Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the most hotly debated topics when it comes to Archipelago is whether players would prefer to lose as a team (rebels win) or lose individually (no rebellion, but player does not finish first). The rules make it clear that any non-rebellion result is intended to be ranked higher than any game ending in rebellion. However, many (perhaps most) players do not see it this way, and I have found this makes rebellion disproportionately likely and the Separatist role too strong. Because I think Archipelago shines with repeat play more than most games, my friend (I cannot take credit here) devised a simple scoring system to track results across multiple games. The intent is to incentivize players to work together to stop the rebellion and reduce the number of games that end in rebellion.

The numbers are not hard and fast, but the idea remains:

2 pts for a being a non-separatist and on the winning side.
+1 per position above last.
-4 pts for a non-separatist losing with no separatist in the game.
-2 pts for a non-separatist losing with a separatist in the game.

4 pts for winning as separatist.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Clausen
Denmark
København Ø
Perplexed
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could work - especially with a running score. If you played a finite number of games, one ore more of the last games could be hit by some speculating in certain doom being better then somebody finishing before you.

What it takes out of the game is the personality of the different players now that you put an exact number on the different finishing positions instead of it being up to the players to decide exactly how far they see them from each other.

/David

ps I for one try always to debate as cool as posible

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. Reminds me of a scoring system we established for a game group I was in during High School. All of our plays were compiled and we kept a running ladder. Pretty soon the ladder became the dominate game and our individual games were filled with all kinds of positional meta-gaming.

Essentially this is just adding another game on top of Archipelago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
Hmm. Reminds me of a scoring system we established for a game group I was in during High School. All of our plays were compiled and we kept a running ladder. Pretty soon the ladder became the dominate game and our individual games were filled with all kinds of positional meta-gaming.

Essentially this is just adding another game on top of Archipelago.

It's especially important for Archipelago because it puts a value on the different results. Without it, some people consider a joint loss better than an individual loss, which skews the game toward joint losses. The intention is to provide incentive for players to avoid joint losses, as the rules suggest this is a better outcome (all players "win" versus all players "lose"), and I think the game works better this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wojtyla wrote:
Could work - especially with a running score. If you played a finite number of games, one ore more of the last games could be hit by some speculating in certain doom being better then somebody finishing before you.

What it takes out of the game is the personality of the different players now that you put an exact number on the different finishing positions instead of it being up to the players to decide exactly how far they see them from each other.

/David

ps I for one try always to debate as cool as posible

The intent isn't to play a fixed number of games, although what you say is definitely true if you used it that way.

What you say about the personality of different players is true, but the problem with Archipelago is it disadvantages players who place a higher value on preventing rebellion. If I know my fellow players don't much mind losing as a group, but it is my intention to avoid such at all costs, I will constantly be the one having to contribute to stop it, which really hurts my chances of winning. The scoring system intends to distribute the onus evenly among players by quantifying the results uniformly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.