Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin W
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Sprechen Sie Talk?
mbmbmbmbmb
So finally got Carc to the table/floor this weekend and we played two games. The first game was just the base game and for the second we added the river and traders and builders.

Herself won both games so it is already a favorite.

First impressions were good we really enjoyed it my SO especially as she likes that it is puzzle like. We thought that The River didn't really add anything to the game (are we missing something?), Traders and Builders added a lot of city pieces which made for more varied cities.

Just one question, with the text in the rules of other players "advising" the person who just drew a tile as to where to place it, to what extent is that? I mean do I say "oh put it here and it will help me" because she will not do that .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The river mostly just makes it more difficult to merge farms, IMO.

As far as advising others about placement, I've never seen that really come into play in a 2p game. In a game with more people, you can point out that what person A is about to do will benefit person B too much...then subtly suggest something that will benefit you more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue 80
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The river mostly just makes it more difficult to merge farms, IMO.

I also like how it creates more diffuse choices at the beginning of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smilin' Stan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wi1ky wrote:
Just one question, with the text in the rules of other players "advising" the person who just drew a tile as to where to place it, to what extent is that? I mean do I say "oh put it here and it will help me" because she will not do that .

For new players I will offer genuine helpful advice. It's up to them to work out when my advice starts to become a little biased

It's an optional rule and it makes more difference in 3+ player games. It's nice to be able to see the drawn tile and consider where it will go even if you don't offer advice, making the downtime between turns more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Meeple
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
My first time playing with the included River expansion, my girlfriend and I just mixed them up with the other tiles to be drawn and made a crazy looking map. After further reading of the rules, you start by placing the spring tile first and draw the river tiles randomly until you are left with the lake tile, placing meeples accordingly along the way. After that, mix the rest of your tiles "in the bag" and play off the river. It will border your farmers reach on either side. Also get Inns and Cathedrals to maximize your cities and road scores. I love this game, although no one at my game night plays it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
my girlfriend and I just mixed them up with the other tiles to be drawn and made a crazy looking map

My River I set has a dark backing like the starting tile. Wouldn't you have noticed which tiles were light or dark? (unless you were using the tile bag)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.