Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the OCTGN Tournament is over and it’s time to start posting decklist writeups. Sinquetica and I played nearly identical lists.

This is what we’re playing, with card-by-card commentary. Because people who post decklists with no context annoy me a little, so here’s like twenty pages of it.

Runner: Breakerless Noise

ID: Noise

Deck (45):

3 Datasucker

2 Medium

3 Parasite

3 Imp

3 Crypsis

2 Account Syphon

2 Magnum Opus

1 Aesop’s Pawnshop

1 Easy Mark

3 Armitage Codebusting

3 Liberated Account

3 Stimhack

2 Grimoire

2 Infiltration

3 Sure Gamble

3 Deja Vu

3 Djinn

1 Ice Carver

2 Wyldside (Brisingre) / 2 Cyberfeeder (Sinquetica)

So, first of all, breakerless is a bit of a misnomer. The term arose from the first Anarch lists to take a pass on the Fixed Strength Breaker/Mem Chip package in favor of just playing Crypsis, Viruses, and ton of cash. In any case, I’m extremely fond of this list, and it performed very well for us. I’m standing by my logic for playing it to begin with: Anarch might not be the best faction, but Noise is by far the best ID, and you can splash the rest of it. This deck pretty much built itself, it’s Noise, Viruses, Crypsis, and Money. It’s nothing particularly innovative, but I think it’s well-tuned and very powerful. You’ve got to be very comfortable reading a table, because the deck bets everything it has on every decision it makes. There are no safety nets, but the payoff for that is considerable, and we have a runner win percentage to prove it. (I lost one game where I was badly outplayed by JopeJope, won three games, and had two dropped opponents. I didn’t quite make the cut to top 16, so this is all in Swiss. I think Sinquetica’s stats were better but I’ll let him talk about that.)

Card by Card:

Noise:

Noise is the reason to play this deck. The ability to just roll the dice and win out of nowhere is incredible, and the only corp that can interact with him natively is HB. Playing Noise was partly a metagame decision; I didn’t expect HB to be much of a showing.

Datasucker:
One of your bread and butter viruses. We can’t take as abusive advantage of it as decks with fixed-strength breakers or Wyrm can, but it’s still economically efficient, it gets Noise triggers, and recycling them through Deja Vu and Pawnshop in very long games is pretty viable. I ended up taking more advantage of it for the Noise trigger than for it’s actual counters.

Medium:

I don’t think I’ve gotten any profit out of Medium past the Noise trigger in the entire tournament. People (very wisely) pre-emptively ice R&D pretty heavily when they see Noise hit the table, and while the Crypsis/Money/Stimhack package excels at getting in where it’s least wanted on very short notice, it’s very bad at breaking two pieces of cheap ice four times in a turn to get Medium triggers. I’d definitely play a split with Nerve Agent now (it wasn’t available) and I might not play either of them again. You want to keep your virus density up, but Medium was really, really bad.

Parasite:

Parasite’s a strange card in this deck. With Wyrm, fixed strength breakers, and Datasuckers it’s an extremely potent way to get into servers. It’s like an Inside Job that can pick the ice to bypass. In this deck, we don’t really get to do that. We do occasionally get to snipe with Datasucker tokens, but even that’s not typical. Mostly it’s a noise trigger that also forces the corp to either eventually pay for new ice or commit to being Time Walked every few turns. It’s not the crushing beating that it is in other Noise lists, but we’re a much slower, less aggressive Noise list. We play very long games that we win by stimhacking Archives, and taxing the corp’s a great way to do that.

Imp:

Imp’s a very cost-efficient virus. It can come down early game and really ruin the corp’s game. If you draw it late it’s mostly a Noise trigger, but it only costs two. It’s amazing how many people will clear viruses the moment you play an imp, too. I really don’t know why; it’s not that big of a threat mid-game. It’s also worth noting that other than “tight play and run things with counters on them” this is the closest thing the deck has to Scorched Earth protection. We figured it would be enough. Given the number of games we lost to Weyland (Collectively 0, I think), I’m going to say we were correct.

Crypsis:

Crypsis is the card that the deck revolves around. It’s the answer to the fundamental problem of virus-based strategies, in that it doesn’t use a ton of deck slots, it scales throughout the whole game pretty nicely, and it doesn’t waste MU. It also helps that it is ALSO A VIRUS, with all the interactions that entails. It triggers Noise, you can get it back with Deja Vu (and do so regularly, it dieing to counter loss, then being recurred with Deja Vu along with a trashed virus for another trigger, albeit a pretty expensive trigger, is a very common and pretty strong play.)

Account Syphon:

Account Syphon is arguably the best card in the game, and we can make better use of Account Syphon than most decks. Crypsis is extremely cash-hungry, and it allows us to provide a credible threat to all three central servers. (People ice HQ pretty heavily against Gabe. You’ll never hit with a T1 syphon that bankrupts the corp. But in Noise, nobody plays around it, so if you keep a Syphon hand there’s a pretty reasonable chance that you’ll be able to hit it turn 1, ditch two tags, and hit another server for free because they can’t rez ice.) Early Syphons also make games run long, and we need games to run long to build up the Noise triggers we need to ensure a win. It’s a lot of influence, but it’s not like we could spend that influence on anything better than “tons of money” anyway.

Magnum Opus:

Again, the deck is incredibly cash greedy and plays very long games. Opus would be a perfect fit if not for the MU cost, and even with it, it’s pretty good. We have to make Djinn trees sometimes, but that’s the price of life as Noise.

Aesop’s Pawnshop:

This is a core combo piece, allowing us to recycle viruses for Noise triggers/imp counters. It also ends Wyldside, and makes Codebusting more efficient. So why only one copy? Two reasons. First of all, influence is starting to get tight. Second, we don’t really care about it until pretty late. Grinding viruses with Deja Vu is a late game play, you don’t want to get rid of Wyldside until you’ve drawn with it for a few turns... The only reason to want to open with it is Codebusting, and I really don’t think that justifies a second copy. I did have one game where it shuffled to the bottom and I had to play under Wyldside for like four turns longer than I wanted to, and that sucked, but I think on the whole one copy is the right number.

Easy Mark:
MOAR MONEYS. (I’d play a Stimhack with my last 1 influence, except, you know...) Actually, this might be a good time to bring up the fact that as long as you’re operating under Wyldside all your economy Events are ½ a click more efficient, and that makes Easy Mark look a lot better to traditional analysis. Normally, it’s a click to draw, a click to play, and nets 3c. 1.5 credits per click, or 1 credit above baseline for time spent. This isn’t very good, the gold standard is (very roughly) 2 credits per click over time, or 2 credits above baseline for burst cash, but that’s what you get when you ask for something for nothing.. Under Wyldside, it’s 1.5 clicks for 3 credits, which is 2 credits per click and 1.5 credits above baseline, and it’s right where you want to be. It’s subtle, but all runner economy math is subtle in this game.

Armitage Codebusting:

There’s not much to say about this. I don’t think the deck has the option to play any economy cards that it doesn’t play. Crypsis is that hungry. (I don’t play Cyberfeeders. Sinquetica does.)

Liberated Account:

Similar to Armitage Codebusting and all other in-faction economy, you play this because you have to cast Crypsis four times a game, and it costs you nine to break a tollbooth. Before this was printed, I don’t think this deck would have been viable. The cards are just too expensive. It’s also worth noting that yes, you should sell Liberated Accounts to Pawnshop. It doesn’t make you more money, but the click you save is worth at least a credit, and sometimes more.

Stimhack:

This is the card that makes the deck so annoying to play against. The only options vs Stimhack for midrange slow-advance strategies that actually have to keep people out of a server (most notably Weyland) are to do their math assuming the runner has a Stimhack until they’ve seen all three (which slows the game down, which gets us Noise triggers) or to sometimes lose points to Stimhack. (This is assuming they have no tricks. You have to be very confident in your ability to read a table to play this deck effectively, because being baited into stimhacking a dead end (or worse, a Junebug) hurst a whole lot more than just running into an ambush.)

Grimoire:

Grimoire’s okay. The 2MU is better than the virus counters. On the whole, I feel like the deck operates much more smoothly when I draw one early, but I never miss it when I don’t. Not a star, but a worthy inclusion.

Infiltration:

Being able to read a table is vitally important to this deck. I’m confident in my ability to do that, but I didn’t want to be cocky, and I was entering a relatively unknown metagame. So a few expose effects were in order, and Infiltration breaks even on money if you don’t want it, so why not? In the end, I successfully read the table in three or four situations where I could have been helped meaningfully by an expose, read it incorrectly once and lost a game because of it, exposed one card at a critical moment, played Infiltration for cash never, won two or three games with Infiltration stuck in my hand, and lost no games with Infiltration stuck in my hand. On the whole, I think it performed okay.

Sure Gamble:

You can’t not play Gambles. I know people are always talking about how inefficient it is when Opus is your primary cashflow, but a fast start puts a lot of pressure on the corp, and we don’t want to play Opus until we have no other choice.

Deja Vu:

Deja Vu kicks ass. It gets Noise triggers. It gets Imp counters. It gets Crypsis back. It... breaks even economically if you sell two Datasuckers, get them back, and play them again!

Djinn:

Djinn’s an awkward card, in that playing it never feels good to me. It always feels really greedy, like I’m begging to get wrecked by a rototurret. That said, that didn’t happen to me once all tournament, and when you get down to it Djinn: Gives us +2 MU at a reasonable cost. Finds us viruses when we really need them. Lets us play six copies of Crypsis so we never have to go without one in the first few turns unless we got a really bad mulligan. Which is basically everything we could ask for short of also giving us a ton of money and free points.

Ice Carver:
Ice Carver breaks even once you break your fifth piece of ice, and it’s a slow trickle of efficiency from their on out. It’s never a big deal, and without the fixed strength breakers and Wyrm it’s less good than it usually is. It’s still pretty efficient though, and while I avoid long-term investments for the runner as a matter of practice, Ice Carver’s pretty good. That said, there’s never any particular time when I need it, it’s just nice to have. And I only ever want to see one copy, so I only play one copy. It’s performed fine, but it’s not really pulling it’s weight. If I had better cards to play in the slot, I would.

Wyldside (Brisingre):
Wyldside is a weird card. Playing it feels terrible. It’s like playing under a Forced Fruition, you end up discarding a bunch of cards, milling yourself, you can’t afford to charge Crypsis and make runs... But as long as you don’t get stuck with it, and as long as you play a lot of operations, it’s a pretty good way to get some gas into your virus plan. There’s a definite sweet spot for it, and if you’ve gone four or five turns without finding Pawnshop it starts to feel pretty bad. On the whole I think I like having it, but I still don’t love it. I think it won me one game I would have otherwise lost, and lost me one game that I would probably have lost anyway.

Cyberfeeder (Sinquetica):

I’ve never liked this card. I don’t like long-term investments for the runner, even pretty good ones... This game is full of two-cost cards that start making money in four or five turns if you can meet certain requirements, and to me it always begs the question of “what would you do for a PAD Campaign?” Cyberfeeder’s requirement is that you need to run or install a virus every turn for it to be profitable, and no matter how you feel about PAD Campaigns, I don’t find that we do that.

Notable Omissions:

Plascrete Carapace:

I’m pretty sure Plascrete Carapace is bad. A lot of people insist on playing it, and I’m 100% certain that it’s a mistake. Playing metagame-specific cards in your main 45 (which is your only option in a game without sideboards) is a value calculation. The formula is “Play a metagame specific card only if (the fraction of matches where it is relevant) * (the amount playing that card over something generically good helps your win percentage in that matchup) is more than (the fraction of your matches that aren’t that matchup) * (the amount that having dead draws instead of something generically good hurts your win percentage in those matchups.). Of course, those numbers are hard to pin down with any amount of accuracy without playing thousands of matches, but I think what it would take for me to start playing Plascretes is a field that’s 50% Weyland, and a deck with a 35% win rate against Weyland without Plascrete and a 65% win rate against Weyland with it. Neither part of that condition is true here. I expected a field of about ⅓ Weyland, I got less, and our win rate against Weyland is pretty good. It’s a dog’s life as Corp these days. The same logic applies to E3 Feedback Implants, more expose effects, link (see below), and any other card that’s only good against one corp.

Data Dealer:

We tested with Data Dealer, and it’s the best card in the deck. Games where Data Dealer comes down are games you win. He allows you to keep up constant pressure, count less on playing dice with Noise (You wait for the corp to draw out, rather than playing a tight game and then stimhacking Archives when you think you’re dead on board and praying the numbers work out) and often avoid playing Opus at all. The Data Dealer version of the deck has enough money to play Femme Fatale, which is also a big difference sometimes. Unfortunately, Data Dealer also produces some weird games where you sell your early agendas to strengthen your midgame, and then you get flatlined or things just don’t go according to plan and you lose with 0 points, and we figured there would be more matches where we lost 2-4 rather than won 4-2 due to Data Dealer than matches we won 6-0 rather than won 4-2. I ended up winning most of my runner games anyway, so I guess it comes out to a wash. I still hate that part of the tournament rules, though.

Wyrm:

I kind of wish I was playing one Wyrm, actually. It’s inefficient, but a little more consistency, interactions with Parasite.... I never tested with it, I might have to for the next iteration of the deck.

Other Icebreakers:

We just don’t have the MU to support the fixed-strength breakers, and we don’t have the influence or the MU to support a splashed breaker suite. Crypsis gets there, it’ll be fine.

Rabbit Hole/Other Link:

We have money. Who needs link? For that matter, who ever traces anybody in this game? At this point, it’s pretty close to just being NBN hate. I’d rather leave them be.

Dyson Mem Chip:

I tested with it. It’s too expensive, and you just don’t need to host that many viruses at one time. Djinn really has you covered. It was okay? And I don’t care about the link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My Tournament 2 Decks
Corp: Greediest Possible Weyland

ID: Bulding A Better World

Deck (49)

3 Project Atlas

3 Hostile Takeover

2 Posted Bounty

3 Priority Requisition

2 Project Junebug

3 Snare!

2 ChiLo City Grid

1 Corporate Troubleshooter

3 Beanstalk Royalties

3 Melange Mining Corp

3 Draco

3 Ice Wall

2 Shadow

3 Caduceus

2 Hadrian’s Wall

3 Archer

3 Hedge Fund

1 Enigma

1 SEA Source

3 Scorched Earth

This one worked out much less well. The theory behind it was that it was extremely dangerous to run against. The deck focuses very heavily on the Scorched Earth kill, and it’s full of ways to involuntarily tag runners. Scorched Earth hate pretty much ruins us, the calculation going into this was that people wouldn’t play too much of it. So far I was right about that part, I think I saw one Crash Space and no Plascretes or Decoys in all of my Swiss rounds. I actually thought this deck was a safer bet than Noise, but it didn’t work out as well. I’ll probably talk about this list less, because it’s not very good.

Card by Card:

Building A Better World:

This was the only Weyland ID. It’s okay. Free money, I like burst cash.

Project Atlas:
Project Atlas is probably the best agenda in the game, and we can take a lot of advantage of it. It finds Scorched Earth and SEA Source. It finds Snare! when they’re about to access HQ. It finds Hostile Takeover. Unfortunately, actually scoring it caused me a lot of problems. I thought I had enough small ice, but I had a really hard time defending my first remote server in nearly every game of the tournament.

Hostile Takeover:
Hostile Takeover is great. You can score it out of hand, it gives you money. Bad Publicity’s annoying, but fast cash is much better than slow cash in this game, I haven’t found the Bad Publicity to be that big a deal.

Posted Bounty:
This card exists for the combo kill. When you build a Tag and Bag deck, you have three basic options for agenda configuration. You can play 21 AP, you can can play 2x Bounty 3x Takeover, or you can play 3x Bounty 2x Takeover. (I suppose you can also do without one or both of them and play fewer agendas as well, particularly now.) I chose 2x Bounty 3x Takeover because I’m always happy to draw Hostile Takeover, but I only want to draw Posted Bounty under very specific circumstances. It’s really not that good a way to land a tag, in the scheme of things.

Priority Requisition:
At the time I built this, the question was “Priority Requisition or Executive Retreat?” I chose the card I’d tested with more heavily; I don’t regret it. I got a couple of free Archers out of it, I never saw someone get any value out of Executive Retreat. Discuss?

Project Junebug:
I chose to run Junebugs to punish people who try to play around Scorched Earth by facechecking anything with two counters on it. Beyond that, I’m never quite comfortable with a corp deck without traps. Hidden Information is the corp’s greatest advantage, and I wanted a deck that made good use of that. This is actually an interesting bit of theory; everyone talks about whether and how much this game favors the Runner, but no-one ever talks about why.

Netrunner has to be balanced so that, if both players make the best possible play 100% of the time, the runner will win more than 50% of games. A good corporation player knows their best play within a pretty tight tolerances, the only unknown variables within the game’s mechanics are the cards in the runner’s hand. A good runner is left constantly making educated guesses as to their best play, and no matter how good they are, sometimes those guesses will be wrong. If 50% of games played perfectly went to runners, the game would favor the corp in practice. The game, I think, is supposed to have a couple of percentage points in the runner’s favor to make up for that. Of course, I think it’s steered far too much in that direction, and apart from the win percentage statistics, I think it’s very telling that Fantasy Flight has printed a number of cards that negate a great deal of advantage from hidden information for just a handful of credits, and for the most part they don’t see high-level play. (Infiltration is the only Expose effect I consider playable, and I don’t play defensive runner cards like Deus X or Plascrete Carapace, but some people disagree on both counts.)

3 Snare!:

Snare! is brutal in this deck. It’s good in any deck that can afford to pay for it (and we have plenty of influence and plenty of money,) but we can make better use of it than any other deck except possibly Jinteki. Why? Because we can use the tag. Nobody will run on their last click against Weyland, but Snare! still sometimes sticks people with tags they can’t lose, and when it does it also almost always puts them in range of a single Scorched Earth. Seeing one Snare! also scares people away from HQ, and puts a bit of a damper on Medium. (Most people will just go ahead with Maker’s Eye, though. The numbers are in their favor.)

2 ChiLo City Grid:
As far as I’m concerned, this is a game about secret tech. (That’s an MTG term, referring to unusual inclusions that are good primarily because they’re disruptive to people who don’t expect to be playing against them.) ChiLo is my secret tech. This card is so underplayed that a lot of people have to read it twice. Nobody runs on their fourth click, but ChiLo punishes you for running on your third click, and people do that all the time. Even when they don’t, early-game runners often can’t afford to ditch two tags on a moment’s notice, and giving two tags is what ChiLo does best. ChiLo/Draco is two tags. ChiLo/Shadow is two tags. ChiLo/Caduceus is two tags. That’s eight cards in the deck, all good (or at least reasonable) ice on their own, that, with ChiLo, can give that lethal second tag. The only problem is that if you have to show the runner one, they’re close to useless for the rest of the game. There are no in-faction or neutral upgrades it could be, so it’s often very difficult to pass off as something else. ChiLo tricks are very dependent on drawing cards in the perfect order, but all in all I stand by this inclusion. Influence-wise, I’d rather have a third Snare! than a third one of these. It’s not useful in multiples, particularly.

1 Corporate Troubleshooter:
Got Money? Got Archer? Got an influence to burn? Corporate Troubleshooter is there for you.

3 Beanstalk Royalties:
Snare! is expensive to maintain. Hadrian’s Wall is expensive to rez. Draco is expensive to do anything with. ChiLo costs money. SEA source costs money. Scorched Earth costs a lot of money. This is where the money comes from. (I’m a huge believer in fast cash in this game. Slow income sources are predictable, and your opponent can plan for your weaker turns. Beanstalk Royalties means you never have to be too poor for a Scorch.) Also: Weyland triggers!

3 Melange Mining Corp:
Melange Mining Corp isn’t anywhere near as powerful here as it is in the HB Super Server decks that can keep it operational for six turns. It’s still a very efficient option, and we need all the money we can get.

3 Draco:
Draco only exists for ChiLo. It’s overpriced, awkward ice, and there’s no getting around that. However, there are some little tricks to making the most of it. The most important thing with Draco is to know the magic numbers. If you think you’re playing against Ninja, you set it to 1. If you think you’re playing against Mimic, you set it to 4. If it’s Femme or Pipeline, 3 is sufficient that it’s usually cheaper to fight the trace. 4 if they’re rich. If you’re playing against Crypsis, just leave it at 0 unless you’re loaded. This deck can produce a great deal of money, and it’s tempting to say “I’m a high roller, lets set it to 11” or something when you’ve got cash to spare. That’s a mistake. Once Draco’s set high enough that it’s consistently cheaper to dance with it, there’s not much point setting it higher.

3 Ice Wall:
Ice Wall is some of the best ice in the game. I almost never advance it (Commercialization and Because We Built It makes that more viable, but without them advancing ice is very inefficient.) Turn 1 is when this really shines; most of your starter ice costs 3, which means that you can’t very easily rez ice on HQ and R&D on turn 2. (You can, but you often have to click for a credit rather than take another, often more appealing, play.) Ice Wall fixes that.

2 Shadow:
Tracers that tag for ChiLo! Shadow has the advantage of being generally free, and having a base strength that’s very frustrating to Ninja. (Shadow is very close to strictly better than Hunter in Weyland, by the way.)

3 Caduceus:
Caduceus is some of my favorite ice. It’s got a double trace, and end the run, it’s sometimes free on turn 1, it gives me two ChiLo triggers... I love this card.

2 Hadrian’s Wall:
Hadrian’s Wall is too expensive and not good enough, but sometimes games go long, and I don’t know what I’d rather have in this slot. I can’t take Tollbooths, because my influence is all spent. I’m hoping Weyland gets some new late-game Ice printed soon, I’m sick of this thing.

3 Archer:
My calculated risk going into this was that losing points to Archer was worth how good Archer is. I don’t know if I still believe that, I think I lost as many matches by Archer points as I won games because of Archer.

3 Hedge Fund:
I have yet to find a deck that doesn’t want three Hedge Funds or Sure Gambles.

1 Enigma:
Of the cheap neutral ETR ice (At this time Enigma, Draco, Wall of Static, now also Chimera) Enigma is by far my favorite. Wall of Static is sometimes one more to break, but Enigma sometimes eats a click on the runner’s first turn, which I think is very important. If they didn’t run on their first click, it can discourage running a second time on turn 1, and often that saves you from suffering an R&D or HQ access if you can’t afford to rez ice on both. I only had one slot open for a cheap neutral ETR (After playing the usually-inferior Draco for ChiLo shenanigans,) so in one copy of Enigma goes.

1 SEA Source:
A single SEA Source is pretty standard in Scorched Earth combo. The circumstances under which SEA source wins games, no matter how many of them you play, more or less revolve around having Project Atlas counters. (Otherwise you need to have a huge credit advantage, SEA source, and two Scorches in hand.) Given that, it’s really not worth the influence to be able to set it up without Atlas slightly more often.

3 Scorched Earth:
You might actually be able to get away with two Scorched Earth for similar reasons, but no matter what you need to draw one copy of it, and three gives you some redundancy. If you only play two copies and Noise mills one of them, you’re in trouble.

Notable Omissions:

Executive Retreat:
I felt more comfortable with Priority Requisition, but I can see the benefits of this card. Does anyone who played it want to sell me on it?

Tollbooth:
I’d have loved Tollbooths, but I’d rather have tricks. This isn’t a super server strategy.

Data Raven:
Data Raven is a very popular card in Tag-n-Bag decks, and I can’t tell why people like it. Yes, it dispenses tags very efficiently, but it can never give the runner a tag they aren’t prepared to take. No one will ever let Weyland trace with it. Now, it’s a pretty solid piece of ice in any deck where tags are a must-answer threat, but people treat it as a combo piece and it isn’t. I wouldn’t mind having them, but I don’t have the influence to spend on “pretty efficient ice.”

Aggressive Secretary:
Aggressive Secretary would have been very good, but it costs twice as much influence as Junebug, and it’s not much more effective, if at all.

Things I’d do differently next time:

I wish I’d played Fast Advance of some description. Nearly all of my matches came down to “Crush with Noise, because that deck’s good and this metagame heavily favors the runner, then scrape together as many points as you can with Weyland so you can 4-2 the match, because that deck’s not so good and this metagame heavily favors the runner.” Actually winning your corp games would be nice, but 4-2s are wins in elimination, and for the most part they’re all you need to make the cut to top 16. (This time the cut was in the mid 21s. A record of 6 4-2 matches would have put you in 11th place.) With that in mind, I think it might be smarter to build a runner deck that wins games and a corp deck that loses games and wins matches. I might dust off my calculus and do the exact math in another post, but there are much more achievable sweet spots than “Win all your games.”

Things I’d do again:

Play the same list as a team-mate. Testing and piloting these lists together, sharing match stories and experience with Sinquetica during the tournament, was a lot of fun, and I think both of us did better because of it.
Play Noise. (Noise OP.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Bush
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
brisingre wrote:

Things I’d do again:

Play Noise. (Noise OP.)

Everyone keeps saying this but Gabe always seems to have a higher win% (including in this tourney).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bingo Little
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Especially good things about this noise deck:

3sure gamble and 3 liberated accounts: The problem with both sure gamble and liberated, especially for noise, is that after the first few turns it's rare to be getting your viruses out and have the credits on hand to pay for one of these extremely expensive cards if you draw it. However, by having 6 of these expensive eco cards in the deck, you have a wopping 52.9% chance of getting 1 in any 5 card hand. So, without mulligan for it, you're likely to pull off a solid early econ in over half of your games.

Things I don't like, without 3 wyldsides, you can't count on them. I played a 3-djinn 2-wyldeside deck for a long time and it plays like half of the time youre in a djinn-game, and the other half of the time you're in a wyldeside game (er....less than half). As others have mentioned, djinn and wyldeside don't work well together. Furthermore, you just don't maximize the chance to draw wyldeside which impacts the consistency. In the same way that 3sure gamble, 3 liberated increases consistency, 2 wyldesides 3 djinns does not. Add into this only 1 aesops and this deck will play with tons of variability which is not necessarily a good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fbush555 wrote:
brisingre wrote:

Things I’d do again:

Play Noise. (Noise OP.)

Everyone keeps saying this but Gabe always seems to have a higher win% (including in this tourney).

Oh yeah. I don't actually think Noise is overpowered. I just really like the deck, and it performed really well. I think the perception of Noise as overpowered is due to the not-uncommon case of his ID being worth, like, five points for what looks like no effort.

In terms of Djinn and Wyldside: I don't want to be a Wyldside game at all. It was slots 44 and 45, with Ice Carver in 43. I'd much rather play Djinn, it's a much more consistent strategy that never locks you down and doesn't mess up Crypsis. I only really want Wyldside late in games where I'm not doing very well in terms of points and have to rely on Noise to win the game for me. (If all I want to do is install viruses, Wyldside gives me viruses and money and digs for Pawnshop, Djinn gives me viruses and costs money, but I can actually host the viruses and use them.)

Going all-in on the Wyldside/Virus plan felt super inconsistent compared to the Djinn-driven "Harass remote servers with Crypsis and central servers with Imp/Accounts/Medium, then take free Noise points when you're sure you can win or you're sure you'll lose next turn" plan. However, with two card slots left in the deck, Wyldside felt like an ok backup plan. I never install a Wyldside turn 1. I'll often draw cards with clicks when I have one in hand, because until I'm willing to say "I can't hit anything anymore, it's Virus time" I need my clicks. It fills a different role here than it does in actual Wyldside versions of the deck, and I don't love the inclusion, but I don't think there's anything I would rather have played in it's place.

I would love a second Aesops, but not enough to cut a Siphon, and I need consistent Opus more than I need consistent Aesops.

It's a high-variance deck for sure. Every game it plays is much different. However, it's not inconsistent. How you win is different every game, but there aren't a lot of games where don't have the tools to do so. Variance is scary, but inconsistency is bad. (And it's already a scary deck to play. You sometimes have to do things like "Charge Crypsis twice, Sure Gamble, Stimhack a remote with three unrezzed ice without exposing the root of the server."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Chan
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had decent success with Executive Retreat in Weyland, at least, when Trace Amount was released.
Of course, it takes a different deck archetype, too. Tag-n-bag isn't going to fly here.

I ran a low-asset/asset-less, high draw, high operation Weyland with 3xHostileTakeover,2xPostedBounty,2xScorchedEarth and most of my influence on DataRaven, BigBrother, ClosedAccounts, and AnonymousTip. The idea is to steamroll the runner by forcing agendas through while they're trying to dance around tags. They can't just ignore tags either, because of the multitude of ways I can force respect. Flatline isn't the goal; I drop SE whenever I have the chance to slow the runner down. Since it's a high operation deck, my hand often empties out, so ExecutiveRetreat refills me to continue steamrolling at minimal click impact.
Bonus is HQ can be left lightly defended, because there's usually nothing of worth in there. Agendas hit the table almost immediately, operations can't be trashed, etc etc. In fact, having them see all the tag threat in my HQ is a further bonus because they get paranoid about tags.

It was a good counter to Criminal's aggression, because you match their momentum and continued to build long after they start buckling down for breakers. Bad Publicity could let them catch up pretty easily, though, so there's still some danger.
It was slightly weak agains Virus mills because of the high draw, but it also meant I got to play far more cards than milled. The reduced reliance on tag-n-bag combos means I don't care too much if I lose some tag punishment operations.
Didn't see many Shapers, but it's effectively a race to see if I could win (or get Atlas down with counters and one other agenda) before the bigrig was set up.

Probably the biggest weakness was multiple PlascreteCarapace letting runners get confident and ignore tags. While it's not an instant loss situation, my only bite becomes ClosedAccounts, which, with luck, I had probably shuffled back into R&D with ExecutiveRetreat and have zero Atlas counters to fetch it.

In the end, though, Cyber Exodus with Nerve Agent and the recent proliferation of Anarch/Vamp/Siphon/Medium decks kind of auto-countered most of my HQ-low-ice strategies I had been using since core.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.