experience is worth 58$ is of course totally up to you :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Great Dalmuti
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yesterday i returned to myth kickstarter page and i were really astonished what happened the last weeks. i had it on my watchlist, but with all the extras its really interesting.

but while i did not follow the whole campaign its very difficult to see what stuff is important for gameplay.

i think i will jump on in captains level. but what extras are important to get? i read some threads but its not clear what i really need.

is anybody willing to help me. thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark guckeyson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gomtuu wrote:
but what extras are important to get? i read some threads but its not clear what i really need.

That's a relative term, of course. For me, the things that seem most likely to give a boost to replay value are the Quest Expansion 1 Deck, Treasure Expansion Deck, Elemental Boss, Skald Blister and maybe the 6"x6" Tile Supplement 1.

The things that would be nifty to have, if "all the rest" doesn't seem refined enough, would be Treasure Bag and enough sleeves to keep my kids from being sad when they ruin something.

Having said that, I'm likely getting two Captain expansions, so I don't care about the fig add-ons... I'll be swamped in figs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apprentice is great value but when you "take into account everything, not only the figures" Captain is clearly the better value. Apprentice will be a fantastic doubly overstuffed box, but if you're on a limited budget then you will be so very, very happy with Captain.

I can't decide what level to go for myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Great Dalmuti
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i will playing this solo most of time.
i dont want things that doesnt add something to the gameplay. and i like minis but have plenty of them. so i need only figs that are necessary for playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark guckeyson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Problem being, "necessary for playing" isn't clear. MERCS has stated repeatedly that the game is fully playable with just the core box, assuming you're okay with using proxies. So, go with Captain pledge. None of the add-ons are required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Great Dalmuti
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks to all replies!
i pledged captains level and the next hours i will decide about the extras!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain is of course best value.

Apprentice is where the 'double-lair' thing comes in. Double lairs of the same type is basically just a bit more awesome, particularly with a boss thrown in, so while slightly easier you could have 2 orc lairs with an orc boss empowering them to be terrifying.

By the looks of it, both Skeletons & Elementals are going to have enough in captain to double-lair anyway though, and the others don't look too far off to manage for most situations.

I'm personally, and suggest for you, captain with extra's

As far as what extra's are useful to get:
Quest Deck - Increases the number of quests available which should make for a lot more re-playability, I think practically everyone is getting this..
Treasure Deck - Not really required, but gives an extra 30 treasures to the deck (So 25% ish more) which is kinda cool if you're a loot whore
Skald - Another hero, this is practically must have too in my opinion, I'd also suggest skald sleeves for consistency if you get it!
Elemental Boss - I'm not getting this, but it'll likely be really fun and make the elementals more interesting an enemy.

Hope this was helpful =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zheng Xuan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gomtuu wrote:
thanks to all replies!
i pledged captains level and the next hours i will decide about the extras!!!

just hold on to the captain for now. there will be a pledge manager after the campaign so you can take your time to browse and decide

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Great Dalmuti
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoothsmith wrote:

Apprentice is where the 'double-lair' thing comes in. Double lairs of the same type is basically just a bit more awesome, particularly with a boss thrown in, so while slightly easier you could have 2 orc lairs with an orc boss empowering them to be terrifying.

By the looks of it, both Skeletons & Elementals are going to have enough in captain to double-lair anyway though, and the others don't look too far off to manage for most situations.

Quest Deck - Increases the number of quests available which should make for a lot more re-playability, I think practically everyone is getting this..
Treasure Deck - Not really required, but gives an extra 30 treasures to the deck (So 25% ish more) which is kinda cool if you're a loot whore
Skald - Another hero, this is practically must have too in my opinion, I'd also suggest skald sleeves for consistency if you get it!
Elemental Boss - I'm not getting this, but it'll likely be really fun and make the elementals more interesting an enemy.

Hope this was helpful =)

thank you chris,
this is what i just added to my pledge: quest deck, treasure deck, extra hero, extra boss!
maybe i go for the extra lairs.
thanks agin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoothsmith wrote:

Hope this was helpful =)

I'm not buying anything more than a single captain $100 pledge. There is loads of stuff that is tempting, but for me, a basic pledge is the right option.

Treasure seems pretty hard to get in the game, so I don't see the treasure deck getting boring enough to need the extra treasure cards straight away.

I have no idea how often I will get the game to the table (it may be awful), so I don't see the need to buy more quests or miniatures.

Double lair tiles don't seem that interesting to me. I want a bit of variety.

The game plus the stretch gives you plenty of tiles, and as you don't seem to use a whole lot at a time, I don't think I will get bored any time soon.

There are already six heroes to play with, and most of my games will be 3-player games. As the game involves keeping your heroes, I don't see the need to buy the skald straight away.

The biggest reason? None of this is kickstarter exclusive, and I am pretty sure most of it will be available for retail later. If it turns out I love the game and want extra stuff, I will buy it gradually at retail as and when I need it.

But hey - I think you guys should buy everything. Twice. Because we hit more stretch goals that way, and I get more free stuff. (I know, I'm a bad person...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol, loving your last little comment at the end there

If it was a UK project I'd be more likely to get the base game & just get the hero/decks later, but I'm just concerned that if I don't grab them now then obtaining them (Partly 'cause shipping costs) will be a problem =P

Not to say I won't get expansions later if it's fun, I just wanted to have it a bit more completed to start with, within my cost lines anyway (£100, at £103 but y'know...close enough).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MERCS stuff is stocked by Wayland Games here in the UK and I am sure there are others too so I don't think getting hold of stuff at a later date will be an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
jonahmaul wrote:
MERCS stuff is stocked by Wayland Games here in the UK and I am sure there are others too so I don't think getting hold of stuff at a later date will be an issue.

Good to know. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Suarez
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I've been looking at this for a while, and finally pledged at the Captain level last night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smith
msg tools
mbmb
So far the best value seems to be double Captain as this allows you to run multiples of the same hero type. It is only $50 more than apprentice and you can even say that since you are not buying the extra $8 lair add-on that it is only $42 more than apprentice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael Pigulla
Germany
Feldkirchen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Auctorium wrote:
So far the best value seems to be double Captain as this allows you to run multiples of the same hero type. It is only $50 more than apprentice and you can even say that since you are not buying the extra $8 lair add-on that it is only $42 more than apprentice.

It's certainly good value considering the amount of minis you get for around 200 bucks. But it's definitely not best value because you get lots of stuff that is essentially useless.

For example, at the Captain level you may not be able to do everything (e.g., no two heroes of the same class, no two spawners of the same type) but you can do 90% and put 100% of your stuff to use.
With double Captain level, on the other hand, you can do 99% (still can't have more than two heroes of the same class) but you can only really use 70% of what you bought (what are you gonna do with 42 Orcs? Are you really going to not kill a single Orc for four rounds straight?).

"Best value" basically means "most bang for your buck". Stuff that just sits in your box and gathers dust has no bang value but your bucks are still gone. Hence, as far as "best value" goes, 1xCaptain is better than 2x Captain.

(Obviously I pretty much pulled those percentages out of my butt, but you get the point.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad B
United States
Anderson
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think best is subjective. For me best is Apprentice. Captain has too few minions to run dual lairs of all races. Double Captain has too many redundant minis. Apprentice allows for dual lairs and I may have a few extra minis, but not as many as Double Captain. I don't really have an intrest in running dual classes. So, make the decision for yourself as to what constitutes "best".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had my eye on this for a while and I'm still debating. I was considering Apprentice for the extra figs, but looking at them in detail I'm not sure now.

The extra figs would be nice, but it's really more of the same and I could either save $50 or spend the same amount of money and get some more meaningful (to me) extras instead...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
china viola
Austria
Vienna
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Go for double Captain ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that a really bad viewpoint to be honest...I don't tend to sleeve things personally (Except smash up as the cards just felt like they'd last 3 plays...) but if you're getting them, it implies to me you want to properly protect your game components. 'You have a backup' isn't really an equivalent.

The $8 lair is a fair argument, but still $42 on top of that.

Also I don't want to have a ton of components I don't need, that's so wasteful. I'm disappointed as it is with how many extra miniatures we're getting to what we should need as I don't want it to be a waste. (Might make use of them by having some custom 'zombies' in zombicide though!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.