Subject: Help with Emergence Mission rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tiduz 99
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Morning,

I have played 'Emergence' 4 times now with 2 Cog. Each game I have been defeated. On two of the games I managed to close the emergence hole but was then promptly dropped on the Locust AI step.

My strategy has been fairly typical of other players I would think. After losing the first two games, I started having one cog close the emergence hole and the other stay back a bit. I also had my grenade thrower pick up one extra grenade at least.

In the two times I closed the emergence hole, both cog were promptly wiped out on the AI step. Bad luck is definitely part of the problem as each time the locust AI card has made the spawned Boomers attack.

Am I doing the below correctly?
1. Use AI cards 1-6 plus the Wretch, Drone and Boomer AI cards.
2. The omen activation on the Boom shot and Mortar targets friendly figures as well as enemies.
3. A drone rolls two defence dice if you throw a grenade (ignores cover) from a different area (one as printed on the Drone card + one as not in my area)

Any tips for Emergence specifically anyone can share?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udo G
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, at least #3 is not correct. An attack with a grenade attacks the SPACE (that's the reason, why cover is ignored), so a drone would defend with just 1 die (not 2!), even if it's in cover...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fanner
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stay in cover where possible.

Also if I wouldn't recommend keeping your COGs too far from one another. Although they shouldn't be in the same area, to avoid nasty Boomers spoiling your fun, they should be close enough to revive one another and to have some distribution in who gets attacked.

Other than that, just always consider Guards & Dodges carefully - would losing 1 life from the reaction prevent losing more than 1 if the attack went through?

And give your AI deck a good shuffle - you don't want all 6 general AI cards in a row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tiduz 99
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Roderick_the_Red wrote:
Well, at least #3 is not correct. An attack with a grenade attacks the SPACE (that's the reason, why cover is ignored), so a drone would defend with just 1 die (not 2!), even if it's in cover...

Have I interpreted the below correctly?
Does the lancer/gnasher etc. follow the below and grenades are just different?

My understanding of how to determine defence dice:
1. If the attacking figure is in the defenders area you only role the no. of dice depicted on the cog/locust card.

2. If the attacker is a space or more away and the defender is not in cover you roll one extra dice. (rule book makes mention of extra defence if not in area)

3. Same scenario as no. 2 but the defender is on a cover space and the attack does not pass through the cover line. E.g. Cog would roll 1 as stated on card, 1 as not in attackers area and a third as in partial cover

4. Same scenario as no. 3 but the attacker draws LoS through the cover barrier this time. Defender is in full cover.
E.g. Cog would roll 1 as stated on card, 1 as not in attackers area and a further 2 (4 total) as in full cover

The below is from the rulebook. The bold bit has made me think I roll an extra dice.
"+1 red defence die if the defender is in cover and if the attacker is not in its area.."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Kane
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
They'll tell you black is really white The moon is just the sun at night
badge
And when you walk in golden halls You get to keep the gold that falls It's Heaven and Hell
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Attacking a figure in same space or using a grenade: Defender only rolls their base defense dice as printed on their card. (Ignore cover)

2) Attacking a figure that is within range of your weapon and in partial cover (i.e. they are in a cover space not on the other side of the obstacle from you): Defender rolls base defense dice + 1.

3) Attacking a figure that is within range of your weapon and in full cover: Defender rolls base defense dice + 2.

4) Attacking a figure that is more areas away than the range of your weapon: Defender rolls base defense dice + applicable cover dice (if in cover, as above) + 1 defense die for every area farther away than your weapon's maximum range.

It's mainly important to check what type of cover the Locust has when you attack. The only other additional dice you have to worry about are when attacking at long range (i.e. a Locust 3 areas away using your Lancer). We try not to do that, as it's just free defense dice for the bad guys.

Also note that grenades cannot be used to attack a figure outside their range (within 2 areas) so the extra defense dice never apply to them anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
tiduz99 wrote:

The below is from the rulebook. The bold bit has made me think I roll an extra dice.
"+1 red defence die if the defender is in cover and if the attacker is not in its area.."

That is not correct - which page is that from?
You should only be adding extra defense dice if shooting beyond the weapons range, not if the figure is simply in aother area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udo G
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Mr Skeletor: It's from p16.

@tiduz99: At page 19 it clearly notes "Cover does not provide defense dice against Bolo Grenades".
The only way to get more than basic defence dice is the dodge reaction ability (which only COGs have...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Austin
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
tiduz99 wrote:

That is not correct - which page is that from?
You should only be adding extra defense dice if shooting beyond the weapons range, not if the figure is simply in aother area.

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I think it means 'you only get the extra defence dice if he's in cover AND not in the same area as you' - If he's in cover, but the same area, you don't get the extra dice'.

I guess the idea is... how can someone claim they're in cover, when you're stood 2 feet away from them pointing your gun at their face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.