Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question on Forest Spider rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nikos Pesmatzoglou
Greece
Agios Nikolaos - Anavyssos
Attiki
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Forest Spiders have that

Forced: After Forest Spider engages a player, it gets +1 ATK until the end of the round.


That means that a forest spider always fights with 3 attack, no matter how many rounds it will be engaged with the player or I get this wrong ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
He gets it only for the round when he engages you.

Spider engages
Gets +1 attack
.......
Round ends and his bonus is gone

Next round he is already engaged (unless you use something like that spirit card which sends an enemy back to the staging area, when he will engage someone again), so he does not get the bonus.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Pesmatzoglou
Greece
Agios Nikolaos - Anavyssos
Attiki
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks ... I was giving him +1 all the time
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Nettleton
United States
Richmond
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...
I was playing that the spider only gets the bonus if it engages you (via an engagement check). If YOU engage the SPIDER voluntarily, no bonus.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pastorbln wrote:
Hmmm...
I was playing that the spider only gets the bonus if it engages you (via an engagement check). If YOU engage the SPIDER voluntarily, no bonus.


I've always wondered about that... There are a few cards that say "After XXX engages you" - is it the same thing if YOU engage IT?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook page 16 wrote:
Whether an enemy is engaged through an engagement
check, through a card effect, or through a player’s
choice, the end result is the same, with the enemy
and the player engaging one another. In all cases, the
player is considered to have engaged the enemy and the
enemy is considered to have engaged the player.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Tempel
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Forest Spider gets the +1 whether you voluntarily engaged it or it engaged you via an Engagement check: Page 16 of the rules:

"Whether an enemy is engaged through an engagement
check, through a card effect, or through a player’s
choice, the end result is the same, with the enemy
and the player engaging one another. In all cases, the
player is considered to have engaged the enemy and the
enemy is considered to have engaged the player."

Otherwise, you could always choose to voluntarily engage the Spider before it could engage you, and it would never get its bonus.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny how many times you can go through a rulebook and still miss stuff like that... whistle

Thanks for the confirmation, that's how I'd been playing it, anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Nettleton
United States
Richmond
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.
I don't know what it is about this game. I usually read rules well and understand them pretty intuitively. For some reason, this one has given me fits.
Maybe something to do with my ever growing list of birthdays.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
dougtempel wrote:

Otherwise, you could always choose to voluntarily engage the Spider before it could engage you, and it would never get its bonus.

You couldn't "always" voluntarily enage it, nor would you always want to when you actually could, because each player is limited to voluntarily engaging at most one enemy each round.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Tempel
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
brunowolff wrote:
dougtempel wrote:

Otherwise, you could always choose to voluntarily engage the Spider before it could engage you, and it would never get its bonus.

You couldn't "always" voluntarily enage it, nor would you always want to when you actually could, because each player is limited to voluntarily engaging at most one enemy each round.


I agree that you wouldn't always want to engage the Spider to prevent its attack bonus (which we know is incorrect anyways). But you could always engage it if you wanted to; one player simply would choose the Spider as his voluntary engagement instead of a different enemy (if there are others in the staging area).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
dougtempel wrote:

I agree that you wouldn't always want to engage the Spider to prevent its attack bonus (which we know is incorrect anyways). But you could always engage it if you wanted to; one player simply would choose the Spider as his voluntary engagement instead of a different enemy (if there are others in the staging area).

What if there are two spiders? You can only engage one of them and the other gets to go after you if your threat is high enough.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.