Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I know some people live in areas that have numerous Xwing regionals in their area and they can probably drive less than an hour to several of them. What about those people that don't have numerous within an hour? Would you drive farther for one? How far? How many would you go to?

I live in Charlotte, NC, and we were slow in getting into the game. It has picked up right after the deadline for signing up for regionals. So, as it turns out there are regionals about 1.5 hours away in South Carolina. There are a few places that have regionals about 3 hours away. All on different dates.

Would you drive 3 hours for a regionals? Would you drive 1.5 hours? I'm just curious. If I have a buddy to go with, I'd drive 3 hours. I live in NC and we just don't have the population density like elsewhere for gaming. I'm used to driving for Warhammer tournaments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 2 hours would be my limit. I am fortunate that a store with 30 minutes of my house ran a regional. Another store 45 minutes away also ran one but I had other commitments that day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I doing 4 tournaments within a 2 hour radius of Boston. I don't think there's any others within 5 hours.

I'll do 5-7 hour drives for 2-day tournaments. I've driven to Montreal several times for BloodBowl tournaments (and the best pastries on the continent :3 ), and Philly once.

Flew to GenCon once on flightpoints primarily for the BloodBowl tournament.

I didn't think I'd go to Minnesdota for the X-Wing Championship. But now that I have a free entry ticket taunting me, I'm starting to calculate what I have available in flight miles and hotel points for November....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'm willing to (and currently planning to) travel up to about 2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodd Closson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I had two regional events take place within a 35 minute range. Went to both. I also went to one 2 hours away yesterday, which is my limit. And I hope to go to one that is 1.5 hours away in May.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kinney

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
I went to a Regional that was 3 hours away. Sure it made for a long day, because I made it to the final game, but it was absolutely worth it. I made friends, made connections, and I got to play! It was a great time, and I'd gladly do it again. Actually, come to think of it, FFG is 3.5 hours away, and my wife and son and I are going to that one. We're staying for the weekend, and there will be tons to do as well. But yeah, I'd go to one that's 3 hours away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got three within an hour of me.

Regionals will attract the best players, so it is a really good chance to test your squads and decide on something for tournament play, but what is the sportsmanship rule if you already won one?

If you already won a regional, should you play in anymore and possibly take that bye away from someone? Is it okay to play but forfeit in the finals?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Piqsid wrote:

Regionals will attract the best players, so it is a really good chance to test your squads and decide on something for tournament play, but what is the sportsmanship rule if you already won one?

If you already won a regional, should you play in anymore and possibly take that bye away from someone? Is it okay to play but forfeit in the finals?

Take a force you normally don't play and see how well you'd do with it. I wouldn't forfeit the final if you make it but I would offer the championship pass to the runner-up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Piqsid wrote:

I like Mundane's answer to your question(s), but I think the right question is this: by showing up, am I taking anything away from another player?

If you assume that someone with an average skill level would have replaced me, each of my opponents has a different chance of winning. Someone who loses to me might not have lost to my replacement; someone who beats me might have lost to my replacement. From that perspective, though, it's hard to say what the effect would have been and whether it would have made an impact on the final ranking.

You'd be most likely to make a difference in the standings at a very small tournament--if there are only 3 rounds, then 1/3 of your opponent's opportunities to earn wins are altered by your skill level. But at a very small tournament, there's also something to be said for showing up just to be a warm body: a tournament with more people is generally more fun than a tournament with fewer, and a tournament with 8 people is definitely more fun than a tournament with 7.

Since there are so many unknowns, I'm most comfortable with showing up as planned, playing an alternate or experimental list, and enjoying the heck out of myself without feeling any particular pressure--and if I should happen to still make the finals, just make sure I forfeit by the end of the match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hensley
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
heychadwick wrote:
Hi All,

I know some people live in areas that have numerous Xwing regionals in their area and they can probably drive less than an hour to several of them. What about those people that don't have numerous within an hour? Would you drive farther for one? How far? How many would you go to?

I live in Charlotte, NC, and we were slow in getting into the game. It has picked up right after the deadline for signing up for regionals. So, as it turns out there are regionals about 1.5 hours away in South Carolina. There are a few places that have regionals about 3 hours away. All on different dates.

Would you drive 3 hours for a regionals? Would you drive 1.5 hours? I'm just curious. If I have a buddy to go with, I'd drive 3 hours. I live in NC and we just don't have the population density like elsewhere for gaming. I'm used to driving for Warhammer tournaments.

Jim, would love to have you join us May 26 at Big Robot Games in South Carolina if you decide to travel. We're doing a Star Wars: The Card Game regional, too, on May 12 if you play that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing in Regionals is the best way to prepare for the Championships by playing folks from outside of your regular group in a full tournament setting and against more and more other squads. And it's fun to travel and meet new folks. So, yes, I'm going to keep playing.

I'll likely try a new squad in the next one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kinney

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
I won the Iowa City Regionals, but I really don't expect to make the finals of the FFG one May 4th. If I should happen to make it to the finals and win it, either I give it to a friend who is going, or I give it to the person I play against in the finals. Depends on my mood at the time, I guess. That's a lot of "ifs" though, so I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.